Chapala.com Webboard

Amazon.com shipment - customs, duties, taxes, pick up point ??

Arjay

Thanks, but that wasn't really my question. Has anyone ordered from Amazon US something as expensive as a laptop? Especially electronics.

Some laptops will ship to Mexico and some won't. Select the "ships to Mexico" box near the top left of the Amazon page once you are into the "laptop" section. That will normally, but not always, filter out ones that they won't ship here. I have purchased and Amazon shipped an HP laptop with no problems. 6 months later I decided I wanted a second one and lo and behold it no longer shipped here. So I just bought it and had Estafeta USA send it to me and both transactions went off without a hitch. I have also had several orders of LED lightbulbs sent here and again no problems.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, but that wasn't really my question. Has anyone ordered from Amazon US something as expensive as a laptop? Especially electronics.

I've ordered wireless keyboards, mice and a 1 TB hard drive but nothing too big or expensive without any additioanl charges. Amazon tells you when you select an item exactly what the charges will be. I have looked and many TVs and computers and most will ship down here without that much cost. An example:

ASUS Transformer Book T100HA-C4-GR 10.1-inch 2 in 1 Touchscreen Laptop

$299.00 + $49.34 Import Fees Deposit & FREE Shipping to Mexico

• 2 weeks later...

My second Amazon order was laser printer toner for a Brother 2140. It was flown in to GDL by DHL but customs refused to allow it. They held it for 11 days with no word and finally called me to tell me that they were sending it back to Amazon. The customs lady said it is not allowed unless I or Amazon have some special permit, certification, or something like that. I wasn't prepared to write it all down so I can't be more specific. She did say, however, that I could bring it in myself on a flight with no problem. I checked with the TSA website and they do allow toner cartridges now.

My second Amazon order was laser printer toner for a Brother 2140. It was flown in to GDL by DHL but customs refused to allow it. They held it for 11 days with no word and finally called me to tell me that they were sending it back to Amazon. The customs lady said it is not allowed unless I or Amazon have some special permit, certification, or something like that. I wasn't prepared to write it all down so I can't be more specific. She did say, however, that I could bring it in myself on a flight with no problem. I checked with the TSA website and they do allow toner cartridges now.

DHL will send your package where ever you want in the US, just give them a name, address and phone number with no cost for you.

Really, RORRO? So, if a package being delivered by DHL gets tied up in customs, I just have to call DHL with a U.S. address and the other things you mentioned and DHL will pick it up from customs and take it back across the border and deliver it to a U.S. address at no additional cost, rather than return it to sender? That is great news. Can't believe this is the first time I have ever heard of this. Many thanks.

Wish I could join the Amazon cudos but I can't. I gave the service the old college try, with 3 strikes you are out as the game plan. Here is my experience so far, following all the advice given int he various threads about "how to do it right":

1st attempt: exercise equipment, pressure point roll, tensor bands, that sort of thing. All very light weight. Cost for everything was under 70 dollars all told. Arrived in 10 days. I was charged about 350 pesos at the door by the UPS delivery person. Was also charged USD$70 USD shipping by Amazon. See charges tabled below.

2nd attempt ( I am a sucker for punishment). Ordered a neck warming pad. I was called by DHL to say it was refused at the border and what to do. I said return it to Amazon. 8 weeks later Amazon refunded the cost of the items, but not the shipping or duty deposit.

3Rd attempt (I could say third time pays for all but I made the order about the same time as the second). Still waiting for it . I ordered a valve and ceiling extension tube for my rain shower. Total cost for the 2 items was US105, shipping, just under $7.00, duty "deposit" is nearly $18 dollars. All things totalled and factoring in the current exchange rate and that is one expensive valve. Today I saw a plastic one in Home Depot for about US$25. Didn't buy it because this order still has not arrived. It is now (finally) in the hands of DHL according to tracking notice I recieved. So far they tell me Amazon shipped it from Califonia on Nov 17th and one attempt was made at Columbia Mexico where it was delayed in customs before heading back to Forth Worth. It has been bouncing around between Dallas, Fort Worth and Mesquite everyday ever since. It is quite dizzying to see how much this small valve travels on any given day. I may never get it at this rate yet the funds were deducted from my credit card and Amazon has full use of them. This is how they make their profits I expect.

Its a simple Moen shower valve. Nothing extrodinary. The 2 items combined (extension tube and valve) probably weigh 6 ozs soaking wet. I am agast at the quality of service and the cost of it so far. Never mind the carbon credits burning up as it is bounced around from place to place. If it ever does arrive and DHL claims additional COD funds on delivery like my last experience and you can bet I will refuse the delivery and call Amazon about it.

