Chapala.com Webboard

Backyard Chicken Source?

Teach

if it's illegal to have chickens they're gonna have to lock up half the damned town. Plenty of chickens running around loose and in yards in Chapala and Riberas..don't know about the other towns. I kept several hens in my yard while living in both but now live in the country.

I bought my mongrel hens at the animal store on Madero near Soriana.

There is a pet store in Chapala on Zaragoza that specializes in birds, including chickens. According to a friend he is the best source for chickens. I am not sure of the cross street but just go down Moreles and turn left on Zaragoza. There is a church on the corner and the store is across the street. There are always bird cages out on the curb when it is open. You can't miss it.

No I had no luck with the previous post. Lots of suggestions but nothing that panned our re the breed specific stuff. So curious Don Anomino...... are you the posting police or what? Why would you bring that up? Do you think that if I received the information I was looking for that I would post again just to waste peoples time? What? And you needed to remind me what I previously posted why? And why would you even check to see what I posted in the past to begin with? Sounds like you are just looking for confrontation. Don't need it, thanks.

I've checked the store on Zaragoza and if you are looking for run of the mill non breed specific stuff he might be able to help but when I asked for a specific breed all I got was a blank stare. Said he'd enquire but when I returned once, twice, thrice again it was "manana".

Tried the market places and again no guarantee what you are going to get with the baby chicks offered there. They could be layers or meat birds and you would not know the difference from the looks of the chicks. The Australian Black Australorps are a dual purpose breed. Dual purpose breed's carcasses have use after the productive life of the bird has come to an end......ie food. Layers don't have enough meat on them to justify the effort of butchering them.

Tried asking the locals for sources and although they know of lots of chicks for sale, you have no ideal what you are getting without being breed specific.

I'm looking for a retailer or agent for a hatchery that offers Black Australorps or any source for "Dual Purpose" birds with the Australorps being the number one choice as they are the BEST laying dual purpose birds available. I will consider other varieties but they must be true dual purpose birds.

If you have information that can actually help me find a source for these types of birds I would really really appreciate hearing your input.

If you just want to tell me what I've posted in the past........nah, don't need to hear from ya.

Thanks

the pet store in Chapala sold me 5 chicks, potential laying hens, which I patiently waited to grow and start laying. 5 months later they began to crow. I'll never trust him again.

Ask the lady who sells organic eggs when you first walk into the organic Tuesday market, where to get some laying hens. Walk in the entrance and turn left. She also sells organic beef, chicken and goat cheese I just heard there's another organic market that'll be opening tomorrow in the nursery next to Tobolandia 10:30-2:30, there may be a lead in there.

I had a terrible time finding laying hens. When I finally got a couple of really good ones, I'd gone on an adventure and literally bought them from a crazy man in Ixtlauhuacan after he got them out of his trees. bwahahaha They were American Game and they are excellent layers. They're also very sweet.

Teach:

Very sorry. Not looking for confrontation at all.

I'm interested in trying to raise backyard chickens myself, and from your description of Black Australorps they sound like the ideal chicken to keep for both eggs and meat. I was simply curious if the sources mentioned in the thread that included your previous post panned out. Apparently not.

If you are ever able to find Black Australorps locally (or anywhere in western Mexico), I do hope you will post your source here.

Apologies again,

-- Don

No I had no luck with the previous post. Lots of suggestions but nothing that panned our re the breed specific stuff. So curious Don Anomino...... are you the posting police or what? Why would you bring that up? Do you think that if I received the information I was looking for that I would post again just to waste peoples time? What? And you needed to remind me what I previously posted why? And why would you even check to see what I posted in the past to begin with? Sounds like you are just looking for confrontation. Don't need it, thanks.

I've checked the store on Zaragoza and if you are looking for run of the mill non breed specific stuff he might be able to help but when I asked for a specific breed all I got was a blank stare. Said he'd enquire but when I returned once, twice, thrice again it was "manana".

Tried the market places and again no guarantee what you are going to get with the baby chicks offered there. They could be layers or meat birds and you would not know the difference from the looks of the chicks. The Australian Black Australorps are a dual purpose breed. Dual purpose breed's carcasses have use after the productive life of the bird has come to an end......ie food. Layers don't have enough meat on them to justify the effort of butchering them.

Tried asking the locals for sources and although they know of lots of chicks for sale, you have no ideal what you are getting without being breed specific.

I'm looking for a retailer or agent for a hatchery that offers Black Australorps or any source for "Dual Purpose" birds with the Australorps being the number one choice as they are the BEST laying dual purpose birds available. I will consider other varieties but they must be true dual purpose birds.

If you have information that can actually help me find a source for these types of birds I would really really appreciate hearing your input.

If you just want to tell me what I've posted in the past........nah, don't need to hear from ya.

Thanks

"Confrontational", are you kidding? Talk about projection...........

