Chapala.com Webboard

new hp cartridge

nana

I'm afraid I've been had. I bought a brand new hp cartridge NOT rebuilt or filled, and it has only six months expiration left on it?

I don't print much. I'd like to know if it will it last as long as there's no more ink or will it automatically stop printing at expiration date?

Thanks.

It will print for a while after the date but it will bug you a little bit about it.

And how can I work around it? Usuallly, the printing gets uneven for one page or two and then nothing. I did not open my package yet, so maybe I could try to return it. It was ordered online though because no one at lake side carries this type of cartridge. I paid $500 for it.

The date on the cartridge is not the ink expiration date, it is the warranty expiration.

Ink is likely good for a year, or 2 after that date. There are only a very few cartridges that will

cease working after the ink expiration date, and of those, most have a warning which you can bypass.

Much ado about nothing.

Every time i bought a cartridge from hp,the date was always at least 14 to 18 months. It ran out of ink just over one year even when I did not print much.

I kept it going by printing at least once a week otherwise there's a risk that it dries out.

I'm not sure if you'll get that much mileage with a six-month warranty expiration date. I'd be curious to find out.

For you folks who care when you store your printer put ink into plastic bag and put in fridge. It slows down evaporation. Let is warm up slowly before putting in back in machine to avoid condensation in printer. As I said before most HP printers will pester you after the ink date expires but lets you bypass warning for ages. Ink does go bad contrary to what folks say. I worked for HP ink jet for years and believe me we had at least 10 chemical engineers that just worked on ink. Old ink is what breaks printheads. Good printers have separate ink from printheads and can be replaced separate and have very low cost per page. Cheap printer high cost per page, Expensive printer low cost per page. Low volume sure go for a cheap one but it won't last. I have a good officejet that is coming up on ten years old and still works fine. Will have to stop using it when print drivers are not made for it anymore. Not sure what is good quality anymore as folks like cheap. The consumer has spoken. Most folks who know and don't need color use a black and white laser like HP or Samsung. Colors lasers are very nice but expensive and many office inkjets can print less per page but laser output is more often water fast. You get what you pay.

Archived