Chapala.com Webboard

Best Doctors and WEA Health Insurance

tbh

Newly arrived here and I've been interested in Best Doctors but now I see that as of July this year Boomers offers a new plan from the WEA, Worldwide Expatriate Association, in addition to Best Doctors. The WEA plan seems more comprehensive but still in the same ball park in terms of deductible and premium, it's just that the focus for each policy is different. They take new enrollees up to age 74 subject to exam and lab test results.

I talked to Ava Monday and she seems knowledgeable about US medicare and insurance here and very willing to talk to us about it. I'm still working to get more information about it but would like to know what anyone here knows or thinks about it.

For those who aren't familiar with either, the website to get you started is:

http://boomers-in-paradise.org

I've read all the past postings mentioning WEA but no one seems to say much about it.

Thanks

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried calling about a month ago many times and no answer. I guess they are not very interested in selling policies.

Ava said that Valerie Friesen at Blue Angel is an agent for it. She would be another source of information. I haven't talked with Valerie but I will try today.

I tried calling about a month ago many times and no answer. I guess they are not very interested in selling policies.

Not sure who you tried to call - try these: Valerie Friesen 376-766-0547 or 331-456-4717

Ava from Boomers-in-Paradise 376-106-0900

We purchased the Best Doctors policy when it was first available and recently moved up to the WEA policy. Fortunately we haven't had to make a claim on either policy.

Read these policies VERY carefully. I was considering Best Doctors until I learned that it really covers only about 15 things. My current policy covers over 33,000. Best Dr. is good for some people especially those beyond the age that most insurance companies write coverage or those who are OK with being covered for only 15 issues. A friend had cancer treatment at an outpatient clinic, the insurance didn't pay because it paid only for procedures done in a hospital. Read the policy!

Read these policies VERY carefully. I was considering Best Doctors until I learned that it really covers only about 15 things. My current policy covers over 33,000. Best Dr. is good for some people especially those beyond the age that most insurance companies write coverage or those who are OK with being covered for only 15 issues. A friend had cancer treatment at an outpatient clinic, the insurance didn't pay because it paid only for procedures done in a hospital. Read the policy!

And your "current policy" would be....? And annually costs approximately....?

I called both Ava and Valerie this afternoon and I had no trouble reaching either one. Valerie did tell me that if someone calls her when she is on the phone she is not aware of the call and it doesn't go to voicemail; she didn't specify land or cell.

Yes, Best Doctors is very specific about what it covers but it is spelled out pretty clearly in the information. The WEA plan has a scope much different from Best Doctors and the Boomers website and FAQ does a pretty decent job of comparing the two, both in similarities and differences. I like the broader coverage of the WEA plan with its palatable deductible to supplement my medicare in the US. We can pay out of pocket for the lesser amounts but need protection from the big hit from an unexpected event that needs expensive treatment right away. This would protect our nest egg as well as our health.

As noted in earlier threads the litmus test is how well they service their claims. I've read several posts here from patients and doctors, Al's today being the most recent, that give Best Doctors good marks for covered procedures. Unfortunately, since WEA is new in Lakeside we don't have much to look at regarding the claims history. However, WEA has been around for 50 years (1965), is 100% reinsured by Lloyd's of London, and the parent company of WEA, the Premier Assurance Group, claims to be in 195 countries worldwide. That's all I know.

Last thing, as pointed out by one of the other agents here in Lakeside, when we're over 70 simply being able to get new coverage is a plus. But it still has to cover something!

And your "current policy" would be....? And annually costs approximately....?

Allianz. My costs are not public information. Besides, the info would be meaningless unless you knew my age and conditions. I will tell you this; it has no upper limit and is non-cancelable. The Allianz rep is Jesus Tejeda, he can give you a quote.

Allianz. My costs are not public information. Besides, the info would be meaningless unless you knew my age and conditions. I will tell you this; it has no upper limit and is non-cancelable. The Allianz rep is Jesus Tejeda, he can give you a quote.

Gracias. Didn't mean to pry, I was just curious about the range relative to Best Doctors. I know that any policy that covers so many more disease states, has no upper limit, and can not be cancelled will not be comparable in price to the catastrophic policies where people are mostly "self-insured." I will contact Jesus and see what it would cost each of us.

Again gracias.

