Chapala.com Webboard

Cost for Endoscopy

Arroyos

Prices vary greatly depending on :

1. Place (Hospital vs. "Clinic")

2. Who does it - Endoscopist and Anesthetist. The younger and less experienced tend to be less expensive

3. Biopsy - The number of Biopsies done (if needed) and the cost of the.....

4. Pathology report - The pathologists fees are usually not included as part of the procedure. Each pathologist charges different rates depending

on the specimen.

Can be as low as $5-6 thousand pesos and can be as high as $18-20 thousand pesos in a fully equipped hospital (such as San Javier) done by

a doctor with a solid rep and >20 years experience such as Dr. Rene Male Velasquez.

Sorry if this is too vague but you can discuss them with your referring doctor.

I don't recommend that they be done at any Clinic Lakeside. There is always the risk of a perforation during such a procedure.

Please take much more than the price into consideration as this is a potential killer. I had a cheap deal at Tolsa and nothing bad happened but I was unnerved that the scruffily dressed anaesthesiologist was smoking as he put me under. On the other hand, Dr. Male who is very experienced and well thought of, had a terrible accident with my husband when doing this test. Luckily my husband's life was saved because he was in San Javier and the wonderful surgeon Dr. Jorge Arch was available in the middle of the night to start the complicated repair. It was a year before my husband could again eat rather than take nutrition through a stomach tube.

Please take much more than the price into consideration as this is a potential killer. I had a cheap deal at Tolsa and nothing bad happened but I was unnerved that the scruffily dressed anaesthesiologist was smoking as he put me under. On the other hand, Dr. Male who is very experienced and well thought of, had a terrible accident with my husband when doing this test. Luckily my husband's life was saved because he was in San Javier and the wonderful surgeon Dr. Jorge Arch was available in the middle of the night to start the complicated repair. It was a year before my husband could again eat rather than take nutrition through a stomach tube.

very, very scary. So glad your husband is alright now.

OMG. How awful. And yes, Dr. Male's reputation is sterling. I had my last one done at a clinic... and probably will go to it again, but 10 bucks says I'll be thinking of you and your husband just before the anesthesia hits. And Joan Rivers, ofc. RIP

Five years ago, I went to the reputable Rio Lab in Guad., but I did not have a good experience. Firstly, the doctor was supposed to do a colonoscopy but ended up doing only a sigmoidoscopy, which shows only the rectum and lower part of the colon. Why? Apparently, my higher colon had a sharp angle, and it couldn’t be done safely. Strange enough, I had it done in Canada nine years before and there was no problem.

Okay, it's not an endoscopy but just the same. Those interventions are risky, therefore experience and proper instruments are crucial.

Secondly, I was put to sleep and woke up in the middle of the intervention because of pain in my abdomen. After the exam, they had to do an x-ray to make sure there was no damage.

Thirdly, they cracked my nose. Yes, my nose! There was some kind of instrument hanging above the table with an arm that they swing around. Somehow, it must have hit my nose. I had a red spot and pain. Of course, when I questioned the doctor, there was no explanation even denial. Weeks later, when the inflammation went down, I saw that my nose had been cracked and I still have the dent to prove it.

My doctor had recommended that place. Be careful with those interventions. This is serious and often they don’t have the proper, more advanced instruments.

P.S. A colonoscopy cost more than a sigmoidoscopy, but there was no refund.

Yes. This is exactly the reason why I generally don't recommend that they be done at any place other than a hospital. Even in the best of hands, there is still always the risk of a complication. Dr. Male btw probably prices his endoscopies higer than anybody else in the Guadalajara area. I have found that there are a good number of other equally qualified physicians who will do the same procedure in the same hospital(s) for about 50-60% of what he charges.

Best of luck and I hope this helps.

Archived