Chapala.com Webboard

Analog vs digital TV

nana

As far as I know, in Mexico, the deadline for television stations to switch entirely from analog to digital broadcasts was set for the end of 2015. That means I will have to buy a digital TV. Yes, I know, it’s time to join the modern world, but I was trying to stretch it until we move.

I don’t want to buy a converter, so if the deadline is soon, I would take advantage of the specials right now and replace my two conventional televisions for digital ones. If they decide to postpone it, I would wait.

Does anyone know about this?

I did not know that Mexico was going to give up analog. I thought that there would be both as there is now. Also, isn't Telecable going to continue to distribute TV channels as it is now in both analog and digital?

I don't know.

It really only has an impact on the way TV is broadcast over the air to your antennae. If you have cable or satellite, you are fine... all of that is digital already. In the U.S. all sets have been digital since '05, so I'm guessing manufacturers overseas have just made that a basic part of the design.

There were a lot of people buying new TVs this "buen fin" weekend due to the change.

And there's a lot of people who can't afford to and will be S.O.L.

Bad policy in my opinion.

Thanks you for your info. Last year, they extended the change to one more year already.

We read not long ago that Pena Neto's government was distibuting (free) digital TVs to the low income families in view of the change.

I guess we'll wait and see until we can't receive a signal, then we'll know. Never good to panic and act before we need too. :blink:

analog shutdown is only for channels you receive over atenna which are only local mexican channels. If you use cable, sattelite or whatever you won't be affected at all.
And each year with buen fin they sell lots of televisions, Nothing to do with this shut down as those people who can buy those televisions mostly use cable/sattelite tv anyway.

Switch off still due for end of the year. Free tv sets are being given to poor. All as per mexican tv news this week.

Where are they being given away free?

I know some low income people who could use one.

analog shutdown is only for channels you receive over atenna which are only local mexican channels. If you use cable, sattelite or whatever you won't be affected at all.

And each year with buen fin they sell lots of televisions, Nothing to do with this shut down as those people who can buy those televisions mostly use cable/sattelite tv anyway.

What about the people who can't afford cable?

They're screwed.

Where are they being given away free?

I know some low income people who could use one.

What about the people who can't afford cable?

They're screwed.

They have been giving away televisions and it would be strange if someone missed that. It has been all over the news. So they shouldn't be screwed if they would have watched television. If they didn't watch television, then they don't really need it and aren't screwed either.

http://sct.gob.mx/comunicaciones/transicion-a-la-television-digital-terrestre/

here they have a calendar where and when they give the televisions. But if I don't remember wrong the lakearea already passed several months ago, so i doubt if they will plan again the lakeside area.

I've heard of the program,I was just asking where these TVs were being distributed.

A few months ago in Joco I saw dozens of people walking with new TVs and in a line to get them at the municipal building.

I think they were sent notices to pick up a TV. It is so they can still get an air signal. They are supposed to be too poor to afford cable or satellite.

Archived