Chapala.com Webboard

Amazon.com shipment - customs, duties, taxes, pick up point ??

Arjay

I want to order a small item (a folding foot rest weighing one pound) from Amazon.com. They will ship to Mexico and the delivery charge is only $4.58, with 9-12 business days delivery. Sound too good to be true.

Has anyone had any experience shipping this way. I'd like to know if I'll be hit with customs, duties, taxes, might I have to pick it up in Guad? In other words, what are the pitfalls? Any help would be most appreciated. I put in my home address here since I don't have a mailbox.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I`ve had various things from Amazon delivered directly to my home address. No other charges. The 4.58 is way less than anything they`ve charged me even for books.

I had a printer delivered right to my door and there were no problems at all. About a month later I had ink delivered and it was way past the due date when it was finally delivered about two weeks later than projected. Apparently it got as far as Guadalajara and was stuck there for some reason (customs) but there were no additional charges. I will order again.

Good luck on the 9-12 days delivery. I`ve never had anything delivered from the US under 4 weeks.

I've selected the lowest priced shipping from Amazon and the order is usually delivered a week earlier than promised. It has never taken more than two weeks. I've paid for faster delivery and the order was delivered within 3 business days.

I just ordered clothing that has an $8 USD shipping charge. A huge change from iShop last week that charged $608 MXP for the same type and priced order. IShop must be making extra income claiming that customs has charges that it doesn't have, and charging three times the shipping that Amazon charges. It also took longer. Never again will I use iShop.

I just checked I have ordered 70 items in the past 6 months. Most are on time. Some get held up in customs. Some I have pass through Sol y Luna. Since I am prime member shipping is free to Laredo so of sets Sol y Luna dues. I have all items delivered to my Nursing home I have there staff there 24/7. My staff thinks every day is Christmas for me.

Make sure on your account page you have your Mexican delivery address. When you are shopping, the page will tell you if an item can be delivered here. I have occasionally checked, "Ship to Mexico" on the left side and when I clicked on an item it said the item cannot be sent to Mexico. There are still a few glitches, but when you check out, Amazon will tell you if it can be shipped here and any extra charges. It almost cost the same as being in the U.S. and takes about the same amount of time.

I've selected the lowest priced shipping from Amazon and the order is usually delivered a week earlier than promised. It has never taken more than two weeks. I've paid for faster delivery and the order was delivered within 3 business days.

I just ordered clothing that has an $8 USD shipping charge. A huge change from iShop last week that charged $608 MXP for the same type and priced order. IShop must be making extra income claiming that customs has charges that it doesn't have, and charging three times the shipping that Amazon charges. It also took longer. Never again will I use iShop.

Wasn't that kind of thing a problem with I Shop's predecessor, Mailboxes etc.?

If you don't trust IShop ask to see the duty paperwork to insure that they charge you the correct amount. If they can't provide the duty paperwork, then they are scamming you. I have always been able to see the duty paperwork, but that's just me.

I've ordered small and large things from Amazon, many of which had very low shipping prices (under $5). I have an account at Sol y Luna. Its all very easy. No extra charges, duties or anything. They call me once the package arrives. (I also had an account at iShop, but they never called when packages arrived and I much prefer the service offered by Sol y Luna.) I'm sure you could manage to get everything w/o the Sol y Luna account, but I just am wary of someone leaving a package unattended by my front door, if they can even get past my gated community if I am not home. The Sol y Luna service (especially since I also need a US mailing address) makes it much easier.

I've ordered a bunch of SD cards, peripherals, electronics, a tower fan, a very nice router, and all sorts of goodies that I've saved a heap on. Everything has arrived on time and Amazon is very good with customer service if things get lost or stolen in the mail, or if they arrive damaged.

Wasn't that kind of thing a problem with I Shop's predecessor, Mailboxes etc.?

Exactly, and that is what I told them.

I know there wasn't any duty or customs and I know it didn't cost $25 USD to get it from Laredo to here. They will go the way of Mail Boxes Etc.

