Chapala.com Webboard

tunisian food

the walkers

went to the monday market in san antonio today and noticed some new vendors. we weren't familiar with the foods,so we asked what they were and where they came from....this nice couple, he from britain and she from tunisia, have made a lovely display of tunisian finger foods. we bought something called taijin which was kinda like a spanish tortilla or french quiche with the crust, made with potato, egg, chicken,cheese and spices. she also had something called frissee which was a mini sandwich with tuna and olives and cheese. they also had some springroll looking items, desserts and salads. we welcome them and wish them luck at lakeside with their unique products...

So, the Monday market is in San Antonio, and the Wednesday market is in/near Florista. Where is the Tuesday market? Is that the organic market West Ajijic? and

what market do I visit during the latter part of the week for fresh things? Can't wait to get to Lakeside. One more month for at least 2 weeks then a move in maybe another 8 months from there. Hope the Tunisian food vendor is still present, as I have lived in North Africa and enjoy their food. Just give me general directions and times for markets. I am pretty resourceful at finding things. Have a notebook of various recommendations for services, etc.

So, the Monday market is in San Antonio, and the Wednesday market is in/near Florista. Where is the Tuesday market? Is that the organic market West Ajijic? and

what market do I visit during the latter part of the week for fresh things? Can't wait to get to Lakeside. One more month for at least 2 weeks then a move in maybe another 8 months from there. Hope the Tunisian food vendor is still present, as I have lived in North Africa and enjoy their food. Just give me general directions and times for markets. I am pretty resourceful at finding things. Have a notebook of various recommendations for services, etc.

--------------------------

You've got it pretty good, but just to be a little more specific for your notebook.

Wed market (tianguis)...east Ajijic, on the street that divides it from La Floresta...calle Revolucion. Tues market....west Ajijic or the fracc. Rancho del Oro, on the Carretera, south side.

All week....well there is the central market on the plaza in Chapala or the many supermarkets and small tiendas or abarrotes that are open on a daily basis.

Thanks for the info. I'll update my notebook. I am pretty familiar with the area, but it has been 9 years since my last visit! Things seem to have changed so much. Wal Mart? Dominoes Pizza? Subway? How many others. I always look forward to the fresh markets and cooking "close to the ground" when I am lakeside. My

favorite restaurant is gone along with the marvelous guitarist, Roberto Cerdo, but I have a recording. He now has a guest house in another area, so maybe later we

can visit there.

Thanks for the info. I'll update my notebook. I am pretty familiar with the area, but it has been 9 years since my last visit! Things seem to have changed so much. Wal Mart? Dominoes Pizza? Subway? How many others. I always look forward to the fresh markets and cooking "close to the ground" when I am lakeside. My

favorite restaurant is gone along with the marvelous guitarist, Roberto Cerdo, but I have a recording. He now has a guest house in another area, so maybe later we

can visit there.

The perfect excuse for a trip to Manzanillo...... :)

The street is one street east of the lights at SuperLake: Gonzalez Gallo. Turn down there and it's a half-block on your left. There is street parking and two marked parking lots. It's going on now; not sure when it shuts down, but fairly early.

The street that the traffic lights are on just east of SuperLake, is Gonzalez Gallo. Turn down there and it's a half-block on your left. There is street parking and two marked parking lots. It's going on now; not sure when it shuts down, but fairly early.

The street just east of SuperLake with the traffic lights is Independencia, which is one way north. Gonzalez Gallo is the second street east, one way south, no traffic light.

Yes, but that's a local market, a larger version of our own Wednesday tianguis in Ajijic, for fruit and veg, flowers, and non-food stuff. The so-called Monday and Tuesday markets are mostly food items, and prepared food, with a lot of expats among the vendors.

Archived