I did search for you but didn't find much in Mexico. This website may be able to help since they are a source in the U.S. and may be able to put you in contact with someone in Mexico who has bought from them or, perhaps, breeds them...just a thought.

https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/black_australorps.html

the pet store in Chapala sold me 5 chicks, potential laying hens, which I patiently waited to grow and start laying. 5 months later they began to crow. I'll never trust him again.

Ask the lady who sells organic eggs when you first walk into the organic Tuesday market, where to get some laying hens. Walk in the entrance and turn left. She also sells organic beef, chicken and goat cheese I just heard there's another organic market that'll be opening tomorrow in the nursery next to Tobolandia 10:30-2:30, there may be a lead in there.

I had a terrible time finding laying hens. When I finally got a couple of really good ones, I'd gone on an adventure and literally bought them from a crazy man in Ixtlauhuacan after he got them out of his trees. bwahahaha They were American Game and they are excellent layers. They're also very sweet.

Haha, that's funny. Well they are birds after all. Makes sense they'd take to the trees for safety. As for the pet store in Chapala, I share your sentiments. Typical scenario down here where he is doing what he can to make a buck with no real knowledge of the subject......but hey, can't fault him for that. Just have to find a better supplier. But as I stipulated earlier I'm looking for "Dual Purpose" birds....not layers. I'd settle for Rhode Island Reds in a few months if I can't find the Australorps.

I did search for you but didn't find much in Mexico. This website may be able to help since they are a source in the U.S. and may be able to put you in contact with someone in Mexico who has bought from them or, perhaps, breeds them...just a thought.

https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/black_australorps.html

Thanks for the effort. I'm very familiar with Murray McMurray Hatchery. They are the premier place to order from for the backyard grower or farmer alike but they normally don't ship into Mexico as they can not be sure of the order actually being allowed into the country by customs. At least that's what they told me on the phone when I enquired last year. I'm sure it's hard enough keeping up with the changing rules and regs of the USA much less trying to stay on top of what's changing in another country with a different language. I understand their plight. I asked that question too about putting me in touch with any customers etc. and they don't divulge their clients because of a privacy issue. So the search continues. At least now I have a couple leads to follow up on.

I checked MercadoLibra Aves. http://listado.mercadolibre.com.mx/aves/

Search on black australorps produced nothing, but there are a lot of chickens there. Way more than I was interested in sorting through, but if you can't find what you're looking for locally, maybe it's a possibility.

Sea, I have tried here before and found nothing. But with that said it will probably be a good bet later on at a different time if there is a smaller breeder who only has babies once or twice a year. May have to keep going back on a regular basis. Thank you for your effort.

They do sell Rhode Island Reds here in Mexico but I don't know where. The year I had laying hens, was the year there was a school project for the children with chicks. After the project was over, the little chicks went to the garden "center" behind Super Lake. She had so many of them that when I asked her where she got them, she gave me one. It was a beautiful hen. One day I opened the front door to find my young boxer pup with the Red's leg/foot hanging out of his mouth. One of the funniest things to see but very sad for the hen. The American Game flew over the fence. One little lady came back to see me periodically in the evenings. The last time I saw her she brought me one of her chicks to see. After that the rainy season began and I never saw them again. I think she would have liked to have come home but the dogs kept her out.

The only other lead I could possibly give you is to talk to Nahum at Hope House. At one time they had a project for dual birds which later fizzled because it costs so much to feed them. They had the kind that were good eating.

I hope you live in the country, I think it is illegal to have them in towns Lakeside My neidhbors had some and they had to get rid of them or be fined, so we had a big chicken fry

Illegal? Are you kidding? Where did these people live? Maybe they lived in a Fracc with those north American type restrictions on your freedom.

The only other lead I could possibly give you is to talk to Nahum at Hope House. At one time they had a project for dual birds which later fizzled because it costs so much to feed them. They had the kind that were good eating.

I'm not familiar with Hope House or what they do. For me personally I prefer the meat of any dual purpose bird over a meat bird. Meat birds tend to just sit around and get fat for six to eight weeks until they are killed providing they don't die of a heart attack first which is very common with them.....the body grows so fast that the heart can not keep up with the rapid growth. Where as dual purpose birds love to forage for live food like worms and insects of all kinds and other things like mycelium from mushrooms and therefor are more active giving their meat much better muscle tone. The texture and flavour are superior with dual purpose birds under one year of age. But they earn their keep when fed all the yard waste and quickly scratch it up, mixing in dirt and fecal matter for a quickly decomposing natural fertiliser. Goes in garbage, comes out gold.

I hope you live in the country, I think it is illegal to have them in towns Lakeside My neidhbors had some and they had to get rid of them or be fined, so we had a big chicken fry

Yeah I highly doubt there being any illegality but perhaps in a frac where the rules state they cannot have them but even that is doubtful. Even places like Vista Del Lago allows hens. Practically every second one of my neighbours all have at least two hens in the back yard. Good luck trying to tell a Mexican he doesn't have the right to keep a chicken in his own yard.

Archived