Chapala.com Webboard

Convert dollars to pesos before or after arrival from states

Arriving in Ajijic in the middle of the month... after a yr and a half absence... is it best to convert dollars to pesos before arriving or after and if after, what is the best place to do that.

If you are arriving without any pesos for taxi fare, you'll have to get some pesos at the airport. Airports are not know for the best rates so I'd get just enough until you can get more in Ajijic. As RV suggests, I'd use the ATM at the airport rather than a booth, but at the end of the day the dollar difference is probably not going to break the bank.

Once in Ajijic use one of the many ATMs availabe with your debit card. I like the one next to Dominoes pizza (just west of Walmart) because that machine does not require one to 'turn loose of their card'.

Enjoy your trip back to Paradise....

I guess it depends on your bank. I ordered pesos from my bank ahead of my travel. They arrive in 48 hours or less and it had a WAY better exchange rate than any ATM or other method of exchange. I also have money sent from my U.S. bank to my Mexican bank and, again, great exchange rate.

I guess it depends on your bank. I ordered pesos from my bank ahead of my travel. They arrive in 48 hours or less and it had a WAY better exchange rate than any ATM or other method of exchange. I also have money sent from my U.S. bank to my Mexican bank and, again, great exchange rate.

Really? Exactly HOW great was it? In 35 years of international business I found the best exchange rate was alway IN country, not in the USA.

I also wondered about that. In my 40 years of traveling in Europe and Mexico I have never received the best rate from my bank.. And I used several different banks.

I also wondered about that. In my 40 years of traveling in Europe and Mexico I have never received the best rate from my bank.. And I used several different banks.

Next time I do it, I'll report on the exchange rate I received and the date it was received. I just know we tried several different methods of exchanging and found our bank to be the best rate.

Archived