Chapala.com Webboard

Terrorist bean sellers at Superlake

These kids are not local. They are dropped off. Even their dialect is different. My mexican friends told me they are from Mezcala and their language is vulgar especially from kids.

I saw them talking under the stairs and lucky for me as I was leaving they were heading as a group towards SL

They are nasty. I avoid them

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What if any time this happened to someone that person went directly into SL and demanded that they call the police? The police would likely get tired of it in a hurry, and the SL staff would likely get tired of it too. It also wouldn't do anything to help their business. I don't think calling the police from your cell phone would have the same effect. The SL staff need to do it, and preferably Pancho.

Cane the little buggers! Better yet, simply tell Pancho that you will not shop there until he manages to get rid of the problem. You might have to petition him with lots of signatures. A gang of those Tonio-types can grow up to be dangerous to your health, so join forces and get Pancho and the authorities involved.

No kids there at 4 p.m. when I drove by. Maybe this thread had an impact.
Plus, I loved all the jabs about my buying Pace Picante Sauce.

I make my own Picante Sauce, but ran out and didn't have time to make a new batch.

I have tried others, and none match my palate like Pace.

My home-made picante sauce blows Pace out of the water.

It is really pretty simple...if you don't feel comfortable going there then just don't shop there until the problem resolves itself. That will happen when gringos stop going there. No gringos, no bean mafia, no beggars. Maybe eventually the business operators in the area will see a correlation between profits and a hassle free environment. But then again many don't even turn on lights in their stores so maybe they will never understand the relationship...

Meantime the semi-insane windshield wiper man has been here for 10 years or more while working his crap windshield wiper business from the Guad Pharmacia to Riberas....he damages cars, wipers and curses out Gringos...the police come and discuss his conduct and he wanders back up the road...gets run off and wanders back down the road. If the authorities can't stop him then how can you expect the police to run off some ten year old gypsy children?

Meantime the semi-insane windshield wiper man has been here for 10 years or more while working his crap windshield wiper business from the Guad Pharmacia to Riberas....he damages cars, wipers and curses out Gringos...the police come and discuss his conduct and he wanders back up the road...gets run off and wanders back down the road. If the authorities can't stop him then how can you expect the police to run off some ten year old gypsy children?

Last sighted plying his trade at the Tuesday Market in the parking lot.

I saw some kids selling vegetables last Sunday at superlake, there was also an adult man trying to sell some kind of plant in the car park, later I saw all the selling kids crammed in the back of this guys old truck, driving off. It very much seemed to me these kids were 'shipped in', and that this guy was not their dad. All of which is very worrying.

Last sighted plying his trade at the Tuesday Market in the parking lot.

Some number of years ago, after I refused his "new" wipers, then when I came out of whatever store I was in.... he carefully pointed to a newly broken part of one of the wipers. There are times when not speaking Spanish very well saves me getting into a lot of trouble. Needless to say I refused his kind offer of tiny wipers that didn't come close to fitting my van. And I didn't run him over as I left. Still proud of myself for that.

I saw some kids selling vegetables last Sunday at superlake, there was also an adult man trying to sell some kind of plant in the car park, later I saw all the selling kids crammed in the back of this guys old truck, driving off. It very much seemed to me these kids were 'shipped in', and that this guy was not their dad. All of which is very worrying.

There is one guy who often sells orchids and has his son selling beans. They've been around longer than I have. No way to know if it was him of course. He's usually further down towards Ajijic though.

I was at SuperLake about 6:30 p.m tonight. And about 10 – 15 of the boys who sell vegetables outside of the store that also sells vegetables surrounded my drivers door as I was trying to get inside… all saying “money, money, money” like they normally do, but this was not the normal bunch of kids.
One of the older boys tried to prevent me from closing my door. I am younger and stronger than most retirees here and closed the door. He started cursing at me in English and said “F*ck you Motherf*cker” and put his middle finger up in my face through my driver’s window.
I almost drove off, but decided this was over the top and we should not be subjected to this treatment where many of us shop. I turned my car off and got out to find out who this boy (13-14 yrs old) was, terrorizing the customers -- and they all scattered and he ran -- but stayed near his pack.
I was parked near the herbal store and liquor store. To their credit, a man from the liquor store and a very attractive lady (possibly from upstairs) saw the entire situation and came and chased them away.
I realize that Pancho has been very kind to allow these less fortunate kids to compete with him, but also know that being besieged incessantly with “beggars with green beans” asking for “money, money, money” has made shopping at Superlake or any of the stores there, uncomfortable. Not to mention all the trash they so ungratefully leave behind. (The space next to the cooler by the liquor store was awash in trash from these kids and more trash all around.
I am 58-yrs-old, 6’0” tall, 180 lbs, well-trained and physically fit. If these punks are comfortable attempting to terrorize me… what danger could it represent to someone who is not as capable as myself.. perhaps in a walker?

As much as I care about others, this is unacceptable... and as much as I like Poncho, he is the only one who can fix this and think we should all let him know.

What did he say when you informed him?

there are so many who have bright ideas on how to solve this problem, but none of them are from mexico and probably very few speak spanish in a spanish speaking country and are ignorant of what life is like here.while the op acted very correctly and is to be commended the others are justs nobs from another country and life style with different cultures. i belive there are many youngsters selling the populus of america with things on the street that are much more harmful than beans !! how do you react to that ?

petitions or speak with neighbouring shops ? do you give them money because you feel soory for them ? answer . no !! so dont do it here.

....... i belive there are many youngsters selling the populus of america with things on the street that are much more harmful than beans !! how do you react to that ?

petitions or speak with neighbouring shops ? do you give them money because you feel soory for them ? answer . no !! so dont do it here.

What are you referring to? The U.S. has a functioning law enforcement system (for the most part, work with me here). Organized gangs harassing tourists would be shut down so fast that frankly it wouldn't occur in the first place. The shop owners would be all over it, as much as the victims themselves. If it happened one time, police would do follow-up patrols for days.

Selling things more harmful than beans? If you're referring to drugs, is your idea that "many youngsters" are flooding the streets with open selling and accosting people who don't buy? That's a fantasy. Dealers and sellers are collaborating, not adversarial.

The problem that I'm having with this bean terrorism, is that it can't happen in an area with any type of functional law enforcement. So yeah, you're getting gringos trying to figure out how to protect themselves in a vacuum.

Archived