Chapala.com Webboard

Porcelain crown price differential

Serenity6

Last week Dr Diaz (endodontist) did an incredible job doing a nasty root canal. I highly recommend him - said he's been doing this for 30 years.

Here is my question: at the office he works out of, there will be someone else who can implant the porcelain crown. I will need two. Their price is 6,000 each. Ouch.

Another dental office advertises porcelain crowns for a mere 2,000 pesos.

What's the catch for such a price differential? Several years ago in PV I had two porcelain crowns put in at the cost of 8,000 total for the two. 6,000 per crown seems awfully high. 2,000 seems so low that I am suspect of the materials used.

Anyone had porcelain crowns implanted and paid less than 6,000 pesos? (This is just for the crown, not the root canal.)

It isn't the material that sets the price, it's the time needed to do a proper preparation of the tooth to receive the crown. The crown is not just cemented to a "nub", as in cheap crowns, the tooth should be formed to exactly match the root below the gum line with the crown in place. A poorly fitted crown is a food trap that will be the demise of the tooth in a few years.

I wish there was some way to determine the gringo-taxers from the true craftsman.

There is is a variety of quality in crown and there are some cheap one and some expensive ones, it is like everything else if you want quality do not go for the cheapest ones.

There is a huge difference here in the income of the rich and the poor and I am not talking about foreigners so you see the same price range in the quality of the crowns. You will not get the highest quality at the cheapest price. Find out where the crowns are made and that will give you a clue to start with.

Yes- the above advice makes complete sense. I just have no idea of which lab is good. Would anyone who has had porcelain crowns implanted here or in Guad be willing to share their experience and price? 2000 pesos seems so low that I would fear just that - an infection that could go undetected while it slowly creeps into your sinus cavities and maybe your brain. And I don't want the crown popping out a year from now.

I suppose my question is, is 6k pesos the current going rate for a high-quality crown and a person who knows how to implant it?

Gold backed crown as opposed to metal will partially determine the price. IMHO, somewhere in the middle of the price range would be a good place. Although, a 6000 peso crown is only around $360US. 11 years ago I had two crowns for 5000 pesos but the exchange rate was 10:1.

I think you are safe if you use the three or so dentists whose names you will see most often in threads here asking for recommendations. My choice has always been Dr, Barragan in Mirasol. He did root canals, crowns, and replacement of two ancient bridges. His work is meticulous and precise. My extensive work was done four or five years ago so I do not recall prices. I remember feeling the cost was fair.

Oh, and I have never had any problems with anything he has done.

Best of luck.

I have just finished contacting several dentists in the PV area. Not sure if that is a good comparison but I got pricing for crowns from a high of 7200 pesos (for gold-ceramic, zirconia-ceramic or pressed ceramic depending on area of the mouth) to $5500 pesos for zirconia crown to $4000p for an all porcelain crown. All these dentists were highly recommended from more than one person. None of the half dozen dentists I contacted were under $4000p and I would be hesitant to consider a 2000p crown.

My husband did the $2000.00 peso crowns. They will have to be re-done. We are very sorry we went that way but at the time it was recommended. I have a hard time believing these are porcelain but that was what we were told at the time. They don't fit and he has to be very careful every time he eats to remove all the food that is stashed in the gaps.

I have several porcelain crowns, all $2000.00 Pesos each, including one that is part of a dental implant. Very happy with all of them! No problems. I worked in the dental field for many years and the work I have had done is equal to, if not better, than what I received at home.

Another item that people forget to think about is the sterilization practices the office uses. It is first on the list for me. I always ask to see their sterilization equipment, and ask many questions before I will ever sit down in the dental chair.

You can't judge by price alone. It is the dentist's skill and experience that matters most.

In September 2015, I received three zirconia crowns from Dr. Candy Ugalde in Riberas, paying 6,100 pesos per crown. As I recall, Dr. Ugalde gave me three options -- ceramic infused to metal, porcelain ceramic, and zirconia -- with the zirconia option being the priciest. I can't remember how much she was charging for the porcelain ceramic crown, though it definitely was less than 6,000 pesos and considerably greater than 2,000 pesos, which seems an incredible price to me.

By way of comparison, my dentist in the United States charges USD 1,050/ea. for cerec porcelain ceramic crowns.

I am so far happy with the work performed by Dr. Ugalde, who I liked very much, though her facility and equipment were not quite as modern as I was expecting.

