Chapala.com Webboard

info on eye drops

lobos

Can-C eye drops. They are available thrugh Amazon but I tried twice and couldn't get them through customs. Had to have them brought down by a friend.

"Cataract lens replacement is a piece of cake." I have had 2 friends who were blinded by botched cataract surgery. I prefer put it off or hopefully not at all.

• Like 1

we are also trying natural methods to stop cataracts. we have been using drops of a special honey from stingless mexican bees that can be bought at several eye doctor shops as well as unica, across from superlake. it stings like a chili for 5 sec. but is curiously refreshing....also alternating with an indian preparation called triphala churna, a mixture of 3 dried and powdered fruits made into a tea. it is known in ayurvedic medicine for this problem. sure, we can afford lazer surgery, but we have met several folks that it left with worse vision not better. also our mexican neighbors cannot afford such treatment so we are making ourselves the test subjects for alternative treatment. we're going to be trying eye exercises in conjunction with the drops to relearn how to use and strenghten our eyes...we'll let you know how it works out.

I've heard that eye exercises can have good results for strengthening your vision, but cataracts are a different problem altogether. I went to Dr. Vargas, who sees patients at the Ajijic clinic on Tuesdays, and he did cataract surgery at the very impressively equipped eye surgery facility in hospital Puerto de Hierro. The surgery was successful, and I can now see well. Caveat: In my case, I was very nearsighted. They put one lens in for reading and another for general vision. I've talked to a number of others who had "bifocal" type surgery, and most of us need glasses for reading or computer work.

Same for me. I'd advise anyone to have a long talk about it with the doctor, and if I had to do it over, I'd opt for simple vision lenses and get a good prescription for reading.

• Like 1

"Cataract lens replacement is a piece of cake." I have had 2 friends who were blinded by botched cataract surgery. I prefer put it off or hopefully not at all.

I am blind in 1 eye from this. Also, once you have cataract surgery you are at a 25% higher risk of retinal detachment. Be sure to ask your doctor about this! 2 years after the surgery both my retinas detached within a 3 month period. I'm lucky I can see at all. But cataract lens replacement IS a piece of cake as RV says, and when your cataracts get really bad you pretty much have to do the surgery despite the risks. It is really, really important to get the right person to do the surgery. I thought I had the best.

Many years ago, Dr. Guillermo Avalos did my cataract surgeries after my collapsed retinas were repaired by a dedicated retinologist, Dr. Enrique Roig, who practices at Puerto de Hierro and also at Clinica Santa Lucia. The latter is an excellent choice with fine facilities and is a very specialized eye clinic near Plaza Terranova. I recommend them.

• Like 1

After working in the Ophthalmic field for more than 20 years...GO TO A REPUTABLE OPHTHALMOLOGIST. Personally I see Dr. Rios at Plaza Montana. His equipment is very up to date, he is an amazing diagnostician. Drops are not going to " heal cataracts." Look cataracts up, see how and why they form. See why some people have no problem and why some do. But go see an Ophthalmologist, and make sure he/she is one with a great reputation. And don't always listen to your friend's problems after surgery. We are all unique and have different issues. What happened to that person, will probably not happen to you.

• Like 1

we are also trying natural methods to stop cataracts. we have been using drops of a special honey from stingless mexican bees that can be bought at several eye doctor shops as well as unica, across from superlake. it stings like a chili for 5 sec. but is curiously refreshing....also alternating with an indian preparation called triphala churna, a mixture of 3 dried and powdered fruits made into a tea. it is known in ayurvedic medicine for this problem. sure, we can afford lazer surgery, but we have met several folks that it left with worse vision not better. also our mexican neighbors cannot afford such treatment so we are making ourselves the test subjects for alternative treatment. we're going to be trying eye exercises in conjunction with the drops to relearn how to use and strenghten our eyes...we'll let you know how it works out.

Is it like hitting your head against the wall? It feels sooooo good when you quit.

• Haha 2

• 4 years later...

Reply about St Lucia eye drops:

Several years ago this product was available. I purchased the product and used it according to instructions. It was very effective and caused my cataracts to go away. I also used the product on my dog  and ditto for her cataracts. According to the VA tests ran on my eyes, I no longer had cataracts. The product was available for only a short time before being removed by the FDA gestapo, probably because it worked and was reasonably priced. I have intentionally left out the names of the advertised ingredients because I would hope to locate whatever the product is now called. Send me info to relea@cox.net.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

As a cataract diagnosed person, I would put this into the alien space invaders category, especially since he/she is responding to a 4 year old post. I have an appointment next month with a highly recommended Ophthalmologist here and will go through the process and not rely on a product that helps a dogs vision, albeit I love dogs and have 3 rescues myself and they all seem to have good eyesight.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Oldearkie said:

Reply about St Lucia eye drops:

Several years ago this product was available. I purchased the product and used it according to instructions. It was very effective and caused my cataracts to go away. I also used the product on my dog  and ditto for her cataracts. According to the VA tests ran on my eyes, I no longer had cataracts. The product was available for only a short time before being removed by the FDA gestapo, probably because it worked and was reasonably priced. I have intentionally left out the names of the advertised ingredients because I would hope to locate whatever the product is now called. Send me info to relea@cox.net.

I call bull as in a past life I was a product manager in one of the top ophthalmic houses. Do you who claim efficacy of this {ahem!] product even know where your lenses are? If belief in this magic elixir weren't so sad it would be to laugh. Here is the anatomy of the human eye.   A cataract is a clouding of the lens.

eye-anatomy-700x635.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, gringohombre said:

As a cataract diagnosed person, I would put this into the alien space invaders category, especially since he/she is responding to a 4 year old post. I have an appointment next month with a highly recommended Ophthalmologist here and will go through the process and not rely on a product that helps a dogs vision, albeit I love dogs and have 3 rescues myself and they all seem to have good eyesight.  

We have 3 rescues left. Every dog I have ever had that has lived to their normal or greater max age has developed cataracts

1 hour ago, gringohombre said:

So are you saying that you would prescribe this {ahem!] product for dogs but not humans?

It's quakery of the highest order. I though that I made myself clear on that. What I clearly said, if a dog lives long enough they will develop cataracts, in my experience, and they learn to function just fine in familiar surroundings.

• Haha 1