Chapala.com Webboard

Amazon.com shipment - customs, duties, taxes, pick up point ??

Arjay

I placed my first Amazon order from here on Sunday and it was shipped yesterday with DHL and was scheduled to arrive on Friday, the 13th. About an hour ago I was informed that the shipment was delayed by customs in GDL and that the delivery would be delayed -- same old problem many others have had.

I followed the recommended procedure from these postings and chatted online with an Amazon rep. He assured me he could take care of it and that it would arrive on the original scheduled day. So far, so good; I'll report back.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For some reason, it seems that almost everything shipped DHL by Amazon, gets delayed in customs. Usually, it is just for a few hours and delivery is not delayed. Sometimes it is much longer and I have them send it back to Amazon for a refund. Never have had this experience with UPS or FedEx.

I placed my first Amazon order from here on Sunday and it was shipped yesterday with DHL and was scheduled to arrive on Friday, the 13th. About an hour ago I was informed that the shipment was delayed by customs in GDL and that the delivery would be delayed -- same old problem many others have had.

I followed the recommended procedure from these postings and chatted online with an Amazon rep. He assured me he could take care of it and that it would arrive on the original scheduled day. So far, so good; I'll report back.

Update:

This little Hummzinger has been doing some flying of its own. According to the tracking details, since yesterday it has gone from Phoenix, to Ontario, CA, to Cincinnati, OH, to Guadalajara. It arrived GDL mid-morning today but at 12:30 pm it was delayed in customs and I saw the message that delivery would be delayed. I chatted with Amazon at about 1:30 and at 3:15 it had cleared customs and at 3:30 DHL had it back. It looks like Amazon may have some clout, or maybe it was going to happen that way anyway -- dunno.

Sol y Luna charges 40 pesos to nonmembers for accepting packages. Have a friend who belongs, address package to them and no charge. Ship directly to Sol y Luna in Ajijic.

I'll use Sol Y Luna next time, $40 pesos is no big deal. Being charged $250 by iShop to bring a package here from Laredo is ridiculous. They also said Customs and Duty was $150 pesos and I know there wasn't a charge. They gave me a receipt listing the charges. It was what they printed, so they could make anything up. They will be going the way of Mail Box Etc.

Amazon is using DSL for shipping in the U.S. also, so keeping Amazon happy is important to DSL. I'm sure DSL has people working with customs to expedite all Amazon orders.

Assume you mean DHL. I ordered a Dirt Devil last Friday and it was supposed to arrive tomorrow but DHL delivered today. No duty, free shipping because my total order was over $65 but the other items are temporarily out of stock. I expected Amazon to hold everything for one box which would have been OK but instead they sent the DD right away. Service is A+++.

Ordered 3 items, one of which is an internet phone. Shipped from Sacramento California on November 2 arrived November 10 at iShop Mail. Cost included "Import Fee deposit" of $30 on a just under $200 order. I do have a mailbox at iShop Mail so no charges from them. So far I have had nothing but good experiences with shipments from Amazon US and Amazon Mexico.

My order that was sent to ishop was not an Amazon order. This order was sent to the iShop Laredo address and supposedly taken through customs by iShop.

There could not have been any customs or duty charges and iShop charged $250 to bring it here from Laredo.

Have a friend who uses iShop. Her charges were outrageous from them. Part of the problem seems to be that when ordering from Amazon, at least, do not use their US address, but have it shipped directly to Mexico. If you use a U.S. address first and then have it sent from there to Mexico you are paying two shipping charges instead of one when sent directly to Mexico.

Update:

... According to the tracking details, since yesterday it has gone from Phoenix, to Ontario, CA, to Cincinnati, OH, to Guadalajara. It arrived GDL mid-morning today but at 12:30 pm it was delayed in customs and I saw the message that delivery would be delayed. I chatted with Amazon at about 1:30 and at 3:15 it had cleared customs and at 3:30 DHL had it back. It looks like Amazon may have some clout, or maybe it was going to happen that way anyway -- dunno.

This is from the latest email from Amazon regarding DHL's delivery method:

"Your order was shipped by DHL ... Packages shipped internationally are sent to the carrier's nearest regional shipping hub and then delivered to customers by their local postal authorities. "

This is the first I've heard of the post office getting involved with the local delivery. Is this how it works? Usually that is bad news.

Not my experience. I've been oredering from Amazon USA for several months. All shipments have come DHL to either my home or to HandyMail (no charge to recv packages). I've paid from zero to a few $ for shipping and never any duty. YMMV. When ordering from Amazon ALWAYS ship to your home address unless you're not going to be there to recv the delievery. In that case ship to a neighbor or friend or a business that doesn't charge you an outrageous fee.

I had a package shipped from Amazon DHL then they handed it off to local post office for delivery. At that time I started laughing... It showed "attempted delivery" on the tracking for the date it was to have been delivered. We live in a gated community with a guard 24/7 so that just wasn't true. Finally arrived about 10 days late. You better believe I let Amazon know. They were great and actually gave me a refund.

Mexican Amazon is steadily increasing inventory and if it carries same item as US Amazon it is usually a significant savings and even quicker delivery. Requires Mexican visa or debit card.

