Chapala.com Webboard

patchup for ceramic pots?

bdmowers

Anyone know of something you can patch up the places on ceramic pots where the ceramic layer has worn off?

Anyone know of something you can patch up the places on ceramic pots where the ceramic layer has worn off?

I've done this with Mexican decorative glazed plates (not for dishwasher) where the paint was chipped off: Prime spot with white acrylic; paint color to match on this; cover with heavy clear waterproof acrylic glaze. Good luck.

You could also buy some auto body filler, sand it out, then dab with auto touchup paint from a car dealer or maybe a body shop can mix you a small amount. If this is a hertiage or valuable piece, there is a whole other technique involving a lot of specialty chemicals. It is most often called cold glazing or invisible repair.

These are common metal pots covered with ceramic for cooking. I just don`t want to throw them out if they can be repaired. Chillin, can the auto body filler (fiberglas?) be put on a stove?

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately, Amazon US won`t ship to Mexico and the same product on Amazon Mexico is $1,200 pesos! Local Home Depot doesn´t have it.

That is unfortunate. You will have to use a customs carrier like Estafeta U.S.A. or Red Pack. They will give you a dropoff address in Laredo, clear Mexican Customs, and deliver to any address in Mexico. You will have to pay 16% IVA tax, $6.75 (U.S.) for customs clearance, shipping costs in Mexico, and if you are using a local dropoff address, there is a $2 U.S. fee for that. The only warnings I have is that it will take at least a few days more than what they say, and if using a local box they are unlikely to phone you when the package arrives.

High temperature epoxy putties are rather exotic. I have a large collection of pigments and dyes, so matching a color should not be a problem. You just mix a bit of pigment into the putty.

• 2 weeks later...

Chillin, do you have to apply the epoxy you mentioned at high temperatures? Or does it achieve high temps by itself?

It is usually a two part putty, mix as per their instructions. It usually hardens to light grey, once they cure, they work as advertised. The point is that it might leach toxic materials if used in cookware on the inside of the pot, but outside should be O.K.. One reason that I retired early was because I became "sensitized" - highly allergic - to epoxies. But then there epoxies which are used in dental work, so who knows. I have been assuming you mean those metal ceramic coated pots like Crueset. Maybe they can be refired in a kiln with low temperature glaze repairs. There is a ceramicist from Alaska, Steve Weckel, he also teaches here. I will private email his email address.

Archived