Chapala.com Webboard

Zirconia Implant

My friend had a zirconia crown by Dra. Candy at Maskaras clinic plaza but I don't know about implants. She is very trained on implants with special training in Europe. You can call her and ask. She is getting married in a few days so i don't know if she will be in the office the rest of the week. (376) 106-0826. Excellent English.

I had three titanium implants done a couple of years ago...discussed with Dr. Barragan and also Dr. Haro. Neither of them even mentioned zirconia implants....which makes me wonder.

Here's a really good article explaining the differences and similarities between the two. My conclusion, after reading it, is that I would stick with the tried and true, well known and proven. YMMV

http://www.vccid.com/types-of-dental-implant-materials-titanium-vs-zirconia/

What side effects?

Commercial zirconia implants have been around since 1987. Several large scientific reviews of over 50 studies comparing zirconia with titanium found zirconia and zirconia-coated-titanium out-performed all titanium implants for grafting more strongly with bone and for fewer reactions with gums in all studies but one. This means that the 20 years of zirconia & titanium testing showed zirconia significantly outperforms titanium in the critical areas of osseointegration and soft tissue responses, and they look better.

In one area, zirconia based materials performed adequately (but at lower values than titanium) for removal torque tests, while zirconia had equivalent strength performance to titanium.

It's interesting that after 20 years of studies, these professional scientific reviews did not report side effect problems for zirconia, which is likely because zirconia is so chemically inert and biologically inert.

Toxicologically, since zirconia is an inert ceramic material, it has not shown any of the classic metal-rejection or metal-reaction/metal-sensitivity biocompatibility problems that happen with titanium for some patients.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:oRczKbENZzoJ:www.researchgate.net/file.PostFileLoader.html%3Fid%3D55914ad760614b61828b4598%26assetKey%3DAS%253A273804046077967%25401442291379615+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=mx

Your link was a very interesting read snowyco....summary done in 2011

Twenty years of study but not on humans...monkeys, beagles and "in vitro". "In vitro" means it was not done in a body..."in vivo" means it was done in a body.

The last paragraph sums it all up nicely...

"Although a few short term clinical reports are available and provide satisfactory results, controlled clinical trials with a follow-up of five years or longer should be performed to properly evaluate the clinical performance of zirconia implants and to recommend them for routine clinical use"

Do I think they're the future of implants? Absolutely!

However, I wouldn't want to be a guinea pig unless my life was hanging in the balance and I had nothing to lose.

Archived