What is the premium and deductible for WEA? I am assuming it is also a Boomers group plan and should be the same for everyone. Would be interested in comparing price with Best Doctors to see if it might be a viable option for me to explore further. Thanks.

In a nutshell, in USD:

Best Doctors

Benefit per year $750,000

Deductible/yr. 3,500

Premium/yr. 1,268

WEA

Benefit per lifetime $2,000,000

Deductible/yr 2,500

Premium/yr. 1,357

Both plans accept new enrollees until age 74 years, 11 months -- physical exam and lab tests required.

The Boomers website that I linked to in my OP has a pretty good overview of both plans. If you scroll down about a page you'll see the two red links, one to each plan. Also, the FAQ explains the similarities and differences of some key aspects of the plans. Again, WEA is more comprehensive in range of benefits and Ava said she expected many of the Best Doctors enrollees to transfer to WEA.

Just renewed with GNP, largest health ins. Company in Mexico, thru Bellon. Premium is 21,700 pesos. No protests required. Very good coverage. Just changed from MetLife as GNP offers better coverage for less money. You may want to check into it. Better coverage than Best Doctors for the same premium cost.

Just renewed with GNP, largest health ins. Company in Mexico, thru Bellon. Premium is 21,700 pesos. No protests required. Very good coverage. Just changed from MetLife as GNP offers better coverage for less money. You may want to check into it. Better coverage than Best Doctors for the same premium cost.

Are there any age requirements for new enrollees?

Thanks, tbh. Appreciate your info. Guess I need to investigate further as my Best Doctors deductible with the Focus plan is currently 3900 USD, up from 3000 last year and probably another hike in June when Focus group renews. Coverages between Focus and Boomers is similar, but not identical as each group negotiates separately prior to annual renewal.

Also, hope DAJ answers your age question since I will turn 72 soon and it is slim pickings for us 70 and above.

Important correction GNP cutoff age is before 64 - no exceptions. They raised the premium by 16%, no explanations, no apologies. At that rate your annual premium will be double in about 5 more years. Focus Group/Best Doctors raised their annual premium and deductable by 25%. at that rate everything will be double in 3 more years. WEA is saying their increase will typically be under 6 to 8 %, but this is precisely what GNP and Focus Group said. In the meantime, Social Security in the U.S.A. is saying there will be no increase in payment amount because there was 0 percent inflation.

I guess there is no free lunch when it comes to Medical Insurance...

It is a no brainier to expect a group policy premium, fully of old and hi risk customers, to start with a low premium and then to rise accordingly with the significant frequency of payout's.

In order for any premiums to stay "reasonable" there has to be more younger folks enrolled, period.

Important correction GNP cutoff age is before 64 - no exceptions. They raised the premium by 16%, no explanations, no apologies. At that rate your annual premium will be double in about 5 more years. Focus Group/Best Doctors raised their annual premium and deductable by 25%. at that rate everything will be double in 3 more years. WEA is saying their increase will typically be under 6 to 8 %, but this is precisely what GNP and Focus Group said. In the meantime, Social Security in the U.S.A. is saying there will be no increase in payment amount because there was 0 percent inflation.

Lakeside7

I guess there is no free lunch when it comes to Medical Insurance...

It is a no brainier to expect a group policy premium, fully of old and hi risk customers, to start with a low premium and then to rise accordingly with the significant frequency of payout's.

In order for any premiums to stay "reasonable" there has to be more younger folks enrolled, period.

It seems that WEA has a worldwide presence insuring university students in the Caribbean, and volunteers, business people and retirees in 45 countries. That is how they explained the pool and how WEA manages to keep increases to a minimum.

I continue to try to get more information about the company and I found a website of an intermediary that uses WEA as one of their insurers. It has two video interviews with WEA reps. It's a PR/marketing website, so keep that in mind, but it does provide some information and a little more perspective regarding the worldwide presence of the company. Again, it's marketing.

https://www.gninsurance.com/international-insurance-plans-listed-company-name/like-wea-overseas-insurance-needs/

Remember here in Mexico your agent is very important to us gringos. You need an agENT who will help you with the process when you need it. Andre at Bellon will meet you at the hospital on checkin and checkout to make sure the insurance is processed correctly. He has even offered to meet us at the hospital and help us with my husband needs and my husband is uninsurable due to age and pre-existing illness. Your agent is very important. I have heard stories of agents who are of no help once they sell the policy

Archived