Chapala.com Webboard

Aduana Question

catbird

You are permitted a laptop, but the iMac desktop may require the payment of duty.

I bought my iMac 21.5 inch computer from Hall Microcomputers in Guadalajara. They delivered it and set it up from my old computer in Chapala, complete with English keyboard. It was a good buy, since the exchange rate was in my favor and the warranty is good in Mexico.

They have a website and there are English speakers there, or you can e-mail. If you wish to visit, they are immediately off Glorieta Minerva, on Yañez on the right just a door or two off the circle. Parking in front.

Laptop is not taxed. Standard PC/Mac is but remember you have a 500USD by air allowed limit in addition to the standard list of stuff. By ground you are only allowed 300USD. Above that limit you pay IVA tax of 15% or so. I was hit with that when I brought back a whole suitcase of electronic goodies. It was not too bad but you need peso to pay not dollars. Check box on customs form to tell them you need to pay. They took my word what things were worth. After doing this you go back and push the light button red or green. A pain but not too painful.

• 3 weeks later...

Play dumb Gringo. If the charge you you are not any worse off. Just make sure you have peso's and you will be fine. Of course that means a computer, not multiple :018:

If duty is charged, you will have paid US sales tax AND Mexican sales tax & duty, making the computer more expensive. It will also be without warranty in Mexico.

If you buy it in Mexico, you will be quite happy with the personal service from Hall.

Archived