I have used Mexican Amazon many times with my US credit card, no problem. Maybe it's because I originally opened the account with Amazon.com. I sign into the Mexico version with the same sign-on and it brings all my shipping addresses, payment info, etc.

Ordering from Amazon.com.mx I get things directly at my house in less than a week. Ordering from Amazon.com in the USA it has usually taken one to two weeks, except when they use iParcel, which has taken well over a month, partly I think because it gets handed over to the Mexican post office once it crosses the border. I complained about late delivery, was refunded my shipping cost, and they said they would put a note in my account to use DHL or UPS in the future. We'll see if that actually happens! I did find that you can avoid the horrible iParcel shipping option by choosing a slightly expedited level of shipping (and of course paying a bit more).

Amazon estimates the import tax and brings the package through customs. I've never had a package rejected by customs but have heard it happens.

You just have to be careful. I recently tried to order a baby walker from Amazon.com to ship here. The walker cost $47, the shipping was $65! For obvious reasons I didn't complete the order but went over to Amazon.com.mx. I had to change my search two or three times to discover they had the same baby walker available through that site. It cost a bit more (not much more, given the great exchange rate and no additional import taxes), but the shipping was only 150 pesos (could have been cheaper but I picked 3-5 day delivery). Four days later I had it.

Long story short, ordering from Amazon has worked great for me here.

Good news. My order arrived today with no problems. It was left at a the guard house of our gated community - so I'm delighted. It arrived in exactly one week, actually ahead of schedule. Let's hope any future orders go so smoothly.

I have used Amazon US many times. Very good service. I received three Paint by Number kits that crossed the border by truck with no problem. Then twice I ordered again and they arrived at Guadalajara customs by plane. The customs there returned them to Amazon because they were paint.

I realized this was going to continue to be a problem so I ordered again using Hugh Roberts Zipp service and had them shipped to his Laredo address. He brought all seven through customs and delivered as promised. I'm happy to have them, but it cost a small fortune. I consider them an early Christmas present to me and the birds, dogs and I will not go hungry. The dogs and I can eat tortillas and beans, the birds may be fussy.

Details on Hugh Roberts Zipp service. You may PM me if you prefer.

Thanks!

I have used Amazon US many times. Very good service. I received three Paint by Number kits that crossed the border by truck with no problem. Then twice I ordered again and they arrived at Guadalajara customs by plane. The customs there returned them to Amazon because they were paint.

I realized this was going to continue to be a problem so I ordered again using Hugh Roberts Zipp service and had them shipped to his Laredo address. He brought all seven through customs and delivered as promised. I'm happy to have them, but it cost a small fortune. I consider them an early Christmas present to me and the birds, dogs and I will not go hungry. The dogs and I can eat tortillas and beans, the birds may be fussy.

This is from the latest email from Amazon regarding DHL's delivery method:

"Your order was shipped by DHL ... Packages shipped internationally are sent to the carrier's nearest regional shipping hub and then delivered to customers by their local postal authorities. "

The item arrived today at noon, and from DHL, not the post office. So, Amazon processed the order Monday, shipped Tuesday, and it arrived midday on Thursday using regular shipping. And that included that short delay in GDL. Kudos to Amazon and DHL!

The Chat rep may have helped with the delay but the followup email was misleading and contrary to what transpired. Don't know what that was all about.

We have ordered many items. One was a memory foam king size mattress. We have NEVER paid any import fees. (shoes, hangers, etc. )

You must use your MX address when you sign in. Many items will state " free shipping with a $65.00(US) purchase". This is located right next to the price. Other items will state above the product description if the item ships to MX or not.

When you are on the page of the item that you want to order, on the right there is a section that will state estimated deposits for fees. You willbe charged a deposit amount at checkout. IF this fee is NOT used at Customs, you will receive a refund after delivery. The refund will take 60 days.

I suggest using the Contact Us Chat option if you want more information.

We have ordered many items. One was a memory foam king size mattress. We have NEVER paid any import fees. (shoes, hangers, etc. )

You must use your MX address when you sign in. Many items will state " free shipping with a $65.00(US) purchase". This is located right next to the price. Other items will state above the product description if the item ships to MX or not.

When you are on the page of the item that you want to order, on the right there is a section that will state estimated deposits for fees. You willbe charged a deposit amount at checkout. IF this fee is NOT used at Customs, you will receive a refund after delivery. The refund will take 60 days.

I suggest using the Contact Us Chat option if you want more information.

I ordered three Samsung 64GB SD cards from Amazon US last week for a total of $71.00US with free shipping via DHL. They came yesterday, ahead of schedule, no customs charges. Has anyone ordered something like a laptop? I need to replace this rickety old one and don't want to get a Mexican laptop (too lazy to figure out the different keyboard, mostly) but hate to be faced with a big customs charge. Thanks.

I have bought both laptop and desktop Macs with English keyboards from Hall Microcomputers in GDL, delivered and set up at Lakeside. Great service and the warranty is good in Mexico, etc. I am using the iMac at the moment in the USA.

Archived