Chapala.com Webboard

Best Doctors and WEA Health Insurance

tbh

A couple of things, having been members of both Best Doctors and WEA.   

First, be wary of all insurance companies.   Best Doctors is basically catastrophic and very limited in disease states covered.

WEA is scaling back coverage and not as customer friendly.   Used to have direct pay contract with about 10 Guad hospitals and now down to about 3. They want you to pay out of pocket and then they might reimburse you. 

MX insurance companies can be expensive.   You pay a big co-pay for various illnesses.  Say, you have a heart attack, a car accident and a gallbladder removal.   Since they are separate disease categories, you will pay a large co-pay for each on top of your hefty premium.   Only advantage of MX insurance is if you have  multiple claims within same disease category ( i.e., cardiac), THEN you have only one co-pay for life of policy..

IMSS and Seguro Popular ---- you get what you pay for.   IMO, Seguro Popular should only be eligible for the MX population since their tax dollars are paying for it. 

Tempting to consider Medicare -- but the US Govt will screw that up sooner than later -- since entitlement programs have to get hit some day..  Several docs in States no longer having to take medicare patients. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly which tax dollars of the Mexican population are paying for Seguro Popular? I'm not sure where the funding for Seguro Popular comes from, but I am not Mexican and I pay 16% IVA on everything I buy here, own a business and pay taxes on that. Most of the Mexicans I know do not claim what they earn unless they have a visible business, and do not pay taxes on their earnings. 

15 hours ago, mexijims1 said:

A couple of things, having been members of both Best Doctors and WEA.   

First, be wary of all insurance companies.   Best Doctors is basically catastrophic and very limited in disease states covered.

WEA is scaling back coverage and not as customer friendly.   Used to have direct pay contract with about 10 Guad hospitals and now down to about 3. They want you to pay out of pocket and then they might reimburse you. 

MX insurance companies can be expensive.   You pay a big co-pay for various illnesses.  Say, you have a heart attack, a car accident and a gallbladder removal.   Since they are separate disease categories, you will pay a large co-pay for each on top of your hefty premium.   Only advantage of MX insurance is if you have  multiple claims within same disease category ( i.e., cardiac), THEN you have only one co-pay for life of policy..

IMSS and Seguro Popular ---- you get what you pay for.   IMO, Seguro Popular should only be eligible for the MX population since their tax dollars are paying for it. 

Tempting to consider Medicare -- but the US Govt will screw that up sooner than later -- since entitlement programs have to get hit some day..  Several docs in States no longer having to take medicare patients. 

Sounds like dying sooner rather than later would be the most economical choice. What's a couple of years one way or the other?

Archived