Chapala.com Webboard

Chinese Circus Bike

CHILLIN

As in - what on earth is this? The translation seems correct - moto de circo china. Is a Chinese circus bike one of those motorcycles you see in Mexico, loaded with a whole bunch of people, usually a family, all with no helmets? Or is it a dig at Chinese made Italika motorcycles? There was a time in Canada and the U.S.A. when Japanese motorcycles were called rice burners.

http://www.siemprelibres.com/nota_02.html

here is the google "humor generator" version

Family tumble down
Chinese Circus bike

Irresponsible that caused the accident fled the scene ...

By Alberto Garcia Farias

foto25.JPG On State Road 544, at its intersection with Avenue Federation colony New Ixtapa, it reported about the crash of a motorcycle, which was hit by a motorist who fled to evade responsibility.
Elements of Civil Protection of the PC unit 10, went to the designated place, where upon arrival they found lying at the intersection, a motorcycle brand Italika, FT 150, model 2014, white and blue plates of the state of Jalisco, led by Janeth Alexis Castañeda Saucedo 22 years old, who was unhurt, but he did not name his companion Christian Castaneda Salvatierra 18 years old, who complained of pain in the shoulder, which seemed to be a dislocation, so it was immobilized in a sling by rescuers.
Girl traveling with them Alexandra Michel Contreras three years, who being revised, they determined that she was not with injuries of any kind as to suced foto26.JPG Christian accident and covered her with his body.
The driver said to be circulating on the road to the delegation of Ixtapa, were impacted by a vehicle that fled the scene, but it was learned that two drivers were following him and at that time they had secured in Colonia Campestre the ravines, so officials went to the home town Transit to stop being even mentioned in the act.
Eventually those affected gave up being taken to hospital review, as would come on their own, because they were awaiting the arrival of the person responsible for the payment of damages, being in charge of lifting the reporting staff of the Police Preventive and Municipal Roa

My guess is there were too many people on the bike. But you're right. Why not just call it an overloaded bike? it's almost like they were cracking a joke, which doesn't make much sense in the context.

Google Chinese Circus Bike and look at Images. You find things like this:

chinese+bikes.jpg

Did you pick up there was a woman, a 3 year old child, at least 1, maybe 2 men riding this bike. A car bumped them over and then took off. Police and ambulance came. One man thinks his shoulder is disclocated. I don't see any helmets. They do not want to go to hospital because they hope the driver will come back and pay them damages!

I believe that circo also means cirque, a geological term for a type of valley. My guess we would say it's a mountain bike, aka off-the-road bike

You've heard that to mean off road bike in Spanish? Google doesn't mention that usage. Everything I've seen is a variation on "ciclismo de montaña". My Spanish isn't good enough to get nit picky.

It was just a guess based on Oxford's offered definitions. Google is not an authority by a long shot. Go translate the common Mexican saying, "no manches". That is just one example.

Okaaay. So you're making stuff up. Yeah. I do that a lot too and call it Spanish. https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicicleta_de_monta%C3%B1a

"As in - what on earth is this? The translation seems correct - moto de circo china."

I looked at the Spanish version of the article. ​I'll bet anybody out there that the "moto de circo china" in the headline of the article is just more great Mexican humor. The brand, Italika, is huge in Mexico. They are now being manufactured here, but I'm pretty sure Italika has Chinese roots. Since it's common to see a motorcycle here with more than one, or two or ….??? passengers…the funny nickname is a natural.

I can almost guarantee it has nothing to do with the terrain the bike is built for, and I'm willing to take your bet at 90-1. B)

cirque
[sərk]
NOUN
  1. geology
    a half-open steep-sided hollow at the head of a valley or on a mountainside, formed by glacial erosion. Also called corrie, cwm.

Yeah, but that's a french word for a half open steep sided hollow at the head of a etc etc etc.

I'm sure that's relevant.

French cirque = circus

English (geological) cirque = a formation, as described above, which is round like a circus ring.

Spanish circo = circus

Turkish sirk = circus

Think: Circle, or three of them for a big circus.

Archived