Chapala.com Webboard

Exporting from Mexico

varange

Hi all. A rather difficult one, I think.

I have a small online business selling goods, mostly into the USA. I'm considering manufacturing here in Mexico rather than the US, and exporting the goods to the USA for shipment.

I sell no products here in Mexico at all.

1. What regulatory hoops would I have to jump through, both in terms of business registration and visas?

2. What are the risks involved if I manufacture here and simply send the products by post to the USA?

I know that Spencer is well versed on these issues, so I'm hoping he can weigh in here too.

Thanks in advance!

This is not in any way intended as a put down. That said, if I were you I would not be asking for advice on a forum but would rather make an appointment with an attorney of your choosing, pay the fee, and get good solid advice and would ask any other pertinent questions. I don't know why people expect attorneys to give free consultations and advice online.

There is a way of locating a factory in a "Maquiladora" area. There are great many tax and customs clearance advantages offered. They used to be restricted to be near the U.S./Mexico border. That didn't work out so well, because many of the managers and the highly skilled workers just did not want to live there. Now the Maquiladoras can be located all over Mexico, but are areas that are restricted to where the Mexican government is trying to stimulate development. I knew a man who was exporting gas burning, fire pits to the U.S. - his major complaint with this program was that every shipment required a hefty payment to the customs broker. Nobody had warned him about that. There is a youngish lawyer from Monterrey who lives in Jocotepec. He might know. He speaks little English but his wife is fluent bilingual and extremely knowlegable about government programs and procedures.

Search maquiladora to see if this is even right for you. For shipping, form an account with Estafeta (U.S.A./Mexico) or Red Pack (U.S.A./Mexico). A minority of people would disagree with me, but the Mexican postal service does not work. At least not worth the risk of losing customers. There are many success stories of people moving their manufacturing to Mexico. It is a definite trend.

http://www.udel.edu/leipzig/texts2/vox128.htm

This is not in any way intended as a put down. That said, if I were you I would not be asking for advice on a forum but would rather make an appointment with an attorney of your choosing, pay the fee, and get good solid advice and would ask any other pertinent questions. I don't know why people expect attorneys to give free consultations and advice online.

Yes, I realize that, but getting more people's perspective can also have value.

There is a way of locating a factory in a "Maquiladora" area. There are great many tax and customs clearance advantages offered. They used to be restricted to be near the U.S./Mexico border. That didn't work out so well, because many of the managers and the highly skilled workers just did not want to live there. Now the Maquiladoras can be located all over Mexico, but are areas that are restricted to where the Mexican government is trying to stimulate development. I knew a man who was exporting gas burning, fire pits to the U.S. - his major complaint with this program was that every shipment required a hefty payment to the customs broker. Nobody had warned him about that. There is a youngish lawyer from Monterrey who lives in Jocotepec. He might know. He speaks little English but his wife is fluent bilingual and extremely knowlegable about government programs and procedures.

Search maquiladora to see if this is even right for you. For shipping, form an account with Estafeta (U.S.A./Mexico) or Red Pack (U.S.A./Mexico). A minority of people would disagree with me, but the Mexican postal service does not work. At least not worth the risk of losing customers. There are many success stories of people moving their manufacturing to Mexico. It is a definite trend.

http://www.udel.edu/leipzig/texts2/vox128.htm

Thank you SO much for taking the time to write this valuable post!

Archived