Chapala.com Webboard

Cocinart still a fave for me

ComputerGuy

Was at Cocinart on Saturday, during French Cuisine week. I tell you, that Wally can cook anything. Some years back there was a "chef" who's name I believe was Laurent, at the CasaBlanca... everyone raved so we went. I ordered the coq au vin. Not even sure if he used cognac or brandy, but he did use white wine instead of a burgundy. It was pretty sad.

My coq au vin at Cocinart was not presented in the classic way, but it was cooked with red wine at least, and it was delicious. For $90, it included a ton of gravy and both a leg and a breast. A side of stir-fried red peppers and beans, and a very interesting and tasty layered pomme de terre au gratin rounded out the meal. (I could not help but order the escargot yet again, even though it's a budget-killer. It's worth it, considering how hard it is to get around here.)

An interesting note: they are having Thanksgiving with a host of nice dishes, including smorked loin of pork to go along with the turkey. For $195, which is a good price these days for everything from the soup through the dessert. Kinda weird, though: it's going to be turkey soup. I will be there, having enjoyed their July 4 dinner, too.

We were there Sunday with a large group . . . service was too slow. Not the servers' fault as they needed more waiters for the Sunday crowd. When you wait over an hour after ordering to get your food, the quality of the food ultimately served becomes less important. The negative mindset is already in place by then.

I hear you.

Interestingly when we arrrived Saturday at 7, they were swamped. I thought service would be really slow. And on top of it, the power went out for a good 20-30 minutes. Thank goodness for gas-fired kitchens. AND our service was timely and friendly and spot on. Don't know how they did it. Last time a restaurant lost power was in Barbados while I was there... apparently this has been going on with CFE in the whole neighbourhood for weeks, affecting many businesses.

It's my fave. We had dinner there around 5:30 Sunday. Service was fine. The salmon in dill sauce was amazing: big chunk of salmon and those potatoes the OP described. The shrimp dijon: fresh, done perfectly in a delicious sauce.

They have a small staff, so I imagine it would be slow with a large group, but........a little wine and good conversation should ease the wait. :unsure:

I had the Coq au vin on Friday at lunch and agree, it was tasty. The potatoes were a nice surprise, too. Such great comfort food. It's one of my favorite things to eat and I was thinking about digging out a recipe and doing it myself but now there's no need. :)

Cocinarte is definitely firing on all cylinders.

• 1 month later...

It took us a while to get in last night; Cocinart was packed, everyone represented. Their rep seems to be spreading. And yet we still got excellent service and food at a table of five. They had run out of several items from the Weekly Specials board, but still had a delicious vegetable/ravioli soup of the day. I don't know how they keep everything coming in a timely fashion and steaming hot with so many customers. Good for them.

It took us a while to get in last night; Cocinart was packed, everyone represented. Their rep seems to be spreading. And yet we still got excellent service and food at a table of five. They had run out of several items from the Weekly Specials board, but still had a delicious vegetable/ravioli soup of the day. I don't know how they keep everything coming in a timely fashion and steaming hot with so many customers. Good for them.

Couldn't agree more. I'd be even happier if they had a little more seating room.......but wouldn't want to wish ill on the folks at the adjacent restaurant. ^_^

They are a great addition to the local restaurant scene.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived