Chapala.com Webboard

4K Television

Rather than ask that question on this forum, you should talk to a knowledgeable TV salesperson at somewhere like BestBuy... Who will explain to you that even though there is no 4K content 4K TV,s upscale the picture quality to give you simulated 4k HD picture quality.

Rather than ask that question on this forum, you should talk to a knowledgeable TV salesperson at somewhere like BestBuy... Who will explain to you that even though there is no 4K content 4K TV,s upscale the picture quality to give you simulated 4k HD picture quality.

That is correct. The result is an extremely smooth picture in very large sizes. However. there isn't much benefit unless one is inputting 1080P material. The picture tends to be too soft IMO with 720P or below.

I have a 100 inch screen setup in my home theater with a 4K front projector. It upscales and when fed 1080P material the effect is quite stunning. However I question the benefit of the additional expense on a 55 inch screen.

If buying from someone like Best Buy and paying a premium, view the TV with a Blue Ray DVD feed and decide if it is worth the extra money. Otherwise, go for a quality 1080P display and maybe spend for bigger and better.

I question how much 4K material there will ever be as really the improvement is marginal unless one is really throwing a big picture using a front projector or one of these really large, mega expensive TVs in the 80 size.

As mentioned, 4K content is slim to none. However, if you need to buy a new set, I would definitely go with it. Sets these days can last years and years, so you might get lucky with programming eventually. And it is well worth it.

More to the point, let's look at the disparity between a HiDef TV and Standard Def broadcasts, vs. Ultra HiDef (or 4K, or whatever) and Standard. The technology in HiDef makes most Standard definition broadcasts look like a bad YouTube video. NOT SO with 4K. Its lighting, display and pixel design provides a much better picture than HiDef for regular broadcasts. And that much of a better picture with HiDef.

Techically speaking, I can't remember why anymore. But HiDef magnifies the low res quality of Standard broadcasts, while 4K actually sharpens them. And of course DVDs, BluRays and soon-to-saturate Ultra HiDef discs look that much better, as do .mkv and .mp4 downloads. So you really can only win.

If Shaw does carry 4K program it MAY be on the new bird which only get reception to San Fran. south wise. We won't get it. We have tried with a ten foot Ku dish. Time will tell but they have been pushing NOB to upgrade to the three LNB setup to get the third bird.

I use a line doubler for improving DVDs and soon they will have them that double up to 4K from HD or SD. Very expensive piece but worth the money. I have an OPPO blue ray player with one built in to upgrade DVDs but it is 1000 USD. Skip the cheap ones they don't work very well. Takes a ton of memory and fast electronics to make a 4k line doubler but they will be out soon and should be the solution for legacy picture if you have a BIG screen. Sounds like line doublers are built into new 4K sets but I am wait and see on this. First 4K sets are becoming obsolete right now. Check reviews on sets as one cheap LG 4K set doesn't sound great in the review but is cheap. I am going to continue with what I got until software is available and cost is down. I also watch black and white movies a lot and the new OLED sets have great picture like a plasma. Maybe wait til affordable 4k OLED set. Once you see OLED you will want one. Too expensive now.

I don't know if Black Friday offerings NOB are indicative of anything,

but Sam's Club has 4K units in their sale this year.

TV Deals at Sam's Club

• A 65-inch Vizio D65u-D2 4K UHD Smart TV for $998. Currently, the set costs almost $1,500 at Amazon and $1,300 at Sam's Club and some other stores. (Dell will also feature a Vizio 4K TV, the step-up 60-inch M60-C3 4K UHD TV, for $800.)
  • A 50-inch Vizio D50u-D1 4K UHD Smart TV for $498. This set is currently $728 at Sam's Club. It's about $300 at a number of retailers, including BrandsMart and Beach Camera.
  • A 55-inch Hitachi LE55A6R9 1080p TV, which comes with a Roku Streaming Stick, for $398, down from $528; it's $600 right now at Walmart. The TV uses the Roku Stick to access online content, and it has three HDMI inputs. We tested the 43-inch version of this set, the Hitachi LE53A6R9.
  • A Samsung 55-inch 1080p TV and sound bar speaker bundle for $578. The TV is the UN55J620DAFXZA, a 1080p smart TV with two HDMI inputs, and the sound bar is the HW-HM45C. The claimed savings is almost $300. We believe the TV will be similar to the UNJ6200-series sets; we tested the UN60J6200 model, which is in our comprehensive TV Ratings.

Source: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/sams-club-kicks-off-pre-205949106.html

Scaling any size image up will never make the image better. Interpolation is not resolution. The only rational reason to get a 4K TV is the ability to display 4K images, or the ability to do so in the future. 1080P will look just as good on a 1080P set as it would on a 4K set of similar quality.

The fact is, whether line-doubling, interpolating, upscaling... whatever. The higher pixel count makes edges look better, thus 4K TVs make standard definition broadcasts look much better, in particular when compared to HiDef sets. And I beg to differ: 1080p will look better on a 4K set. This is not opinion.

Oh, and interpolation most definitely improves image quality... or they wouldn't do it.

Scaling any size image up will never make the image better. Interpolation is not resolution. The only rational reason to get a 4K TV is the ability to display 4K images, or the ability to do so in the future. 1080P will look just as good on a 1080P set as it would on a 4K set of similar quality.

What a load of @$¥% ...

All you have to do is go to Walmart and look at a 4K TV and then a 1080p TV displaying the same image

the difference is clear.. The image quality of 1080P TV is not even close to a 4K TV

• 10 months later...

Is there anyone in the area who can set up my brand new Samsung 7200 and sound bar.  I cannot get the sound bar to work..all I get is fuzzy tv speakers.

Samsung has given me the run around and referred me to Samsung Mx..just got here and do not know the language yet...so no help there.

is there a vendor in the area who does this installation and can unracvel th mystery for me ?

Will pay for help..already paid for th equipment I cannot use.

thanks

Archived