Chapala.com Webboard

"A Better Way to Think About Mexico"

Travis

My brother in the USA, who has never owned a passport or traveled outside of the U.S. (I quit trying to convince...), who lives on an island in Washington State and chooses not to have internet access, and who knows next to nothing about Mexico except that he felt resentment toward downward wage pressure at the construction sites he used to work on which he blamed on workers from SOB, called me today and left an excited message on my voicemail about an article he came across in USA Today. Then he called me again tonight to make sure I saw it. Here's a link to the article:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2015/10/29/voices-better-way-thinking-mexico/74627892/

Okay,a couple of points.

The Mexican government seemed to be prepared and concerned about the population regarding the hurricane.

Second point,having worked 30 years in construction in California I can understand your brother's resentment of cheaper labor from south of the border affecting his wages.

We should also remember how Mexico cared about it's neighbor to the north. Mexico was one of the first responders to Hurricane Katrina. The Mexican military arrived within hours in New Orleans with fresh water, emergency food supplies and first aid while FEMA and the Bush "administration" were still fumbling around with their fingers up their you know where.

I remember the news commentators stating that it was the first time since the War of 1846 that Mexican troops were on US soil! This as they broadcasted helicopter video of the dark green semi-trucks in a column, Mexican flags flying, bolting down a US freeway to the scene of the tragedy. This was followed by an uproar about the Mexican Army bringing possibly tainted "Mexican water"........ I remember feeling proud of Mexico, even as an American and further shame at our ignorance in questioning the bottled water they brought.

I'm glad we were concerned for our neighbor to the south this time. Nice to see when concern is backed up by real action. Bravo Mexico!

Well said! Too many newscasters in the USA omitted those facts, and too many others chose to forget them. Mexico should be proud of its rapid reaction in times of catastrophe. They do plan ahead and stage for the need before it happens, not after.

When the topic of less expensive labor from the south arises, why doesn't the conversation include the company owners who knowingly hire workers who will work for less and with little or no benefits? An electricians helper who worked on our home asked me all sorts of questions about Alaska ( despite the fact I'm not from there) he was recruited by a US firm to go to work in Alaska in a cannery. Is unemployment so low that Alaskans have to recruit in Jalisco? Or does the recruiter save money by hiring non US citizens? Funny how people are quick to blame the worker for the bosses choices.

In my beloved State of Washington, we become so desperate to find people that will pick our fruit crops that the State openly invites undocumented worker to come to Washington! They must be ads paid for by the fruit growers and at least unofficially sanctioned by the State. Without these worker, Washington's economy would collapse. Washingtonians DON'T PICK FRUIT!

Some years back they ran a series of radio adds stating: "Come to Washington, we have free services for you, medical, schools for your kids, etc." This got the State invaded by Department of Homeland Security agents (the Feds). They were everywhere and are still here in their light colored SUV's stopping any vehicles with groups of dark haired people, would board our buses and airport shuttles and check papers if you had an accent. On my way to Seattle to board a plane to Mexico, agents boarded our shuttle and asked me "Are you a US citizen?" I replied with no accent so they did not require me to produce ID.

It was right out of KGB Russia or 1930's Gestapo Germany, " Deine Papiere Bitte". One incident occurred where they randomly tried to stop one of those vehicles filled with "dark haired individuals" and after a short chase, the car pulled over and occupants fled into our thick woods on foot, followed by agents. Big news in our otherwise sleepy little Port Townsend newspaper!

Very unsettling for us in Washington State and further proof that the USA officially became a Police State after 9/11.

It's unfortunate that growers have to resort to inviting undocumented "aliens" but what are they to do if gringos are too lazy to do the real hard and "unpleasant" jobs? Construction is another story. That seems like abuse by the bosses and an unwillingness to pay a gringo a living wage, even though they might still get more bang for their buck at comporable wages

from those hard working Mexicans!

Archived