So for me, the Amazon experience is just not worth it... and yes I am working with them about those excessive charges. So far no luck. Don't believe me? Take a look at this delivery, as made by Amazon not a third party. This is the order that UPS also charged me COD delivery for.

tem(s) Subtotal: MXN 688.77 Shipping & Handling: MXN 775.84 ----- Total before tax: MXN 1,464.61 Sales Tax: MXN 0.00 ----- Total for This Shipment: MXN 1,464.61

SO check carefully what your real costs are (including exchange rate). Better to buy it in Mexico. Everything is available here, you just have to look harder for it (groan). Sadly, most of what is available on Amazon Mexico comes in as an import item from the USA...and you get stuck in the same loop as I just described above. Good luck to the rest of you. I won't be using them again. They are just too expensive.

Sign me: Not a fan of Amazon....

PS: forgot to mention the test I gave of Amazon.ca. I bought a security cam set and had it felivered to a Canadian address. It arrived OK but UPS also charged $35 CAD COD at the door.

Yesterday when checking out, I saw that I was being charged a high shipping and/or duty fee so I cancelled the items in that order that cost too much.

Amazon charges the buyer what DSL and MX charges for the product. If it is too high, don't order it.

I have ordered many items that had no duty and a very small shipping charge. I won't order items that cost too much in duty and shipping. All charges are listed before you pay.

Amazon is not to blame for MX customs and duty.

Amazon charges the buyer what DSL and MX charges for the product. If it is too high, don't order it......

....Amazon is not to blame for MX customs and duty.

I agree with both statements however given the erratic MX customs and erratic delivery charges that, based on my shopping experiences, seem to be out of Amazons and their customers ability to predict begs the question if Amazon makes any sense economically? Never mind that Nafta seems to be ignored by customs in this equation. Most of the major stores in Mexico also offer web based stores for purchases and local delivery is always available. There is also a well funcioning Mercdo libre already in place.

I truely wish Amazon good luck while they get things sorted out with Mexican customs and the courier services they choose to use. I am all for choice and for competition. Until that time, I have no wish to pay more buy for the novelty of buying from Amazon compared to what an item costs me locally. I have learned an expensive lesson. The net result of not buying from Amazon is I can still find what I need to buy, and I get to support local business in the process, which is a bonus.

To each their own.

I agree with both statements however given the erratic MX customs and erratic delivery charges that, based on my shopping experiences, seem to be out of Amazons and their customers ability to predict begs the question if Amazon makes any sense economically? Never mind that Nafta seems to be ignored by customs in this equation. Most of the major stores in Mexico also offer web based stores for purchases and local delivery is always available. There is also a well funcioning Mercdo libre already in place.

I truely wish Amazon good luck while they get things sorted out with Mexican customs and the courier services they choose to use. I am all for choice and for competition. Until that time, I have no wish to pay more buy for the novelty of buying from Amazon compared to what an item costs me locally. I have learned an expensive lesson. The net result of not buying from Amazon is I can still find what I need to buy, and I get to support local business in the process, which is a bonus.

To each their own.

I had one order stopped at customs and it was last week. I told DSL to return it. It was rooting hormone which threw them for a loop and I couldn't explain to them why it was legal. They thought it was some type of drug.

If you read all the responses, no one has had the problems that you have.

Amazon is new at shipping here, but so far it is doing a great job.

I think you need to watch carefully when you check out and then you will see the problems.

Sheesh Joco, thanks for the vote of confidence but I am far from the computer illiterate you seem to think I am. Sometimes it simply is what it is and no more It just so happens that after my experiences I think Amazon is too expensive and prefer to buy local. If you are happy to pay more, well god bless and god speed. It is the consumer who pays too much for things that helps keep everyone else employed after all. Given the tracking history of the small valve I am still waiting for, I figure that tiny item is keeping at least 18 people employed at UPS Texas alone - and consuming more than its share of gasoline as it travels around! No wonder that valve is costing so much money compared to the similar valve I later found at Home Depot. So I say hooray for all the happy little consumers out there. Keep it up y'all.

I don't buy items on Amazon that I can buy locally. Why would anyone?

Yesterday I ordered a cell phone smart watch. The shipping is a little over $5. If I could find one for the same price here, the tax would be higher than the shipping.

I wouldn't buy a cheap item that isn't being shipped for free by including it in a more expensive order.

That isn't being computer literate.

Really, RORRO? So, if a package being delivered by DHL gets tied up in customs, I just have to call DHL with a U.S. address and the other things you mentioned and DHL will pick it up from customs and take it back across the border and deliver it to a U.S. address at no additional cost, rather than return it to sender? That is great news. Can't believe this is the first time I have ever heard of this. Many thanks.

Yes my friend ! I did it already but call directly to paquetería DHL aduana de Guadalajara.

digite opción 3 ‎(Rastreo de envíos) + Opción 3 ( Envíos en liberación Aduanal) y marque la extensión 7630

Archived