Chapala.com Webboard

Smog/Emissions Test

Alexis

Big new push on to check for stickers. True, few Mexican (and foreign) owners have been dufitul about doing tests in the past. Now new brooms are sweeping clean, and this is about to change!

After a two-week grace period (if you have no current sticker, you get time to get one and not have to pay the fine) they have now started issuing tickets that you CANNOT escape, and it's a substantial fine. I've seen stories in Mexican papers about actual roadblocks set up (presume in Guad) to milk this cash cow -- oops, excuse me --- enforce these laws in an effort to get terrible pollution under control --- and pollution is definitely an issue in the metro area.

Starting 2016 the fines wil go up again to well over $1,200 pesos (forget the actual number). So, for example, if your car license plate ends in 5 as does mine, I have to have a 2015 sticker (even though car only a few months old) and will need to get another one in May 2016.

Not sure how fast they'll get aggressive out here, but for sure if you go to Guad very often, better safe than hit with a huge multa.

No, they are getting serious NOW. (That's why I broke down and put a sticker on my car the other day.) I think the penalty this year is in the $700+ peso range. It is close to double starting Jan 1, 2016.

As I said, I think the main thrust at the beginning will be in the city, and possibly at entry points..... but don't take that as gospel!

the day I see a traffic cop give a ticket to a Mexican car that's spewing out exhaust fumes, will be the day I eat my sombrero... again

so many times I've followed a Mexican driver in their beat up junker down the carretera, with smoking tail pipe, cracked windshield, no brake lights, and out dated license plates and of course the transitos never pull them over....however, if you are an gringo with auto insurance, a legal driver's license, and a smog sticker, BUT you forgot to buckle your seat belt, you will probably be ticketed because it's THE LAW. that's what I was referring to, slainte39....it's all about the laws and their lack of enforcement

-----------------------------

It is still a disgusting premise.

I would be willing to bet my life that the pct. of tickets or warnings given for emission standards in Mexico is at the same pct. as or even less for foreigners than for Mexicans based the total population of both groups.

"and of course the transitos NEVER pull them over"

What a bunch of racist, prejudicial crap.

Obviously you are a foreigner.....You should apply for naturalization and then apply for employment at Vialidad.

where is the place in Chapala to have the test done? Is there only one place in the ara?

There is a place in Jocotepec also.

Thanks, Chapala is closer, I have to go to Guadalajara on Monday and I better have it done before I go. We had to leave our cat in CHiapas and we will not be able to drive it back in time for the sticker next year so I guess we can expect a fine..Our luck both car have to be done the same month so it is hard to win that one..

The big thing about emissions control in 2016 will be the automatic fines. They will keep track, and if your car is due for testing in July, come August 1st, if not done, you will get a fine added to your file. Then, you will need to pay that fine when you pay for your registration. The fines start around $1500 and go up if you fail to go the next month. All those folks who never bothered to get the sticker will be in for a shock. No need to wait for the transitos to catch you.

Another problem is that you won`t be able to get your sticker early. This will be a problem for snowbirds whose car is due in July, for example.

http://www.informador.com.mx/jalisco/2015/615769/6/infografia-las-claves-del-programa-de-verificacion-vehicular.htm

Pete

• 1 year later...

Guys pollution is not visable all the time. A car can look clean and be a real stinker.  I would rather inhale diesel than a overly rich gas engine for health reasons. Yea I know what you mean about the visable stinker but a clean pipe can still be bad. We live in a bad pollution area. Eight percent of all pollution in Mexico is from cars in Guadalajara. Fact. Get your car tuned up and tested if you can afford it.   Tune up that crappy air cooled old bug.  Don't we owe that respect to the area?  I see some Gringoes driving some pretty crappy pollution wise vehicles.  If it doesn't run right its probably massively polluting.  Yea I shut up now.

Archived