Chapala.com Webboard

Steak!

Priscilla

Perhaps the OP lives in Guadalajara! As to the original question, I have had mixed success. There is an Outback Steakhouse in Galerias Mall but I haven't eaten there. Best advise I can offer is to buy steaks at Costco, the original one in Galerias. All their ribeye and NY's are USDA choice. If you go on weekends they bring out the prime grade and often they will have several cowboy cut prime Ribeyes about 2-3" thick.

Does anyone know a restaurant in Guadalajara that serves good American-style steaks? Thanks!

Most of the good "steak houses" in Guad. are Argentine style, but they are good, Don't know any good American style (whatever that is), like Ruth's Chris, Don Shula or a Morton's. There is a Sirloin Stockade......ughhh!!

Recommend.....La Matera, La Vaca Argentina, La Estancia Gaucha, El Fogon del Pibe, to name a few and there are many,many others.

We went to Outback twice -- our first and last visit! Portion skimpy, price high, and service mediocre.

As for Sirloin Stockade -- we love it (downtown our favorite), but not for steak -- for the never-ending and always fresh selection at the salad bar, all manner of options for your main course, and far-too-good desserts!

We went to Outback twice -- our first and last visit! Portion skimpy, price high, and service mediocre.

As for Sirloin Stockade -- we love it (downtown our favorite), but not for steak -- for the never-ending and always fresh selection at the salad bar, all manner of options for your main course, and far-too-good desserts!

I think Sirloin Stockade's corn bread is delicious!! The best I've had here in Mexico.

I've eaten at the La Vaca Argentina at Andares and it was good, though a bit spendy compared to local places. It's a more upscale experience in all ways. Not fancy though. Here's their website:

http://www.lavaca-argentina.com

In a thousand years it never would have occurred to me to stop in at a place called "Sirloin Stockade", but now maybe I will. Thanks for the tip.

We could help you better if you define "American" style. If by "American" style steak do you mean steak cooked on a grill or BBQ'd on hickory charcoal? Outback cooks their steak on a flat grill. Haven't seen or tasted a steak cooked on hickory in Mexico. If you mean an American cut of meat, you will find steak here at Lakeside with traditional cuts. I find the steak in Mexico superior to anything in the US because of the use of mesquite charcoal and US beef.

I would take a pass on the Sirloin Stockade,went there once...

The problem I have with "serve yourself" is that you need to wash your hands after using their serving tools (assuming it hasn't fallen into the food itself). If you have been in Men's restrooms(my wife says it is the same in Women's) and see people leave after doing their "thing" and not washing their hands, you would take my suggestion to heart. :D

An American style steak means to me "dry aged". It is usually done by steakhouses in their own temperature and humidity controlled meat lockers. There are also some specialty butchers online which sell them too. I don't believe anyone offers a dry aged steak in Guadalajara, but I would be more than happy to be proven wrong! It is a lot of work to make your own, but well worth it.

An American style steak means to me "dry aged". It is usually done by steakhouses in their own temperature and humidity controlled meat lockers. There are also some specialty butchers online which sell them too. I don't believe anyone offers a dry aged steak in Guadalajara, but I would be more than happy to be proven wrong! It is a lot of work to make your own, but well worth it.

I dry age my own steak here, it is relatively easy. You can get special plastic bags (don't use foodsaver bags) from drybagsteak.com then you buy a full roast at costco, bag it and vacuum seal it, then leave it in your fridge for 21 or more days (21 days seems perfect for a rib roast). Trim and cut into steaks. I then vacuum seal the steaks with my foodsaver and freeze. Note, due to the reduced moisture of a dry aged steak, when you BBQ them you need to sear and then move over to the cool side to allow the steak to warm, otherwise they dry right out.

Yes - Skurvish is on to the secret. I would recommend aging 40 days for Mexican Ditch Vaca, and also a mechanical tenderiser for the cut steaks, which you would never spot upon serving. This was upon the advice from a local professional chef. He also recommends Mexican Angus over Ditch Vaca. The aging part is pretty easy, but trimming off all the "bark" after it is cured takes time and money (the finished product is about 30% lighter than the starting weight). Also, I have learned, that if you are trying a standing rib roast, prime rib roast, or ribeye, you want the bone in while aging. It gives better flavor. It is better though to get the butcher to cut the bones out with the bandsaw, leaving lots of meat (dry aged ribs are unbelievably good), then saw the chine (backbone) off, then tie the bone with twine to the roast for aging.

Local Chapala Mexican beef is never going to be loaded with gobs of fat, pharmaceuticals, and chemicals. That is a good thing. To make it tender and tasty, well that's a whole different matter. Luckily, it is very inexpensive compared to U.S.D.A. or Canadian prime cuts.

Archived