Chapala.com Webboard

Terrorist bean sellers at Superlake

I was at SuperLake about 6:30 p.m tonight. And about 10 – 15 of the boys who sell vegetables outside of the store that also sells vegetables surrounded my drivers door as I was trying to get inside… all saying “money, money, money” like they normally do, but this was not the normal bunch of kids.
One of the older boys tried to prevent me from closing my door. I am younger and stronger than most retirees here and closed the door. He started cursing at me in English and said “F*ck you Motherf*cker” and put his middle finger up in my face through my driver’s window.
I almost drove off, but decided this was over the top and we should not be subjected to this treatment where many of us shop. I turned my car off and got out to find out who this boy (13-14 yrs old) was, terrorizing the customers -- and they all scattered and he ran -- but stayed near his pack.
I was parked near the herbal store and liquor store. To their credit, a man from the liquor store and a very attractive lady (possibly from upstairs) saw the entire situation and came and chased them away.
I realize that Pancho has been very kind to allow these less fortunate kids to compete with him, but also know that being besieged incessantly with “beggars with green beans” asking for “money, money, money” has made shopping at Superlake or any of the stores there, uncomfortable. Not to mention all the trash they so ungratefully leave behind. (The space next to the cooler by the liquor store was awash in trash from these kids and more trash all around.
I am 58-yrs-old, 6’0” tall, 180 lbs, well-trained and physically fit. If these punks are comfortable attempting to terrorize me… what danger could it represent to someone who is not as capable as myself.. perhaps in a walker?

As much as I care about others, this is unacceptable... and as much as I like Poncho, he is the only one who can fix this and think we should all let him know.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well done mate ! so far i havent had this problem but i would react in the same way. but is scarry for older folk.the other nerd is the car cleaner think called antonio. rude ignorant scam merchant .many posts about him as well.superlake and the other shops should be seen to be doing something or the older ones will just not shop there.

These boys have been doing this for well over a year. Not 10 or 15, but in groups of 3-4 trying to sell vegetables in an intimidating manner and then walking away with your change unless you yell or go after them. Not only at Super Lake, but they cover a wide swath. Tried to do it to me at Brissi's restaurant in Riberas. Now, they walk away when they recognize me. And they all look less than ten years old!

Wow,that sort of situation would probably never happen in Guadalajara,no terrorist bean sellers here.

LOL... yes, it happens there. But, I don't arrested there for beating up cholos who try to jack me in Guad.

All the cops know why they got beat up.

Here, my neihbors and fellow church members might not approve of such a reaction.

LOL... yes, it happens there. But, I don't arrested there for beating up cholos who try to jack me in Guad.

All the cops know why they got beat up.

Here, my neihbors and fellow church members might not approve of such a reaction.

No it doesn't happen here,Mexicans wouldn't put up with some aggressive mocoso terrorist bean sellers,that's a fact.

It must be a gringolandia thing.

Funny they have never bothered me. I tell them I do not like large beans and will not buy them and they go away They must have their favorite customers.. I never bought anything from them and have never been harassed, they do try to sell but when told know they go away.

We were there about 5:30pm and saw them also, one of the older boys always calls me a name, I usually ignore him but sometimes would love to slap him. I asked Claude at the nutrition store why don't they get rid of them and he said there is nothing that they can do. Claude also said they would move on if people quit giving them money, they will stay as long as they keep getting money.

I also noticed one of the young boys trying to keep a lady from closing her door but she over powered him and slammed her door, I hate it when they won't keep their hands off your car.

I was in the Ajijic plaza one day and the chubby one that calls me names was there with the other little guys, a gringo guy bought them hamburgers and after he left they just threw them in the bushes, they don't appreciate anything.

They will never get a dime out of me, none of them or the beggers.

I am a laid back guy who has been here 10 years. No drugs, last joint was in college. I don't go out much. I have been with the same woman for 10 years and mostly work at home on my computer. I go to Superlake frequently because it is near my house. (Certainly not for the discounted prices... but for the convenience.) Most of you know me by name and sight.

The beggars outside are fine... the pie salesman is very nice always, too. And, who can resist buying a lotto ticket supporting Cruz Roja?

The kids selling beans are agressive salesmen... that is okay.

But, when they start cursing at me and yelling "Motherf*cker" and flipping me off... this is unacceptable no matter how poor they are.

Ask the people in the liquor store. They will tell you. They saw and heard everything,

I had just come back from Superlake to my car buying PACE Picante Sauce (made in NY commercials) {98 pesos} Ouch!

I need to point out that these kids are not the same kids who are there during the day. But, are known to Poncho and the other store owners.

My woman said, leave it to the Mexicans.. they don't want to hear form you. Same comment from my long-time friend here.

Really? Just accept mobs demanding your money?

Guess I am a racist. I do not accept this.

