Chapala.com Webboard

Bringing pets into Mexico

sldavis

I've pretty much figured out all the required hoops I must jump through for my Visa and my TIP but not the pet hoops. I've read the official requirements and I've read the experiences of actual pet owners and they don't match. People arriving by autos and RVs don't have their pets contained in "carriers free of bedding and toys" as the official site requires. I haven't read of anyone arriving in MX and immediately taking their pets to an official from SANGARPA SENASICA for an Importation Certificate to verify compliance with all other requirements. Are these just suggestions and only an unlucky few must comply? Also, I've read that the US's 3 year rabies shots aren't accepted but on one site I read they are accepted now. I will be arriving in a Motorhome with two small dogs. Are there any pet import experts out there who can help me out?

The best pet expert is your trusted local vet. He/she can access up to the minute rules and regulations and will complete all your required paperwork. Most people arriving by car do not have their pets "inspected" or otherwise scrutinized, but better safe than sorry. Have the paperwork. When we drove down with two dogs in two crates in our back seat, one agent opened one crate and petted and cooed to one of the dogs. That was it. They had no interest in seeing the paperwork, and the animals never had to get out of the car.

My experience also says that it is no problema. Often I was asked what kind of dog I had, but for sheer curiosity. I raised and transported Mexican hairless standard size, xoloitzcuintli. The agents probably had never seen one of the famed Mexican dogs. They would usually stick their faces up to the dog crate where they were in lying totally silent causing an explosion of fury. The agents would jump back and say, pasale.

sldavis, bring all the dog food you can south. The prices in Mexico tend to be high. I have found that some places that sell dog food by the kilo sell it at a price that is cheaper by weight than the a large bags of the same food. Strategy or stupidity I have wondered.

As far as the health certificates, don't bother. I always carried the rabies shot records but have never been asked anything about the dog's documentation. You will sail through with a chuckle.

Despite the fact that neither I nor anyone I know has ever been asked for the health paperwork for pets driven across the border, I would not go without it. There is always that one time someone decides to ask. It is cheap insurance that you will not be hassled, shaken down or turned back at the border or various check points along the way.

Just arrived two weeks ago with 1 90 lb Sheepdog and 40 lbs of cats (2)...After spending $250 at my local vet in the states I had all the required paperwork...No one questioned us at all or even checked the car... It may be a different story if coming by air... We have had difficulties in other countries with air animal shipments...As others have said ,,, Best of have the required paperwork just in case...

When we migrated north, we crossed at Mariposa/Nogales at 9:30 PM. There was no other traffic and we were asked for the dogs‘ papers. Fortunately, we had them. Beyond that, we were not inspected.

We crossed (driving) with two cats, had all the required documents from the "authorized" vet in the US. It was expensive. No one asked to see any documents for the animals.

If you are going by air, then you have more rules and restrictions.

Archived