Chapala.com Webboard

Cost of booze: duty-free vs buying locally

holdrja

I figured that at least some of the folks on this board will find this interesting, so here goes...

My hubby had to take a quick trip north and on the way back, he picked up some Tanqueray and some Jack Daniels in the Houston airport duty free shop. We were quite surprised at the charges -- 1 liter of Tanqueray was $27.50 and 1.75 liters of Jack Daniels was $50. So I stopped at La Paz Liquors today and did some comparison pricing. They didn't have the same size of bottles so I adjusted for that; and I converted the USD to pesos at 16.5 pesos per dollar. Here are the results -- Tanqueray gin is just about the same price in both places; and Jack Daniels is cheaper down here!

Duty-free @ Liqours Paz 454 464 Tanqueray 825 791 Jack Daniels

Speaking of savings on booze, the Miller Depot west of El Serape is having a great sale this weekend on everything, with extra savings on some things.

It's not as large a store as Paz, but a nice selection of wines and liquors, along with their Miller beer. Besides, you can avoid that Superlake parking lot nightmare.

This is a funny situtation as 45 years ago we always drove across the border to Nuevo Laredo, Matamoros or Acuna since liquor was used as a loss leader to attract us to visit. I bought mucho liters of Tanqueray in N. Laredo for $6.00 or less. Of course I miss the fine resturants as well eg. Martins in N. Laredo with white jacketed waiters, linen and silver on the tables, now long gone with the tourist.

Archived