Chapala.com Webboard

Can I go from visitor to permanente status?

Arjay

I had an FM3 card up until 2 years ago but have been coming in on a visitor's permit since.

Does anyone know if I can apply directly for my permanente card, which I would like to do in the next couple of weeks?

Many thanks.

I would doubt it as a visitor's permit does not require an application or financial information. Permanente requires application thru a consulate outside of mexico with appropriate paperwork including financials with the minimum amounts. Application approval usually only takes a few hours. Lots of info regarding the amounts required in other posts under Customs & Immigration. Spencer usually posts any updates to financial requirements.

If married to a Mexican national you can become a TR for 2 years and then a PR and do so from within Mexico.

If no ties to Mexico through family, you may apply for pre-approval at a MX consulate. My web site should help.

Buen Fin

Sonia

Check with Spencer. You said you "had" an FM3, but have been coming in on tourist visas. But you have to wonder what INM has you listed as. If you didn't cancel your FM3 with INM, they may see you as an FM3 who is late in renewing. There may be significant fines attached to that status, but it may allow you to proceed with an application for Permanente.

However, If your FM3 was cancelled, you'd need to go back to your homeland and apply from there for Residente status, including income/asset verification. Then return to Mexico and complete the Residente process here.

Unless you have a Mexican child or parent you cant go permanent and if entering and leaving as a tourist and not renewing your FM3 youv eprobably lost it.

Check with Spencer. You said you "had" an FM3, but have been coming in on tourist visas. But you have to wonder what INM has you listed as. If you didn't cancel your FM3 with INM, they may see you as an FM3 who is late in renewing. There may be significant fines attached to that status, but it may allow you to proceed with an application for Permanente.

However, If your FM3 was cancelled, you'd need to go back to your homeland and apply from there for Residente status, including income/asset verification. Then return to Mexico and complete the Residente process here.

Excellent, clear answer, bwhite.

I didn't cancel it, I just didn't renew. So is it not possible to become Permanente from here now? Should I not mention I had an FM3 for a few years or will they know anyway and throw the book at me? I've already been fined to the max because I arrived on my FM3 renewal date and the office was closed the following day for a holiday. If I'd arrived later, I would have had a few weeks to renew my FM3 with no penalty (it left a very bad taste in my mouth). If I apply from Canada, it will delay the process.

I think that the use of a tourist permit after the FM3 would have cancelled the FM3, if it had not already expired. So, I agree. No problem. However, you must apply for a residence visa in your home country, then finish the process in Mexico if approved.

I think that the use of a tourist permit after the FM3 would have cancelled the FM3, if it had not already expired. So, I agree. No problem. However, you must apply for a residence visa in your home country, then finish the process in Mexico if approved.

What would preclude my being approved? I've been coming here for 10 years, own a home and have enough income to qualify.

Spencer would be the best one to answer that question. I would think the only thing you should check on would be what happened to the FM3 when you let it lapse and came back in on a tourist visa. If it just went away, no problem. Again, Spencer can answer that. His response would be much better than any of our guesses.

You are a tourist and entered Mexico as one. Past history is irrelevant. There is only one option for you to become a TR or PR visa holder and that means starting at a MX consulate and proving financials and they also consider home ownership in Mexico.

The same applies to an expat who has a TR or PR visa and for whatever reasons (lost visa for example) when entering Mexico uses a FMM marked tourist. You start over outside of Mexico being pre-approved.

Buen Fin

Sonia

Archived