Chapala.com Webboard

Driving from Nogales to Lake Chapala area in motorhome

Syver117

General tips:

Use the truck lane at toll booths, as the car lanes are narrow.

On the highway, keep to the right lane, especially on roads that have that lane intended for trucks.

Learn the signaling customs; a left signal when on a highway means “pass me“ and very slow trucks will use it.

Learn the rules about turning left & do not cross solid yellow lines.

Know that secondary roads and local streets will often not have overhead clearance you need, nor navigable corners.

Plan your route in detail, using Google street view, to be sure you can go where you wish.

Truck service is available for your diesel, etc., but there is not much in the way of RV systems parts or service.

RV parks are extremely scarse, may be closed or too small for your rig. Plan on using larger PEMEX stations or hotel parking lots, with their permission and a small fee.

There used to be more RVs traveling to Mexico, but that traffic dwindled to a trickle in recent years, but now seems to be picking up again. However, it will take some time before there are more open, or re-opened RV parks, which were always rare and tended to be concentrated on the coasts. Roca Azul, on Lake Chapala‘s west end, near Jocotopec, is still active and a nice place to stay for an extended time; especially if you have a small toad for exploring the area or other parts of Mexico, as it is a safe place to leave your rig when on such trips. Hotels/Motels in Mexico are so economical that it is wise to use them, instead of an unwieldy RV for such adventures. Besides, you can stay in “centro“ and walk to everything from a typical hotel. One caution: Traveling with pets will restrict your freedom, as they are not welcome in restaurants, hotels or stores. Mexicans just don‘t do that, and it is illegal to take them into a food preparation area. Personally, I see no advantage in caravaning. I would find it distracting to keep track of another vehicle, or to have to agree on routes, stops, etc. Just go, and enjoy it.

I said, .......“; especially if you have a small toad for exploring....“

In the RV world, a “toad“ is that small car which is towed behind the motorhome. Of course, those with fifth-wheels will have a large pick-up truck. Smaller class B or C campers sometimes carry motor scooters or bikes for limited excursions. Yes, one should have a toad with them at Roca Azul, or most any other RV park.

Archived