Chapala.com Webboard

maple syrup

horses

Costco seems to carry it seasonally. Not quite clear on what or when the maple syrup season is myself .

Maple syrup season is in the early spring . When it starts getting warm enough for the sap in the trees to run the season starts.

It was always fun to go out and collect the sap to make the syrup it was a sure indication that summer was not far away.

Maple syrup season is in the early spring . When it starts getting warm enough for the sap in the trees to run the season starts.

It was always fun to go out and collect the sap to make the syrup it was a sure indication that summer was not far away.

Ah. Knew it was something like that. I'm from more of a "Surf's Up" area.

Yes, maple syrup season is late spring, but CostCo shipments from Quebec take several months after that. It's still listed on the Lakeside Express site for ordering, but that is not always up-to-date.

http://lakesideexpress.com/costco/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_54_55&products_id=3275

Well Sue and Ferret you must be among the few who know what maple syrup should be like. Certainly not like the watery imitation Costco sells. No reflection on Costco it is just what the demand for greater profits has done to this wonderful product. Too bad everyone could not have enjoyed a " sugaring off" in a Quebec wood lot. Those were the days,hey?

Costco still had Kirkland brand (Canadian) maple syrup when we were there in early October. (Lopez Mateos store)

I missed it. In September and the first Monday in October that Costco didn't have it (the other Costco didn't have it in September twice also). They don't have it today also but Sam's Club does have it today-two brands.

Well Sue and Ferret you must be among the few who know what maple syrup should be like. Certainly not like the watery imitation Costco sells. No reflection on Costco it is just what the demand for greater profits has done to this wonderful product. Too bad everyone could not have enjoyed a " sugaring off" in a Quebec wood lot. Those were the days,hey?

I enjoyed it in Ontario not Quebec. we taped our own trees and made enough for the following mornings pancakes. It was one of the things we enjoyed as children before TV took over. By the time I had kids we were going to the sugar bush once a year still fun and yes the maple syrup from home is thicker and far better, but one takes what one can get My dad would go every year long after we were gone and every year he would give me 5 gallons for my birthday. I would freeze it in smaller jars and have syrup for months.

Really, though, there are grades of maple syrup. Canada and the U.S. use slightly different grading systems, and they go from different categories through different colours. They are confusing and differ, as well, between the Federal government and the provinces in Canada. Generally speaking, the lighter grades are more subtle in flavour, while the darker colours are more suited to pancakes (for example). Whatever you grew up on in maple syrup country is probably what you think is "best". (In fact, they don't use the high-end stuff when making sticky snow treats at the sugar bush.)

The stuff that CostCo carries is less expensive, and that is a good thing for my pocket book. It tastes perfectly good and is thick enough for me. It is classified as Grade A Dark Amber (U.S. system).

OK. I see.

I have always hated cooked carrots of any kind since I find them way too sweet on their own….so adding butter and maple syrup probably won't help me on that score. I can sort of understand a "candy thing", but…I'm definitely not going to bother doing it. I guess that leaves available more better, true Maple Syrup for the real aficionados. Everybody wins! :)

¡Provechito!

OK. I see.

I have always hated cooked carrots of any kind since I find them way too sweet on their own….so adding butter and maple syrup probably won't help me on that score. I can sort of understand a "candy thing", but…I'm definitely not going to bother doing it. I guess that leaves available more better, true Maple Syrup for the real aficionados. Everybody wins! :)

¡Provechito!

Your mileage will vary with genuine maple syrup. As Computer guy said, the good stuff is subtle (i.e. not so much flavor). It's not what you're used to if you like good old phony baloney Butterworth's and think the real thing will be richer and ummm.. more something. There's probably a holy grail of maple syrups, but I haven't found it. None of it is lousy. Just not "wow!!" worthy. Maybe if you've been raised on the real stuff, it's great just because it's the real deal.

Anyway, enjoy your Butterworth or Aunt Jemima's imitation whatever. Unless you're using awful Mexican brands, Cara?, you aren't necessarily missing that much. Having said that, I do use Kirkland Maple Syrup, just to make double sure that I'm not missing something. :)

Archived