Chapala.com Webboard

Is it tonight or tomorrow when the displays are out for Day of the Dead?

valbogyo

I know tonight is when people go and place flowers and candles, and sit at the graves of their loved ones. When are the displays (alters?) set up on the street in San Antonio T and Chapala? Tonight or tomorrow night. I allways get confused.

Tomorrow the altars will line Cinco de Mayo in Chapala. The last couple of years they also had displays along the malecon and in front of the municipal building.

Today is the day to remember children and infants who died. Tomorrow is when the adults are called to return.

Definitely visit Cinco de Mayo in Chapala, from Lopez Cotilla northward a few blocks. It is a great display of the cultural traditions and a fun evening, beginning as darkness falls. There will be free snacks and ponche; even hotcakes, where the kids line up the most.

Definitely visit Cinco de Mayo in Chapala, from Lopez Cotilla northward a few blocks. It is a great display of the cultural traditions and a fun evening, beginning as darkness falls. There will be free snacks and ponche; even hotcakes, where the kids line up the most.

I agree with RV. This is a must see. If you do not drive after dark or have other evening plans you can go in the afternoon when altars are being set up. It is not the same experience but I have enjoyed it also.

Another thing, if you have mobility issues go before dark when walking is easier. The later it gets the more people there are and the more exciting it is but it can get exhausting just moving through the crowds.

Please be sure to not to litter on Cinco de Mayo street. The folks that live there and spend so much time and energy putting up the alters for others enjoyment don't like having to spend the next day cleaning up after litter bugs. It's becoming a real issue.

Archived