Chapala.com Webboard

Need a MX drivers licence when driving a MX plated car during the 6 mths we are here?

• 2 months later...

THANK YOU!!

We thought this was the case...that our valid licences from Canada are sufficient but wanted to be sure.

It was suggested that having a MX licence may prevent paying mordidas!!

But so far, lucky for us, we have not faced that possibility. smile

As for short term car rentals...I know that is an entirely different scene. But we own property and now a MX plated car...just want to stay above the law...and ahead of possible future requirements. At any time, the government may decide to impose this requirement, as we all know can happen here.

Again..thank you for your responses!!

It's a matter of opinion on whether a MX license would help with mordidas. MX plates help. But by the time they stop you and see your license, my bet is that they're going to want you to pay your way out.

PLEASE PLEASE NEVER PAY MORDIDA. First it is against the law. Second it encourages the continuation of the practice.

If you are guilty of an infraction SMILE and say "lo siento" then ask for the ticket. If they give you a ticket it will be much less than the bribe you would pay. You can pay it in Chapala in a few minutes. If you have a foreign license they know that you are under no obligation to pay, so the odds of getting a ticket are nill.

If the policeman threatens to take your license or tow your car it is a bluff. Both are illegal under Jalisco law.

I have been stopped by Federal, and State police for driving way over the limits on autopistas, and never received a ticket, Speed trap near San Luis Potisi, 120 in a 65 zone.. no ticket, Chapala no ticket. The secret... SMILE Lo Siento. I will pay.... give me the ticket.

Archived