Chapala.com Webboard

Have mice...need source for mothballs...and ANY other advice...

DeborahM

...recently moved to the countryside...LOVE it...but have these critters who really seem to like my house...will try anything suggested, thanks!

Have traps with cheese and peanut butter, they eat it and leave thank you notes.

Tried fabric softener sheets...I think they made new clothes with them.

Spread citrus peel all around. Yeah, they don't like THAT at least.

Do NOT want to cohabit with mice.

Advice from non-newbies here GREATLY appreciated!

The only problem with Pega Rata is that it leaves them still alive and squealing...then you have to drown them in a bucket of water...and then I cried.

Like the OP, I don't want to co-habit with them but I don't want to kill them either.

I found two threads from the past about moth balls...what they're called in Spanish (Bola de naftalina) and where to find them.

http://www.chapala.com/webboard/index.php?showtopic=27416&hl=%2Bmoth+%2Bballs

http://www.chapala.com/webboard/index.php?showtopic=52065&hl=%2Bmoth+%2Bballs

Have mice....need cat.

Not ours, however. He's way too lazy and worthless. Mice would run all over his body and he wouldn't bother to wake up.

Go to Riberas shelter and get a REAL cat!

Seriously, peanut butter on the old standard spring traps always worked great for us. For Mexican mice, you may need to add a little Salsa.

Have you seen them? I had geckos and they pooped like mice and ate things left out.

Go to any one of the hardware stores and put out rat poison outside. Works like a champ. none outside, none inside

As far as cats, they will keep them away because the mice smell them. Get a Rat Terrier, he will run them down and kill them

For the inside go on google and look up "water glass mouse trap". Requires a water glass, a 10P coin and some peanut butter. Works better than any commercial trap. When you catch one, slide the water glass off on a piece of cardboard, go to the toilet and at the same time, flush the toilet and remove the cardboard. Sing "Anchors Away" as he leaves the earth

Oh Lord! I can tell jrm065 has never had to assist when trying to save a dog or cat that has eaten a mouse that has been poisoned. It could be a small child too. Very young children test everything by putting it in their mouths. If a person knows what can happen and puts out poison anyway, that is as bad as it gets. Get a cat. Better two. They like company, live longer than dogs and don't eat nearly as much. As you read above, cold weather is coming. Cats are warm and like to snuggle.

...recently moved to the countryside...LOVE it...but have these critters who really seem to like my house...will try anything suggested, thanks!

Have traps with cheese and peanut butter, they eat it and leave thank you notes.

Tried fabric softener sheets...I think they made new clothes with them.

Spread citrus peel all around. Yeah, they don't like THAT at least.

Do NOT want to cohabit with mice.

Advice from non-newbies here GREATLY appreciated!

Here is a solution. See the video on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSk79YcuIRQ

The hardware store in Chapala a block East as you go through the main intersection traffic light driving from Ajijic. It is on your left . Just ask for the Naptha bolsa, they will sell you as many as you want.

You may try one of the glue traps ...they may well be the geckos'...you will soon know. Good luck in your hunt.

If you don't want a cat around and don't want to use sticky traps the only effective thing left is snap traps. They have been used for many, many years in many places because they work. I've have found that cheese isn't any good as they can take it without setting off the trap. Peanut butter pressed onto the trigger works much better.

Maybe a rat zapper would work. Moth balls, citrus peel, fabric sheets, etc. are all pretty ineffective. Also who wants the stink of moth balls around?

Are you sure they are mice?

I've had the worst problem with mice this year. They ate the peanut butter and oatmeal off snap traps and glue traps. I finally put scotch tape on the glue traps to keep them in place (they were pushing them out of the way) and was persistent about setting the snap traps. I've caught 3 so far. There is evidence that they were in my clothing, kitchen and bathroom drawers. Probably in my kitchen closet also. My dog used to catch then and leave them for me but she is 12 now and sleeps through the night. Just be persistent. Traps against the wall where you see evidence of their travel. Tape the traps down so they can't move them. And keep setting them. Don't know if I got all of them but will keep setting traps.

Yes a young cat will do the trick, but my lab doesn't like cats:(

Every hardware store sells small packages of 'veneno para ratas', which are plastic

bags about the size of your thumb containing treated grain. Very inexpensive.

Place a package in mouse traffic lanes, preferably up off the ground. No need to

open the package, mice are quite capable of opening it themselves.

Place new packages as needed to provide a continuous supply. When

packages remain untouched/unopened after a couple of days, your mouse

problem is gone. This works for all small rodents, mice, rats, etc.

Mothballs are called Naftalina. You can buy them by the piece of by the kilo at the hardware store just east of Deli Eight and Handy Mail in San Antonio, lake side. We had mice eating the rubber insulation on our hoses, wires, etc. on the engine of our car. Toyota Mike told us to put mothballs in a small zip lock bag, punch holes in the bag with ice pick and place a bag on both sides of the engine resting on the wheel well where it doesn't get hot. No more mice. the mothballs evaporate so we have to replace them every couple of months, but well worth it.

Archived