Chapala.com Webboard

Mugging on 16 de Septiembre

justsayin

Have you seen films on the News showing how strong a taser is? This seems overkill to me. Try not to carry a purse. I think a mugger would not stop a woman and ask her to empty her pockets. They are looking for a purse they can quickly snatch and run away down the road. With more people in town, there is more opportunity. I know someone who tucks her small change purse into the top of her bra. There are other options that will not make you an easy target.

Does anyone think it might be possible that if a person has a taser and that person is walking alone on a lonely street they might have that taser already in their hand instead of in their purse? Then when arriving at their location they could then put it back in the purse?

Question: Is it legal to carry and use a taser when being attacked? I have heard reports of people being robbed in their own homes, beating up the robber and then being sued by said robber. What would happen do you think if the mugger on the street were tased and then for some reason died?

-----------------------------------

Do you have any idea how long it takes to litigate a demanda (lawsuit) in Mexico? The assailant had better be young and very successful, as the attorney will bleed him forever and he will be in wheel chair when the demanda is not settled in his favor.

The attorney that sued the people that beat up a robber, and if he won the case, would be the best and most popular attorney in Mexico.

-----------------------------------

Do you have any idea how long it takes to litigate a demanda (lawsuit) in Mexico? The assailant had better be young and very successful, as the attorney will bleed him forever and he will be in wheel chair when the demanda is not settled in his favor.

The attorney that sued the people that beat up a robber, and if he won the case, would be the best and most popular attorney in Mexico.

Sued for what, being temporarily incapacitated while an older person escaped? I doubt any suit like that has ever been won or filed in Mexico.

tazers are likely to be carried in the purse as they are too big for the pocket and since the thieves go for the purse it is unlikely you could get it out in time. Plus I have heard it was not legal to use tazers on the street.. It is a whole lot easier not to carry anything you do not want to lose in a purse, especially one that can be taken out very easily. Indegenous women carry their money in their belt and it is not a bad idea..

If you click on the link, you will see many of the tazers are very small, the size of a small cell phone, and meant to be worn.

A tazer is a distance projectile and I've not seen them here. A stun gun is a close proximity contact weapon and readily available. I suspect the tazer is likely to be found illegal in a confrontation. It would be a great idea for the local police to put on a citizen's awareness and self-defense day. Maybe something LCS or Haary B could set up. Great public relations for the police.

Mercadolibre sells stun guns and what they call tasers. It has been posted here before that as long as a weapon is non-lethal, it is legal, which is why they can be sold on Mecardolibre. Mercadolibre will not list illegal items. It also sells pepper sprays.

Several local hardware stores sell them also.

http://listado.mercadolibre.com.mx/stun-gun#D[A:stun-gun]

http://listado.mercadolibre.com.mx/taser#D[A:taser]

the ones a store owner was showing some people the other day were large so I guess if you can have them in your pocket , it is a plus.

I cannot imagine ever owning one, I travel in remote indigenous areas that are not always friendly, I hide my money on my body with a business card, have some money in a small purse and if that goes it goes, walking around Ajijic with a tazer is totally insane..and will give the bad guys the idea , they will buy tazers and will taze the victims next..good move guys...teach them a few more tricks.

What about a walking cane, quite commonly used by many seniors, especially on cobblestones. Except this one you can pull out the handle to reveal a 3 foot very sharp sword in one hand and 3 foot steel baton in your other hand. As long as you had some training, the baton is especially effective. BMH would know about Savatte and La Canne. I also saw an "unbreakable umbrella" also used for self defence - or shelter from the rain.

I'm trying to imagine a 5' 2" or so lady, especially one of our seniors, whipping out a weapon of any kind to use against a healthy young man who may or many not have a knife at hand. Sorry folks, this doesn't play in my head. Better to wear a money belt like sensible European tourists do, put essential cards and cash in it, and let the bad guy have the purse. The important thing is to avoid personal injury.

If you're a big guy, chances are slim that you'll be attacked. Muggers wait for the most vulnerable people.

I'm trying to imagine a 5' 2" or so lady, especially one of our seniors, whipping out a weapon of any kind to use against a healthy young man who may or many not have a knife at hand. Sorry folks, this doesn't play in my head. Better to wear a money belt like sensible European tourists do, put essential cards and cash in it, and let the bad guy have the purse. The important thing is to avoid personal injury.

If you're a big guy, chances are slim that you'll be attacked. Muggers wait for the most vulnerable people.

Not true in Europe, the gypsies take on anyone big or small (I'm of the big variety) but you are right, money belt is the answer. I disappointed them in the Rome train station.

I know this is unfathomable, but letting people know what is available is allowing them to make a choice. If someone doesn't want to protect himself or thinks he can't, then no one is forcing him to do it.

But, if he/she wants something for self-defence, then get it.

There is no guarantee that a street thug who is robbing a senior will only take a purse or wallet. He might find it entertaining to injure or kill the person. I don't have a taser or stun gun although I have considered buying one to use on two unruly dogs or maybe a BB gun. I can't decide.

Darn straight, Skippy! Whose gonna hang around a bunch of crazy old people armed to the teeth with tazers, zappers, bug spray, iron loaded umbrellas and canes?

LOL!

rotflmao! We have really sharp tongues too!

I think I will start carrying my hubby's grandfather's Hawthorne walking stick. It is hard as steel and has really nasty thorns on it too. Better safe than sorry.

Movie cliches - instead of Dirty Harry, I'm thinking more of the first Crocodile Dundee movie when someone is trying to rob them - "You call that a knife mate - shing - now this is a knife!". Lots of people here carry lead filled walking sticks when walking their dogs. Pepper spray makes the dogs scream, which enrages their owners, a dog's owner is often worse than its bite.

Archived