Chapala.com Webboard

Severance Pay for Maids

EX-PAT2011

We are moving and it would not be feasable to keep our current maid. We have had her for one year. Do we have to pay her any kind of severance? Also, we did not choose her, she came with the house and the landlord told us we had no choice but to keep her. Please advise.

44 posts containing the words " severance pay" if you would care to do a search on this forum.

However, if you rent and she came with the house, she is not your employee, even if you paid her, but your landlord's. As such, you legally owe her nothing. Do whatever your heart thinks is best as a thank you for her services to you.

Whether you pay the maid directly or reimburse the landlord for paying her, she is most definitely not your employee and my post is correct if the situation is as I described. There is absolutely no question that if you did not hire that person nor do you have the right to terminate that person she is clearly not your employee. Feel free to consult an attorney to verify what I wrote.

Al Berca, I didn't mean to imply that what you said was incorrect. If the maid came with the rental house, then she is really the landlords employee. However, unless this was stated in writing as part of the rental agreement, and it came to arbitration and the landlord denies having said that they needed to keep the same maid, then I believe it would be looked at as the renters having to pay the severance.

Al Berca, I didn't mean to imply that what you said was incorrect. If the maid came with the rental house, then she is really the landlords employee. However, unless this was stated in writing as part of the rental agreement, and it came to arbitration and the landlord denies having said that they needed to keep the same maid, then I believe it would be looked at as the renters having to pay the severance.

What if the landlord didn't pay the maid severance when he "handed" her over to the renter? Who would be responsible for that? If she didn't sign a finiquito with the owner of the property, then she is still employed by him/her. Make the landlord produce a finiquito at the hearing....if it gets that far.

Archived