Chapala.com Webboard

Visa to work remotely from Mexico?

KathyW

Hi, I'm thinking about coming down to the Lake Chapala area for 5 months. I still need to work, but can work remotely through the internet.

Does anyone know what kind of visa I need in order to work in my Canadian business, remotely via the internet, from Mexico?

Thanks in advance!

No work authorization needed.

saludos

Sonia

You could come down as a tourist for up to 180 days.

You could also come down as a residente temporal if you're thinking you may stay longer.

I am a Canadian and temporary resident of Mexico because I work remotely for a Canadian company. I received my residency based off "economic solvency", which is defined as a monthly tax-free income of over $1,764.00 CDN/month. If you decide to go this route, you would need to start the initial paperwork at a Mexican consulate in Canada.

http://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/vancouver/index.php/residencia-temporal-en

If you make money from outside Mexico, any VISA class will do. If you make money from a Mexican source then things get more complicated and you need to talk to a lawyer.

If you spend at least 335 days of the year outside the US (doesn't have to be in just one country) then there are large exemptions on US taxes. There's a lot of information at IRS.GOV. The actual rule says "no more than 30 days in the US".

One thing that is interesting is that if you are in the US for one minute on a day, it counts as a full day. If you have a plane out at 10pm but it doesn't depart the gate until 12:01am, that is a day also.

There is also a funny rule about connecting flights. If you fly from MX to Canada and swap planes in the US, as long as you don't leave the international area, you are not in the US. However, if your plane has a mechanical and you leave to go to a hotel at 11pm and come back at 6am, that counts as two days. If you sleep in the international area, it doesn't count.

In the computer age, they can check now.

On the visa question I think you are getting good information. No problem at all based on your situation. I've been doing it for 10 years.

But I think you are getting some confusing tax information here. You should consult a qualified U.S. tax accountant if you have any questions. You can get some relief from taxes on "foreign income" if you are outside the U.S. for 330 days but I don't think that applies to your situation.

Sounds like all your income will be from the U.S. and you will pay U.S. taxes on it no matter how long you are outside the U.S. No "large exemptions on U.S. taxes" for your U.S. income. And you mention you are coming for 5 months so you won't hit 330 day mark anyway.

Come on down - you won't want to go back!

Archived