Chapala.com Webboard

Terrorist bean sellers at Superlake

The issue here seems to be we have a gang of young children at an age when they are most at risk who are surviving the only way they know how. Someone is supplying them with beans so they have an adult controller somewhere. All very Charles Dickens. It is obvious those children needed to be rescued, and not by some foolish bleeding heart Gringo with more money than sense. Child services, such as they may exist in the area, should be called and all hooliganism incidents should be reported to the police. Yes, I am sure the authorities are all aware of the kids, but it seems they need reminding to do their jobs - frequently- else the problem persists and those boys remain at risk.

Having to run that gauntlet of beggers -all of them, is the prime reason I no longer shop at Superlake, Paz or any of the stores in that strip. I have too many friends who work very very hard for their minimum wage, I am not about to support someone who just sits there and asks for money. I don't care how sweet they are or how ruffian they are, they have not earned it. They are part of the problem that Mexico is trying so hard to fix and giving them money makes us part of the problem too.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately, there will never be guards at SuperLake, or anyone pushing beggars and sellers away. It's the way Mexico works, and many successful business owners here started the same way: selling in the streets. They are not about to push anyone around who is in dire straits (no matter where the profits go). So a bunch of gringos hitting on Pancho is only going to generate disappointment and possibly bad vibes.

The good news is, these things happen in waves, and it won't be long before the aggressive bean boys calm down again, partly because there are just too many of them to survive.

Tonio is a different story. He's been around forever, as many of you know, and if he was going to be "moved along", it would have happened by now. You won't see people like him at the big chains like WalMart or Soriana, though.

Even my favorite carwash guy at SuperLake, who used to be a very happy guy... now I never ask him "Que pasa" because he has learned to recite the whole "whoa is me" rap.

I can also attest to this gang of tweens who hang out between the hardware store and Superlake. They approached me to buy green beans also, I said no gracias, and one of them started to touch my car and I lit into him like an angry mother and they backed off. This boy did yell obscenities at him and I walked away. My husband who has been undergoing chemo was in the car but they didn't see him. I have bought fruits and veggies from some boys in San Antonio for years, and I don't recognize these boys. Just little sh*ts acting like ganstas. I agree that Pancho should be willing to do something to protect his customers from getting harassed.

Has anyone, who knows Pancho well, spoken to him about the problem?

I have had them approach me, when I would not buy, the kid kicked me in the ankle, and tried to get his hand in my pocket, and it tore when I pushed him away, so I am no longer going to Super Lake until the is a guard

I wonder if someone who is fluent in Spanish could write a letter and have it delivered to Pancho describing the complaints and the fact that some people may avoid shopping there unless a solution is found? I value his store for a number of reasons and want to support local businesses. After all, where else can someone find PACE salsa? :unsure: (Personally, I find that Herdez is not only cheaper but better.)

I sympathize with the plight of these kids, but positive reinforcement (giving them money) of negative behavior isn't the way to go.

Of course there is private security in nearly every neighborhood in Mexico, it is usually provided by the area's organized thugs who demand a kickback from the shopowners. This "gang" of teens could very well be a part of a new shakedown. Unfortunately, in the past at least, the local police work the very same way.

Anyone who thinks that giving money to, or buying beans from these "children" is doing something "positive" to assist them is very sadly mistaken. You are actually contributing to them being a more hard core criminal. It is too late for most, if not all, of these "children" to ever have a decent life. I don't understand some people who think that "giving" money is doing something positive to help, when they do not understand anything about the people they are "helping". :(

The majority of Superlake shoppers (just guessing) seem to be foreigners; many quite elderly. Walmart seems to be the store of choice for Mexicans.

You are probably right,but the last time I was in Superlake I overheard a couple Mexican ladies discussing what type of breading to use for the shrimp they were going to cook,I suggested they try the Panco,these ladies would never put up with some mocoso hassling them.

True, but a guard would go a long way toward helping, and he would be as entitled to be on a public way as the undesirables are.

