Chapala.com Webboard

Seniors High Tea at the Lake Chapala Society

Sorry about quality of post; new to this and not sure how to past graphics.

L.C.S. Senior’s High Tea

Conversation and Company

with

Sandwiches and Scones

(and strawberry jam of course)

When: Friday, December 11th - 3:00 pm – 5:00 pm

Where: Lake Chapala Society (side gate for easy, level access)

Cost: 30 pesos

Phone: 766-1140 to reserve your spot.

Probably a Canadian or a Brit. It's a lovely idea and great fun, and in England few things sparkle shinier than teatimes. Consider if the laws were changed NOB to get rid of coffee breaks. Chaos.

In England, elevenses, afternoon tea and high tea are part of the social contract. I think it's a great idea.

I do not understand the need to mock and criticize everything LCS attempts to do. LCS should be able to post events here just like everyone else without the organizers being made fun of. Don't attend if it is not your cup of tea but leave other people alone to enjoy their pastimes.

I do not understand the need to mock and criticize everything LCS attempts to do. LCS should be able to post events here just like everyone else without the organizers being made fun of. Don't attend if it is not your cup of tea but leave other people alone to enjoy their pastimes.

Good grief : "mock and criticize"? How about simply seeing a little humor in the concept? ^_^

Good grief : "mock and criticize"? How about simply seeing a little humor in the concept? ^_^

It is not just this thread, Gringal. LCS is an ongoing punching bag for several of you. if this was the only time (or even one of a very few times) this sort of thing happened I would have neither noticed nor commented. Sorry if my post annoyed you as much as the mocking posts annoyed me.

It is not just this thread, Gringal. LCS is an ongoing punching bag for several of you. if this was the only time (or even one of a very few times) this sort of thing happened I would have neither noticed nor commented. Sorry if my post annoyed you as much as the mocking posts annoyed me.

Your post didn't annoy me at all. You're entitled to express your opinion. IMO (as a long time member) LCS has come up with some peculiar ideas: "high tea for seniors" seems like one of them. The place is already a "senior center".( I speak as one in that age group.) The recent "free-esta" was another, where it turned out to be many organizations with fundraising pitches, and a band with sound equipment so bad that it hurt my ears.

I'll give them credit where credit is due. The Childrens' Art Program and the Sunday talks, along with a nice opportunity to hang out and socialize with snacks for those who are alone and would otherwise not be out and about so much. They also have interesting movies, physical fitness and dancing programs, along with language learning opportunities. In addition, the gardens are a pleasure. All in all, it's worth supporting, but no organization has the privilege of being above and beyond criticism.

I did not say anything close to LCS being above criticism. What was mostly posted in this thread was mocking and derision. It is okay to laugh at people for their efforts if you wish but then don't pretend it was something more than that.

The good part of our ongoing discussion is that it is keeping this thread high up in the New Content section. Maybe more people who like the idea will see it and attend.

I did not say anything close to LCS being above criticism. What was mostly posted in this thread was mocking and derision. It is okay to laugh at people for their efforts if you wish but then don't pretend it was something more than that.

The good part of our ongoing discussion is that it is keeping this thread high up in the New Content section. Maybe more people who like the idea will see it and attend.

"It is okay to laugh at people for their efforts if you wish but then don't pretend it was something more than that."

In the interest of keeping this high in the New Content section, I don't know what that sentence means. Pretend what?

I'm not laughing at the people and their efforts, I'm laughing at the idea itself. I'd never laugh at the well meaning volunteers who are tasked with making this work. When the first high tea happens, my curiosity will compel me to walk through the grounds and see what's up.

High tea included a cooked component - what is being offered here is simply "tea".

Scones are cooked.

So what is a High Tea?

Answer: Afternoon tea is served around 4.00pm. When afternoon tea became fashionable in the early 19th century, thanks to the Anna, the Duchess of Bedford it was never intended to replace dinner but rather to fill in the long gap between lunch and dinner at a time when dinner was served at 8pm.

http://britishfood.about.com/od/faq/f/highteavafttea.htm

RV has a point. Wear nice shorts and shirts, folks and no white socks! :)

I didn't take the light humor here as mocking or deriding and I'll bet most of the readers of the thread don't either.

LCS is trying out a number of things as part of making itself more relevant and attractive to the community. As with all try outs, some things will work better than others.

Now if you are really talking about HIGH High Tea, check this out:

http://www.theritzlondon.com/afternoon-tea-menus/

Scones are cooked.

http://britishfood.about.com/od/faq/f/highteavafttea.htm

RV has a point. Wear nice shorts and shirts, folks and no white socks! :)

I didn't take the light humor here as mocking or deriding and I'll bet most of the readers of the thread don't either.

LCS is trying out a number of things as part of making itself more relevant and attractive to the community. As with all try outs, some things will work better than others.

Now if you are really talking about HIGH High Tea, check this out:

http://www.theritzlondon.com/afternoon-tea-menus/

...and I want clotted cream with my scones. A high point in my student days was my Scottish landlady bringing me freshly baked scones. OMG, it doesn't get much better than that.

I'm glad you "got" the meant-to-be light-hearted teasing most of us were doing, with no malice intended. Let's face it, "high tea" and Mexico? giggle.

Will it be like tea at Raffles in Singapore, or at the Mandarin in Hong Kong? I remember those from better days, long ago.

Technically that's afternoon tea. High tea is what many of us would call 'supper'. It's traditionally the working class meal that comes at the end of the work day. Afternoon tea is more posh and is meant to bridge the time between lunch and dinner for those who dine at 8 or 9 in the evening instead of 5:30. The two terms have become confused in the minds of most Yanks and many others as well. I think it's nice for the LCS to try a new idea.

Archived