Jesus that sounds pretty back have they gotten really aggressive lately? I have never given them money and do not buy from them and they do not bother me but I have not gone to superlake for a while, it sounds like it is getting out of hand.

So this is happening in the late afternoon or all day? I go there in the morning and have never been there late maybe that is the difference, no I would not take it or let them get away with it. Nothing racist about telling a bunch of aggressive kids off, I would do the same thing and it has nothing to do t¿with the fact that they are poor or Mexicans. Buying food for kids misbehaving is sending out the wrong message.

I'm at SuperLake early in the day. These are not nice, sweet kids trying to sell a bag of good green beans to make a few pesos. I've had the attempts to block me from closing the door when I try to get in the car. In fact, I've had one kid try to close the door on my ankle. And they block me when I drive in and get out of the car. They're aggressive. Getting into and out of SuperLake has become very unpleasant, including with that one car washer who invariably tells you how bad business is and acts like a beggar. He's even given me notes written in English about someone needing to pay for a funeral and another time another problem. He infringes on the baggers in SuperLake ready to help you to your car (and I need that help). I'm guessing that Pancho and the other merchants feel they can't do anything. But if they realized that some of us are avoiding going there because of these kids maybe they'd give it all a second thought. Imagine going to Walmart to avoid going to SuperLake. . . .we've come to this.

Thanks, Aguasponicman, for standing up to them. And no thanks to the knee-jerk reactions of the gringos who think these nasty kids deserve a hand-out.

Lexy

I had just come back from Superlake to my car buying PACE Picante Sauce (made in NY commercials) {98 pesos} Ouch!

LOL!! 98 pesos for a jar of imported salsa from New York and you're in Mexico..

I prefer the chile de molcajete we make at home for about ten pesos...

Never ever give money or buy from kids. That is the only way to keep them from the street. That was one of the first things i learned from my Mexican family in law. Most of the money they earn they must give it away to someone else or they will use it for other (illegal) purposes.

The same goes to those people at traffic lights (especially in gdl), washing your car windows and so on. It is holding up the traffic and the only way to remove those people is not giving anything.

I am around SL all the time and do not see any of the described activities. I know the car washers and they are good people, helping some of you park your cars and back them out. Generally if you are nice to people, they are nice to you. I should add that I don't park in the SL parking lot, but across the street, where it isn't congested. And I am not there in the evenings except on Friday's and I don't see any kids around.

LOL!! 98 pesos for a jar of imported salsa from New York and you're in Mexico..

I prefer the chile de molcajete we make at home for about ten pesos...

If you like your salsa in a jar (cooked) try Herdez brand of Salsa Casera. It's actually better than Pace and much cheaper.

Twice I have seen foreigners give these kids money, and not just money, lots of money. Once it was a woman, once a man. I should have gotten out of my car and told the foreigners they were making a mistake, but I didn't want to call attention to myself.

I will not buy from or tip the boys, but I always tip the men who direct traffic. I also get my windows washed occasionally. I also give small coins to the embroidery women.

Sounds like at the profit margins Superlake is enjoying, it's time to employ some private security gaurds. Maybe not someone with a shotgun, but a big guy with at least a night stick, who knows how to use it if he has to. That's how most countries would deal with this problem. The U.S.A. used the Brinks "detectives", and the problem never came back.

I agree. Super Lake is making a ton of money from us and a full time male adult stationed in the parking lot to help out and assist people could be done each day for less than the cost of two or three jars of Pace salsa at 98 each. We need to get a petition going or each of us that are concerned speak to Pancho individually about safety concerns in his lot that need to be taken care of. This is long overdue.

I experienced the same kids there on Friday also. One of them would not let me get to the tailgate of my vehicle and when I finally got him to move so I could lift it, he put himself directly under it preventing me from shutting it again. The older car wash gentleman made him move. I feared he was going to jump into the back of my SUV. I feel for the younger kids that desperately need to sell their beans, but at some point we have to be proactive about our safety. Normally I have my very large 90 pound Rottweiler mix in the vehicle with me but not yesterday, he keeps them from approaching my rolled down windows. I guess I won't be leaving him at home again when shopping at SL or Paz.

why would anyone buy those large beans that are sometimes fresh and sometimes not , These kids are like the gipsy kids in Paris, they work for a gang leader and quickly learn who can be intimidated. WHen we first got here 15 years ago the little tonio was about the only one who was aggressive. now they have multiplied. you should not buy from them otherwise you will have a bunch of Tonios around following you up to your house...

I saw Tonio when he was a teenager telling the cops to leave him alone. He told them "I am working and earning a living , do you want me to rob houses? The cop backed up so I would not be surprised the stores cannot do anything but people can stop buying or giving them any money and they will move on.

I agree a security guard would be good, especially in the evenings. Can someone who is fluent in Spanish communicate this to Pancho?

Archived