Order and have the item shipped directly to your home address. Do not use Sol y Luna or iShop. It is not necessary to incur the additional charges they inevitably attach. If duty or taxes are required, Amazon will calculate those and include it in the price of your order. If there is an overcharge, they will refund you at a later date. I have done this dozens of times, had several small refunds and have never incurred an additional charge. As another poster suggested, always check in your cart to make sure that the item can be shipped to Mexico. The cart is the ultimate indication of what will ship to Mexico and what won't.

In recent months I have placed multiple orders with Amazon USA, some delivered to my home and some to HandyMail who charges nothing to receive packages. All deliveries have been prompt; the quickest was 4 days, the longest was 9. No duties, ever. Very low shipping charges. Simple.

Order and have the item shipped directly to your home address. Do not use Sol y Luna or iShop. It is not necessary to incur the additional charges they inevitably attach. If duty or taxes are required, Amazon will calculate those and include it in the price of your order. If there is an overcharge, they will refund you at a later date. I have done this dozens of times, had several small refunds and have never incurred an additional charge. As another poster suggested, always check in your cart to make sure that the item can be shipped to Mexico. The cart is the ultimate indication of what will ship to Mexico and what won't.

If I wasn't clear or maybe I didn't read your post the way you intended, I had two clothing items sent from the U.S. to iShop. They weren't sent by Amazon to iShop. Another order that was almost the exact types of clothing and total price was bought on Amazon and sent to my house.

IShop charged $608 pesos claiming customs and duty charges and a ridiculous shipping charge.

Amazon charged $8 USD shipping and no duty or customs.

IShop is a ripoff like its predecessor, Mail Boxes Etc., because MBE gouged prices also with packages.

I also know where the packages are with Amazon and iShop ignores all emails asking if a package has arrived or where it is.

After some nightmares with DHL I've recently had 2 shipments sent from Amazon that came DHL flawlessly. I paid an extra $3.00 to expedite my last order. Ordered on Monday and arrived here on Friday. I use Handy Mail in case I'm not home which always works and is no extra charge. I have a neighbor who uses his home address here and always gets his packages. Amazon and DHL have now redeemed themselves for me. BTW I don't ever remember not having the customs deposit refunded.

I've ordered from Amazon several times and never had a glitch. It was cheap and always arrived early. The only time I had a problem was when I ordered from Amazon, BUT it was shipped from the original seller. It took longer, and I had to go to Chapala to pay 40 pesos because they didn't get the shipping fee correct. But again, not a problem. A note was left by the courier and I had no problem picking it up at the post office in Chapala. I would order from Amazon agian in a heartbeat. Yes, do pay attention to whether an item can be shipped to Mexico. If not, I've found similar items that COULD be shipped. So the "rules" on that aren't entirely clear.

Amazon.com direct to Mexico is cheap, fast and reliable. Not everything I want can be shipped here, but as previously mentioned, you'll be told at checkout.

As for Ishop, sorry Yo1, but it's a royal rip off. We only use them for mail. I had 4 little embroidery threads sent to me there just a couple of weeks ago and it came in a regular, small padded envelope. Absolutely no real weight. Cost of threads? $2.36. Cost to receive envelope from Ishop? $170mxn. No customs, no real shipping costs, but over $10USD for a $2.36 envelope. Never again.

I order books from Amazon regularly. I use the San Antonio Handy Mail address for security reasons. The only books that never arrived were those I ordered from companies not actually listing Amazon as the shipper. Then I used my local post office address in Chapala and those books never arrived--though the shippers refunded my money in all three cases. Was it the fault of the private shippers or the Chapala post office? All I know is that I closed my local post office box and I only use Handy Mail's San Antonio address and I have never had a problem since that decision.

This is my experience and I continue to order things through Amazon with Amazon as the shipper without any problems.

Oops! I have never paid a single penny / centavo to get my packages. All I have ever paid has been what I paid Amazon online.

You probably have a box there. I used iShop's Will Call and I won't again. I don't want to rent a box because I don't get mail, or I don't want mail, and I only have a package that might need a Laredo address once a year.

I will ask Sol y Luna next time.

Archived