Chapala.com Webboard

Cost to build swimming pool?

A small 22' x 16' 10 years ago was done by Techna Aqua for 17-thousand USD. Paid 22-thousand for a 30' by 16' 3 years ago but had a crooked, imo, gringo contractor so probably over paid. Now I would check with Rudy at the Granite/Marble store on the service road which parallels the carrtera between Rio Bravo and Yves or Dental Express in west Ajijic. I've seen a couple he's built complete with fountain and his work was good and his clients pleased.

We're looking into the feasibility of having a small swimming pool built. Have you done so? What size and how much did it cost? Would you recommend your contractor?

Thanks, Eric

Before you do this, check with a realtor about the widely held notion that a swimming pool actually decreases the value of a property.

I'm not sure I'd call it "minimal". The only friend who doesn't complain about the cost and amount of upkeep is the one who swims nearly every day.

I buy some Chloro about every other month. My gardener maintains the pool. The pool is solar heated and on a meter with some back yard lighting, bodega lighting and a small freezers. Average CFE bill on that that meter is less than $200 Pesos. What's to complain about?

I cannot imagine living here in this climate without a pool. i am still swimming every day My pool is solar heated but I do not use a cover because of the dogs. I have a pure water system so I do not use chlorine I do put muric acid in to keep the PH low. I have solar electric so running the pump is not a problem. Gustavo built this pool for me. This is my third house and 3rd pool I have had built here This one is the best. Gustavo has an excellent reputation and speaks English 333-157-3048 Give him a call for pricing.

I cannot imagine living here in this climate without a pool. i am still swimming every day My pool is solar heated but I do not use a cover because of the dogs. I have a pure water system so I do not use chlorine I do put muric acid in to keep the PH low. I have solar electric so running the pump is not a problem. Gustavo built this pool for me. This is my third house and 3rd pool I have had built here This one is the best. Gustavo has an excellent reputation and speaks English 333-157-3048 Give him a call for pricing.

"I cannot imagine living here in this climate without a pool."

Really? I'll assume you're joking. :huh:

Maybe she can imagine living here without a pool....many do.

It is interesting to note than for some, there seems to be no difference between "wants" and "essentials". I, and most of my neighbors can imagine living without a pool, easily, since none of us has one.

So, does that make the "joke" clear enough? :unsure:

I have a pool and not heated and man it is cold and also a lot of money in maintenance. Was fine when kids were here swimming daily, now just a money pit plus weather not optimal as once was..colder,more mosquitos..and yes it is beautiful when lit up at night. I could do without it if I had enoughmoney to fil it in and do something with yard it is a big size pool and ot usual shape.

I and my neighbors have pools and we can't imagine not having one. It's simply a matter of personal desires and choice.

Please. It's about the money. Period. Let's be real. The Elitists among us obviously don't know the difference between "wants" and "needs". A lot of people would "like" to have a private swimming pool. The majority of people living in this area can only fantasize about it. I can't believe some of what I'm reading.

I'd fill mine in if it were practical. I've read about the requirements NOB for filling in a pool... some areas don't let you do it, because of all the possible dangers of subsiding soil and sink holes. I write that knowing that the legal environmental concerns are out of control where I used to live. But still, there are real concerns about filling in a pool and compacting the earth properly.

Anyway, there are a lot of maintenance issues and expenses involved in keeping equipment running and the pool heated, even with solar. Even here it's too cold to use for a good part of the year. But hey, it's pretty when it's lighted at night. :)

Archived