Chapala.com Webboard

Where to Purchase An Avocado Tree

hensley

I have one growing in my yard (it was there when we moved in and has been there a long time), but it's not hass. I WANT a hass and am interested where to get that variety. As well as a mango tree and an african tulip tree. Love both and not a one in the yard. So I'm hoping that those that answer your question, can also address mine.

I have two African tulip trees and I wish I did not. They put out more garbage ...the flowers stick to everything from cars to pathways .and make the path very slippery and dangerous, I hurt my foot twice stepping on the flowers. The seeds are awful it is like snow, goes into everything then you have the awful pods that are tough to sweep and pick up.. The trees are beautiful but boy do I wish I did not have them. I always joke with the garner who planted them in 68 that he did it to insure he would always be needed..

How patient are you? I have one of the big avocado trees that you are looking for but you will have to wait 'til next year 'cuz there's no fruit on it now.

I find the fruit from this tree to have far less flavour and a peculiar texture compared to a Hass avocado. What am I missing that you should want one so badly?

edited to add: I totally agree with bmh about the Tulip Tree...I hunted high and low on the coast 'cuz I wanted one with the yellow flowers. I got one and regretted it deeply.

Also beware of pepper trees (pirula?)...they dump more garbage than the tulip tree.

yes the pirula is really bad too.

My favorite avocados are the small ones with a very thin skin you can eat. You can also use their leaves to season dishes and it does not work with the other avocado leaves.

You can grow avocado from the stone so all you have to do is buy one avocado you like and germinate the stone.

How patient are you? I have one of the big avocado trees that you are looking for but you will have to wait 'til next year 'cuz there's no fruit on it now.

I find the fruit from this tree to have far less flavour and a peculiar texture compared to a Hass avocado. What am I missing that you should want one so badly?

edited to add: I totally agree with bmh about the Tulip Tree...I hunted high and low on the coast 'cuz I wanted one with the yellow flowers. I got one and regretted it deeply.

Also beware of pepper trees (pirula?)...they dump more garbage than the tulip tree.

I had 3 of the big Avocado trees growing down the back yard when I lived in La Floresta . They were the best Avocado;s I have ever had. The trees grow bigger than the homes and are not popular in gardens but I was a fan.

Oh they're bigger all right...three stories high.

Somebody said earlier to talk to Roberto Delgado at Chapala Tree Services and I think that's a good idea. He probably knows where to find one...I pay him to strip all the avocadoes off our tree every year...either that or the dog would be three feet wide. Even if I go out first and scout (with a flashlight)she will still find them hidden in the garden. She also jumps and picks a mandarin...then peels it, eats it and spits out the seeds.

The other thing you may want to keep in mind as your tree grows...those avocadoes are bombs that break clay tiles...which is the other reason that Roberto has to come every year and prune it back.

There are tons of types of avocados, and around here I usually see "big ones" and "normal ones". I guess Haas is the smaller variety. I seek out the larger ones when I want to do a salad presentation or something, or make a lot of guac. But I have a question: what's not to like about Haas? They all taste the same to me.

We had a large Hass avocado tree and loved it. However, it was in a lawn area which allowed the fruit to fall unharmed. We did have to compete with the critters and our dogs, but always had plenty for ourselves and neighbors.

On the other hand, we also had a large and productive mango tree but never ate any, in spite of them being sweet and delicious. It is much less expensive to buy mangoes than to have the tree sprayed at precisely the correct time to prevent worms in the fruit, which are prevalent in this area.

If I'm looking for a specific plant I go to various nurseries and show them a branch or picture of what I want. Shop around. Some nurseries like the one in San Juan Cosala and the one behind Superlake will order specific plants in for you. It only takes a few days.

You must have a large yard if you can grow an avocado and mango tree.

The yard is not that large but the avocado tree is...the lower branches are about bungalow roof height. I have a sneaking suspicion that the tree was here long before the house was.

And it's a mandarin tree not a mango tree. It's about six feet high that sits in a corner...not where I would have planted it but I rent. There are a lot of mandarins and they are very sweet...if I can get one before the dog does.

We had a large tree in Mirasol and loved the avocados on it, I picked one and took it to the vivero behind SuperLake and they said they could get me one, it has been almost a month and I think they are giving up, they can't find one.

How to I get in touch with the tree service? Wished I would have known, they were just down the street last week working.

Never thought about using the seed but I would like a bigger tree already started cause it will probably take years to produce.

We have a large yard and already have bananas, mango, limes, mandarin orange, pomegranate, and papaya trees.

We have a Hass tree and each year it seemed to produce less and less until we had Roberto trim it down. Could not believe the difference. So many more. Right now I have 14 sitting on the counter. Have given away dozens. I love them but looking for a recipe besides guacamole and throwing them into salads.

We have a Hass tree and each year it seemed to produce less and less until we had Roberto trim it down. Could not believe the difference. So many more. Right now I have 14 sitting on the counter. Have given away dozens. I love them but looking for a recipe besides guacamole and throwing them into salads.

Cold Avocado Soup: throw a couple cut-up avocados, some plain (not flavored or sugared) yogurt, some garlic, a bit of cilantro and some ice in the blender. Super delicious and really refreshing. Adjust ingredients to your liking.

Also cut an avo in half, fill hole with salmon or tuna salad.

I actually have a whole little avocado cookbook put out by California Avocados. It's ancient- the price on the cover says 50 cents. If you ever come to Sayulita, you can borrow it and photocopy it, has 46 pages. Here's one from it:

Avocado and Orange Floats- 3 avocados

3+ 3/4 cups orange juice

1/4 cup sugar

Lemon or orange sherbet

Puree avocados with orange juice and sugar; chill thoroughly. Pour into glasses. add scoops of sherbet, Serve with

straws. 6-8 servings.

Archived