Chapala.com Webboard

You may find that you are limited to a 1-day supply of dog food, if any, crossing the border. So, plan on stopping at a grocery store, pet shop or veterinary upon arrival. Most common brands are available in Mexico, but the exotics may be hard to find and all will be quite expensive. The good news is that dogs are natural scavengers, if their owners just let them eat table scraps and some generic kibble. It is also quite easy to find butchers, who can supply scraps, bones, etc., if you wish to get creative.

It is because it is meat. They will take your personal beef jerky. Just came back to Guad airport and the sniffer dog was taking peoples food including wrapped sandwiches and such. Fruit, veggies, and meat are all hot buttons. The dog was having a great time catching people sneaking food in. I escaped unsmelled.

Like RV said, most of the common brands that you would find at Wal-Mart or your local grocery store up North are also available down here. If you need a more expensive brand like grain free dog chow, we have it here, with the brands Diamond and Royal Canine being widely available here in the specialty pet stores. I can think of at least 4 stores that sell these brands, possibly more.

So what you are telling me. That driving in our car across the border, If we bring in bagged dog food for our old dog that is kibble not meat they will confiscate it?

Kibble has meat in it and can be confiscated. Same with dog treats and pig ear/cow hide chewies. Bring a small amount of kibble to last for your trip but don't try to bring a 50# sack of expensive food.

They did not take my dog food at the border, and I told them about it when they asked if we were carrying food.

Your best bet is to bring sealed pop-top cans of food. I've never heard of them confiscating sealed food. This is what we were carrying.

There is a new dog food business in town that sells raw, but nutritionally fortified, dog and cat food. It is hard to find good quality kibble. Diamond is my favorite but it's not as good as, say, Blue Buffalo, in my opinion. You can order Blue Buffalo through MercadoLibre (Latin America's eBay) and I think you can get it at Petco in Guad, but anything imported will be VERY expensive.

Archived