Chapala.com Webboard

driving around Guadalajara to Ajijic

palmajeank

Take the periferico south before getting into Guad proper. Stay on it to the Chapala exit from the right lane. Watch your speed there are radar cameras as well as police pickups. You come in to the periferico at the 9:00 position and go anti clockwise to the 5:00 position, a somewhat more than 1/4 of distance round.

Exit will say Chapala and airport.

How far out of Guadalajara is the Colima exit. Would we still be on 15 and then take that exit? Is Colima a town? I looked on our map and couldn't find it. It sounds good to have a less intimidating way to get there. We will have been driving that day for over 6 hours. Does 54 have an exit to Jocotopec? Is Lopez Mateo Sur a town? I feel pretty dumb asking these questions but I'm hoping there are no really dumb questions after all.

"Mexico" here refers to Mexico City, the Distrito Federal. Highway signage in this country is easier to follow by heading "toward" the city mentioned rather than the highway number.

I think that following the Airport and Chapala signs will be easiest for a newcomer.

The Jocotopec route can be confusing, as signage has never been very good on that route.

So: Continue on 15D and as you approach Guadalajara there will be increased traffic. Eventually, you will see signs for AEROPUERTO, with the familiar airplane symbol. Follow those and you will be directed onto the periferico and then onto the exit to ward the airport and CHAPALA. As you approach Chapala, you will see a sign for Ajijic and may take that road, or continue straight into Chapala, where you will find another sign for Ajijic, if that is your destination.

Islander has the easiest route. If you continue on the periferico towards Chapala the traffic gets very heavy and the signage can be quite confusing. Best to get off the periferico as soon as possible (Colima exit onto Avenida Lopez Mateos) as the periferico can be very intimidationg as the traffic is usually heavy. Don't worry about the #54 as the signage for Colima is very clear and obvious. It is a breeze to go this route rather than via Chapala as you are quickly away from the heavy traffic and it is a much better road.

After driving on Lopez Mateos which becomes # 15 for about 20 minutes you exit on to the road that goes past Jocotepec (#15) (I think the sign for this exit says Mazamitla).

A few weeks ago after shopping in Guadalajara with two Mexico friends from Chapala I drove them back via Lopez Mateos and Jocotepec. They were amazed how much easier this route was than via the airport and the road surface is better and there is no photo radar.So coming from Mazatlan you leave #15 and get on the periferico for about 10 minutes and then exit to Colima on Lopez Mateos to the right. After about 20 minutes on #15 and Lopez Mateos you exit right on to # 15 towards Mazamitla. These two turns are really the only turns you have to make as the rest is clear sailing to Chapala (except for the obvious two turns before and after Jocotepec).

I'll have to agree with RV on this one depending on time of day arriving at the Periferico. And when driving the Periferico, best to stay in the center or move with traffic in the left lane as there will be many many trucks in the right lane.

Soon, all of this will be bypassed by the new south ring road cuota which will be ready in about a year. It completely avoids Guadalajara. That is a good thing. :)

They changed the signs on the exit to periferico, it no longer say Aeropuerto or Mexico.
The exit to periferico now says Colima, Tlajomulco, click for image how it looks like:

https://www.google.com.mx/maps/@20.699097,-103.4579542,3a,75y,154.2h,100.71t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1smB9yHf_DqB2tgxHxzYeMxg!2e0!5s20150701T000000!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en
The last sign which is placed right on the exit it says Colima, Tlajomulco, Periferico Sur

https://www.google.com.mx/maps/@20.6981038,-103.4572165,3a,75y,125.32h,89.91t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sG7hPrny-g3RUmF_BVfDJqA!2e0!5s20150801T000000!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

When on periferico take the exit to Chapala, aeropuerto:

https://www.google.com.mx/maps/@20.5892657,-103.3236262,3a,37.5y,52.78h,89.73t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1ss0YcmQ_3FshkiXDyZP505Q!2e0!5s20150701T000000!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Then all the way straight to Chapala.

In any case you miss the exit to Periferico, continue straight ahead
and when you arrive to some kind of Y-split with black/white cubes in the middle you need to take the right side:

https://www.google.com.mx/maps/@20.6778932,-103.417589,3a,75y,111.68h,89.62t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sXBh9UVjR7h3mIDFEc6TeBA!2e0!5s20150701T000000!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

From then, it is all the way straight on, until you see the signs to airport.
https://www.google.com.mx/maps/@20.6252783,-103.3281083,3a,75y,140.45h,90.74t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sS2O80x2JJIb1rwdKnDyQNg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

The exit itself is however without signs: (Keep right here)

https://www.google.com.mx/maps/@20.6247447,-103.3264648,3a,75y,117.25h,82.17t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sl6KJXyq0CvnCMY-uPlt6WA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

When you took this exit take again the next exit this time it does show Chapala and airport sign:

https://www.google.com.mx/maps/@20.6244142,-103.3243663,3a,75y,118.12h,94.81t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1solNcmdZTk5F8zcIFCDkccg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Take that exit and then it is only straight on to chapala without taking any exits.

Some prefer to exit at Lopez Mateos, but the most intimidating part of Periferico you already passed by then (going from 4 to 3 and back to 4 lanes without any painted lines on a part between Av. Guadalupe and Lopez Mateos). The part after that is mostly only busy but i don't find that part intimidating at all, especially if you keep the left lane until you arrive to the exit you won't need to worry anything. I prefer mostly the Aeropuerto route.

Do you have a GPS with Mexican maps? if so, make sure to update it right before you leave, online. Go to Google Earth and get the coordinates of the address you are going to. Input them instead of the address and then it shouldn't get mixed up. Its more reliable than an address. This will help greatly to guide you on the way although it will definitely not know about construction zones, etc., in Mexico. If you miss a turnoff or take a wrong turn, etc., it will be great to help you figure your way out of the mistake.

You have probably been told this before, but take it seriously. Do not drive at night, especially when you are new to Mexico like you are. There are too many hazards, so you should plan to stop for the night in plenty of time before dark.

Second Islander and cedros. The exit sign indeed says Colima first, Just after you leave the main highway you should see a huge spaceship-looking arena, I think a TelMex stadium, on your right. Before you are whisked up into outer space you will find the Mazamitla exit, also to the right, but several miles onward, which will allow you to proceed directly into Joco, or take the new scenic bypass, which heads east and gives you absolutely fabulous views of the Lake you are already falling in love with... believe me, If I could do this, smartphone ignorant and without GPS, you can do it too!

OMG! Ok let me get this straight. If we decide to do the Periferico we get off at the Colima exit and if we decide to not do the Periferico we get off on the Colima exit. There is no Aeropuerto sign or Mexico City sign from 15D. This is how I am interpreting all of your input. We lived in Nicaragua and owned a truck there and drove all the time all over the country. We are used to congestion. BUT we just drove 5,000 miles in Italy and got a ticket about 4 months after we got back because they caught us on the radar speeding (even though we always went with the flow of traffic). MOSTLY just tell me this for the Periferico what exit off of 15 D do we take and for the Joco way which exit do we take. I want to thank you all for the help. I was in Ajijic in May and know how wonderful all of you are. BUT I am a BLONDE so just give me the exits and I'll do the rest. THANKS again!

OOOOOH! I hear you! My blonde is definitely platinum, but here is what I can tell you from a cougerblonde perspective.....approaching from the west, within minutes of encountering the astonishing collection of...stuff? offered there, in Zapopan, on the right, start looking on your right for "Colima" signage. You will pass the space station on the right, and next, an outlet plaza on the right. Then a few klicks down the road, and sorry I don't know how many, you will see an exit sign for Mazamitla. Take it! It will take you to Joco directly or via bypass. Mazamitla might be a fun half day trip unless you are a hardcore hiker, in which case you might want a coupla days. There are waterfalls and other sporty pastimes I no longer pursue.

Thanks blondie! I was in Mazamitla in May. I loved it. So from one blonde to the next you think the best way to go is the way to Jocotopec? From 15D going that way how long should it take to arrive in Ajijic. We will be driving from Mazatlán that day. Us Blondes need to stick together! LOL!

Have been watching this post and laughing to myself. With all the different instructions it no wonder confusion has set in. The Joco way is very confusing the first couple of times you take it. Very easy to miss the turn offs. If you don't have a GPS with current Mexico take the Periferico.

I always try to give first timers the KISS keep it simple instructions. Highway numbers are basically non exsistant on signs or so faded you can't read them. Use names only, that what Mexicans do.

As you enter the outskirts of GDL from the north you will exit right. The first sign will say "Tlajomuclo Perferico Sur"... the last sign will say "Colima Tlajomulco" Exit right.

Follow the periferico for about 10 minutes. You will pass under a sign that displays each lanes speed as the cars pass under it. The exit for Chapala will be appx 2 kilometers or 1.2 miles. Exit to Chapala highway.

No more turns until you are at the lake!!

Simple 2 turns to the right....

I agree to Mostlylost the periferico/aeropuerto way is easier, especially for first timers. The other way by Lopez Mateos it happened even to me i missed an exit because of some unclear signage/traffic. It looks very easy when you drive it and you know the way already, or when you are sitting next to one who knows the way, but when you do it yourself you can easily take a wrong exit.

However the periferico to chapala highway is more like 20 minutes without traffic, 10 minutes you should be flying.

The exit to the chapala highway does mention Aeropuerto too:
https://www.google.com.mx/maps/@20.5892901,-103.3235254,3a,75y,64.48h,91.73t/am=t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sdi3CkzPPTVnT7I61OgxU0A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Archived