Ironically one of the occasional carwash guys, at Superlake, wears a private security uniform to work. I thought he was a pleasant enough fellow until the day he tried to shake me down for hospital money for his sister. He produced a page from a San Xavier Hospital notepad with some sort of handwriting. I didn't really read it, I told him the first thing he should do is to get his sister out of the most expensive hospital in Guadalajara!

The hardest, most persuasive kids are recruited by the gangs. A mother's nightmare. Remember that young teen in Mexico City who admitted that he had already murdered 12 people. In the Olde Mexico, the Mexico that had 72 years of continuous PRI leadership, each block, each colonia, had citizens to oversee everything and could manipulate the various layers bureaucracy. Many of these bureaucrats were politically appointed. If the neighborhood had a child molester or some kids that were stepping out of place, you did not see the police, you saw some shadowy, godfather type figure, who would take care of the problem (a disappearance in the most severe of solutions) but now you owe him a favor and respect. These old ways are disappearing, and many old timers miss them (like many old timers in Russia miss the Soviets). The cartels have become so crazy and violent, I doubt if anybody today would seek their help on a community policing matter.

What happened to labor laws for children?

They are not enforced.

You can see little kids working busy dangerous intersections in Guadalajara every day,selling something.

Hey Luke, I suspect the term terrorist was used more in the spirit of the Baker Street Boys, than in the spirit of ISIS, but that is probably splitting hairs. Regardless, if people are being terrorized, pockets are being torn, ankles kicked, and more than a few attempts at petty larceny, and clearly the situation is out of hand. I know, as I have been grabbed more than once myself, and is the reason why I don't go back.

Chillin, your story of the old ways of doing things under the old PRI regime is spot on. However that old system only existed because of the total abscence of a functioning government and the abject failure of rule of law. If Mexico is to thrive as a country, that sort of a system is not to be tolerated and should never be aspired to again. Feudal rule has kept Mexico backward and poor and must end, This is recognized by the OECD and by all of Mexico's political parties who agree that the old ways must end if Mexico is to prosper.The Federal PRI government under Nieto has vowed to eliminate this sort of thuggery and corruption in Mexico, not just on the streets but in administrative offices as well. We now have a newly elected PRI admin in Chapala whose job it is to follow through on that party line.

This issue is a public security issue and not the responsibility of the local shop keepers. This problem is not Superlakes problem alone and it is unfair that they should be singled out. It is the problem of everyone who lives here and wants to be able to go about our business in security knowing that we have a police force and a political admin who will protect us, support us, and who we can rely on.The local businesses have a right to be able to conduct their business in safety just as we have the right to use their businesses without being threatened.

Our new Alcalde was elected to put his actions where Pena Nietos mouth has been for the last few years and make our streets safe. All the while doing that without resorting to the old corrupt ways of the past, ie: without muscling the local shop owners or otherwise making life difficult for those whose complain about security issues (or anything else for that matter). If our new Alcalde fails to do that, or if he uses this as an excuse to extort money for himself or his administration then his government is already a failed government and, if such a thing exists here, a recall vote should be held to keep him accountable...... But lets give the new guy a chance to show what he is made of first.

Chapala needs an administration that is committed to anti-corruption, to rule of law, to providing security for all, and for providing opportunities for economic growth. Without this kind of admin, Chapala and region will have a very poor future. We already have the example of the Alcalde of Iguala to know what happens to corrupt administrations these days. May he rot in prison. Our own Alcalde now has a stellar opportunity to show us he is cut from different, better stuff; and that he works for us, not for the thugs. So lets addres to our new Alcalde, please show us you are capable of dealing with a minor security issue occasioned by a few small children and their thug leaders. Dealing with it in a firm but humane manner that provides security for all, and provides the help those children need. If a crime has been committed, let it be the handlers of the those children who do the time.

I happen to pay my taxes in Mexico and this sort of service is a bare minimum of what should be provided by our tax dollar. I am currently visiting Vancouver, waiting for a flight, ergo this rant, and where I do not pay taxes but where I can assure you, I am much much better provided for where safety and services are concerned. Such a situation described in this thread would never have been allowed to go this far up here. Sr. Alcalde, que seria su proxima paso, Hmm?

Archived