Chapala.com Webboard

Smart phones costs

cedros

I was looking at Smart phones at the Telcel store in Laguna mall today and I'm confused. There are different plans and different cost structures. Can you do like you did with the dumb cell phones and just buy an amount of time every two months? What different options are there?

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Medio30 plan that is 30 days in duration and 2 GB of data. It costs $350p. After I pay the cashier and get a text that the money is in my account, I send a text to 5050 with Medio30 as the message. Very important to send that text so it registers you with that plan.

I have the Medio30 plan that is 30 days in duration and 2 GB of data. It costs $350p. After I pay the cashier and get a text that the money is in my account, I send a text to 5050 with Medio30 as the message. Very important to send that text so it registers you with that plan.

Why is it important to send a text and what is that plan? I have a plan with 2GB of data and it costs $399 pesos per month - and I don't send a text after I've paid. Am I missing out on something? Thanks for any information you can help me with! - Seren

Unless you send the text, or have someone at TelCel send it for you, TelCel won't know you have the specific plan and just start charging you a per-minute charge for data and $350p goes bye-bye in about a week.

This past weekend, the little Telcel store on the Ajijic plaza was advertising a $199 package which has 200 minutes and 1200MB of data. Since my $199 package only has 800MB,I asked about it, but they told me that it's only for new subscribers. Would be a good deal for someone starting with Telcel.

Medio30 is not really a plan but more some kind of prepaid internet paquete which you need to activate whenever you need. You can also choose an other paquete in case you need or just do nothing if you won't need it. (They charge per mb not per minute btw if you don't chose a package)
A real plan like Seren probably has, you can't change that easy but you get the data plan without needing to send any message.

I'm here on a tourist visa and I have a plan with Telcel. I think I pay about 300 pesos a month for their cheapest limited data plan. I always run over but even then my bill is a third of my AT&T bill stateside. The cost for my iPhone plus was obscene and Though I love it, I don't even carry it with me in MX and rarely make phone calls. Wasted my money really.

My family and I are texters...I am currently on a Cricket plan that allows that. However 80% of call are to be initiated from US. I suspect in another month or so I will be cut off. Is there a plan that allows free texting both ways? My mx carrier is Lusace with Cricket.

Archived