Chapala.com Webboard

Shots Fired Upper Riberas for last 2 hours

mkshawn

It is now after 11:00pm some a__Hole is still keeping the kids & adults awake with slow repeat rifle fire interspersed with a few Bombas.

I know most people do not want to get envolved with someone with a gun but you would think that the police would want to be on top of this.

Anyone with this amount of ammo has got to be connected? The question is to who?

This is a very loud and noisy celebration each year. Gunfire in the air interspersed with cohetes or other fireworks late at night is not an unusual way for some to celebrate. I am sure the police were very helpful to you. What you are describing used to be commonplace, but not so much anymore. The continual loud noises here for the next week is one of the reasons so many flee to the beach at this time every year.

Your speculation that this was from someone who is " connected", whatever that means, is exactly that. Speculation.

I feel sorry for you, but...this is Mexico....

It's not unusual that a newcomer here might think they are hearing "gunshots" this time of year - especially if you are from the USA which is awash in guns, gun nuts, and gun-related violence. That sound could trigger anxieties for that reason.

However, here, the fiesta fireworks AKA cohetes or kwaytays, are a long standing custom to express celebration, mostly at the patron saint and virgin fiestas that emanate from the Church. Usually you wouldn't hear them in Riberas which is a ways from the San Andres Church in Ajijic, currently holding it's patron saint fiesta.

For more on cohetes:

http://ajijicnews.com/pages/kwaytays

Could anyone please accurately describe the difference between the sound of fiesta fireworks and an actual gunshot? It's been many years since I've heard a live gun.

AS for the noise, it will soon be over with - unlike the ongoing, much more serious noise problems from certain local bars and their loud amplified "entertainment" AKA torture for the neighbors, which goes on all year around - until the neighbors get together and take actions to get it stopped or modified.

Looks like the weather hasn't been so great at the beach this week.

EZPZ it looks like you can add the Lenzo Charro to your list of ongoing noise nuisances now that they are the new "Rave" venue in town. They used to start in the late afternoon and quit by 10 or so, but now it goes for 8 hours ending around 1:30 on school nights.

Someone suggested this is because parents think their kids are "safer" attending Raves here in Ajijic. I sorta wonder what kind of "parents" allow their kids to stay up this late on school nights.

But of course this is all longstanding "Mexican" culture despite having really gotten going in just the last few years. Those of you in the Mexican community who have lived around these places for decades without having this inflicted on you, or those expats who may have bought years ago before this started are obviously to blame for not being able to foretell the future here.

No doubt some of the "Mexican culture" advocates will soon be out campaigning for Mexicans to repeal the noise laws they enacted. They should just grin and bear it like the rest of us, eh?

ezpz, the difference between a gun shot and cohetes, fireworks etc. is distinctly different. During my 7 years there I heard my share of fireworks etc. I lived near the "park" at the lower end of Riberas and one morning I was awakened by a noise and then about 30 seconds later I heard a second noise which was obviously a gun shot and then 3 more. Then, a car driving away without lights and about 3 days later they found the bodies of 5 people in freezers in upper Riberas. So, gun shots or fireworks?

Here in TX we all have guns, and I might add, crime is pretty much non-existent. But it's also a hunting area and so I hear gun shots of all calibers, shotguns, rifles, pistols and it's very easy to distinguish them from fireworks - which we also have for festive occasions.

Here in TX we all have guns, and I might add, crime is pretty much non-existent. But it's also a hunting area and so I hear gun shots of all calibers, shotguns, rifles, pistols and it's very easy to distinguish them from fireworks - which we also have for festive occasions.

Yes,it easy to distinguish them.

As far your claim that crime is pretty much non-existent in Texas..not so sure about that one..

It is only easy to tell the difference once you have heard the difference. As an army brat, I certainly know. I guess the best thing to say is, if you are not sure whether you heard a gunshot or rifle, then you probably did not.

Sorry for the implied generalization re:Texas and crime. I was referring to the area I live in, in Austin where they hate guns there is lots of crime, but there only the bad guys have guns. Come first of the year TX is going to "open carry" that will be interesting.

I do miss cohetes in the early morning, noon and night - like I miss an infected hemorrhoid.

Long guns are/were always 2 distinct possible 3 sounds: Muzzel discharge, travel to target, the strike! A bomba or cohere is one loud bang around here, I realize that sky burst rockets are different both in a visible trail & their sound. Ground burst is one loud bang.

My neighbour is either away or used up all available ammo. Thank goodness!

Sorry for the implied generalization re:Texas and crime. I was referring to the area I live in, in Austin where they hate guns there is lots of crime, but there only the bad guys have guns. Come first of the year TX is going to "open carry" that will be interesting.

Yes,that will be interesting,I see images of the OK Corral.

Better work on your quick draw,giltner.

Archived