Thanks for everyone for their advice. My big thing is obviously experience (I don't want someone who has only performed 20 crown fittings), sterility of office and protocol, and the quality of the crown. I don't want to repeat the experience in two years. 2,000 sounds just so inexpensive that while I am sure a few people get lucky, I cannot imagine how it could hold up. Its also a tooth that will be visible when I smile, so I don't want any dark shades of whatever inner composite to be visible if the crown is a combo of porcelain and some other darker material.

I think I'd just rather pay for the 6,000 pesos per crown, as much as that will be a financial hit, to ensure its done once and correctly. I was very please with Dr Diaz's office (I guess Dr Barrragan works from there too? Or am I confusing my dental offices?) Diaz's work on the root canal was top notch and he was also very kind with my cowardly self.

I have several porcelain crowns, all $2000.00 Pesos each, including one that is part of a dental implant. Very happy with all of them! No problems. I worked in the dental field for many years and the work I have had done is equal to, if not better, than what I received at home.

Another item that people forget to think about is the sterilization practices the office uses. It is first on the list for me. I always ask to see their sterilization equipment, and ask many questions before I will ever sit down in the dental chair.

You can't judge by price alone. It is the dentist's skill and experience that matters most.

Saturn, if you had those crowns done here, would you mind PMing me the place where you had it done and how many years ago the crowns were placed?

What Saturn said, had a porcelains crown in 2009, still doing great Dr Barragan. Can't remember the price but was close to $2000.

Thanks for everyone for their advice. My big thing is obviously experience (I don't want someone who has only performed 20 crown fittings), sterility of office and protocol, and the quality of the crown. I don't want to repeat the experience in two years. 2,000 sounds just so inexpensive that while I am sure a few people get lucky, I cannot imagine how it could hold up. Its also a tooth that will be visible when I smile, so I don't want any dark shades of whatever inner composite to be visible if the crown is a combo of porcelain and some other darker material.

I think I'd just rather pay for the 6,000 pesos per crown, as much as that will be a financial hit, to ensure its done once and correctly. I was very please with Dr Diaz's office (I guess Dr Barrragan works from there too? Or am I confusing my dental offices?) Diaz's work on the root canal was top notch and he was also very kind with my cowardly self.

Dr Barragan works in Guad or he did in 2009 and has an office in Chapala, his spouse worked on me also but not sure if she does crowns or root canals. Both work great together.

Dr. Barragan some time ago opened a very modern facility in Mirasol. Call 765 5584. Before he did, we went to his Chapala offices.

As others have pointed out, his work is meticulous. His prices aren't low, but they are fair for quality work. He's worked on me and my husband for years, extensive work including crowns and bridges.

I would check prices for crowns with Dr. Barragan before I decided to go with the 6000 p per crown. And you'd also get to meet him and see his clean, bright and up-to-date offices.

Lexy

redpepper, your info on Dr. Barragan is outdated. Dr. Barragan moved his office to Mirasol quite a bit ago. State-of-the-art dental office, right off the Carretera, by a very good dentist/endodontist. Perfect English spoken. He has also taken another very good Dentista into the office. I've only used her for a recent cleaning but did like her thoroughness and straight-forward approach.

You will find that Dr. Barragan's schedule is 'out' quite a bit due to his popularity, but well worth the wait.

Dr Barragan works in Guad or he did in 2009 and has an office in Chapala, his spouse worked on me also but not sure if she does crowns or root canals. Both work great together.

Dr Barragan has been in his beautiful new office at Mirasol for over a year. Chapala Dental, 39 Bugambillias, on the lateral at the entrance to Mirasol. Top of the line equipment, lab, waiting room with fireplace, etc. His prices are right and he is always painless.

Well, then, I'll chip in a recommendation for Dr. Barranga.

FWIW, he's not my regular dentist, but I went to him when I needed a crown because my regular dentist doesn't do them. I'd had such a bad experience the last time with someone else that I was shaking before the procedure--and going to the dentist has never been a big deal to me. The dentist who actually did the procedure (Dr. Carlos?) was such a young-looking guy that I had to ask him how old he was because I was waiting for him to start popping bubblegum. In a nutshell, it was as good an experience as going to the dentist can get. The young doc used the numbing meds and really made sure they had taken before giving the anesthetic shot...my biggest fear. I actually waited for it to hurt and had to ask him if that was it. It was extremely well done and I'm very, very pleased. Almost zero pain, a crown that fits beautifully and a price that, while not cheap, was reasonable for such quality work. I still go to my regular dentist, but wouldn't hesitate to go back to Dr. Barranga's practice for other than routine care.

Archived