Chapala.com Webboard

After The Storm

Floradude

As the ghost of Patricia moves northeast across Mexico hopefully some of the rain she is

dropping will end up in the Lake Chapala watershed.

As the rivers deliver this water to the lake, plus our local rainfall (4.3 inches at my house), it will

be interesting to watch the level of the lake for the next week.

Now the repair of the real damage, especially Puerto Vallarta. and the Jalisco coast. That damage is the image of tourists evacuating hotels, that hurricanes can be a factor in their vacation plans in this part of the world. Many will now not book in the "hurricane season", which I believe is until the end of November. Many tourists have already avoided the Cancun corridor for this very reason. This is already coupled with the erratic weather (cold, wet or unseasonally hot) of the last couple of Puerto Vallartan winters. A lot of people say they are not returning - international vacation time is extremely valuable to those who can still afford it - the number one thing they demand is reliably nice weather.

I read a newspaper interview yesterday, by those officials preparing for Patricia. The funny part was the Director of Tourism telling everyone that they should proceed full speed in preparing for the storm, and protecting their businesses, but that there were 11,000 tourists in town (including 1,000 from Britain - I don't know why he included that) and that people should be extremely careful about passing on information. So if a tourist asks "Why are you nailing plywood to your storefront" I guess they have to come up with any excuse other than the truth! Monty Python (dead parrot) humor at its best.

We are lucky the high speed area around the eye was much smaller than normal. This may explain the limited damage compared to the size of the storm. Still plenty of water and moderate wind but the high speed winds were close to the eye. We still have much road damage due to flooding and slides.

If Conagua would allow the lake to fill and flow out the Rio Santiago once again, the lake would start to cleanse itself. Both the lirio and the heavy metals would be gone.

Absolutely correct. How high would the lake have to get for the Rio Santiago to start flowing again?

Here on the coast in Bucerias just north of PV we only had maybe 2in of rain and no wind.I don`t think the tourist image will be too good in the fact that they bused out 10,00 tourists from PV to Gdl.Gdl got hit worse than PV.I know, better safe than sorry.I sure do feel for all the people in Sparks neck of the woods.They all took the brunt of the storm

La Aurora, I do not know where you get the info that GDL got hit more than PV...

GDL only got a little steady rain, non wind, and electric was no problem .

Taco venders were on the streets as usual.

The Media and Politicians hyped the wind velocity , when the Mountains always

dissipate. Rain is hard to predict, GDL was out of Patricia's Path. Texas is getting more

rain than Mexico. I lived in New Orleans for many years, and the "French Quarter" would have stayed open

Now the repair of the real damage, especially Puerto Vallarta. and the Jalisco coast. That damage is the image of tourists evacuating hotels, that hurricanes can be a factor in their vacation plans in this part of the world. Many will now not book in the "hurricane season", which I believe is until the end of November. Many tourists have already avoided the Cancun corridor for this very reason. ...

I read a newspaper interview yesterday, by those officials preparing for Patricia. The funny part was the Director of Tourism telling everyone that they should proceed full speed in preparing for the storm, and protecting their businesses, but that there were 11,000 tourists in town (including 1,000 from Britain - I don't know why he included that) and that people should be extremely careful about passing on information. So if a tourist asks "Why are you nailing plywood to your storefront" I guess they have to come up with any excuse other than the truth! Monty Python (dead parrot) humor at its best.

"Many will now not book in the "hurricane season", which I believe is until the end of November. Many tourists have already avoided the Cancun corridor for this very reason."

The Secretariat of tourism of Quintana Roo announced 4 days ago that the Cancun International Airport has recorded an increase in the influx of visitors. They report that bookings confirm that this increase in visitors will continue through the tourist "boom" from November through December.

"... people should be extremely careful about passing on (false) information. "

I'm laughing because if the PV Director of Tourism said there were 11,000 tourists in town, and 10,000 were were bussed out, leaving 1,000 behind, the same number as the number of Brits in town - maybe they left the Brits behind! Or they all called their ex-Brit Vallarta expert JR, who told them to stay, and grab a beer instead. The 10,000 must have included a lot in Nayarit, which the Director for Puerto Vallarta did not include.

Now the repair of the real damage, especially Puerto Vallarta. and the Jalisco coast. That damage is the image of tourists evacuating hotels, that hurricanes can be a factor in their vacation plans in this part of the world. Many will now not book in the "hurricane season", which I believe is until the end of November. Many tourists have already avoided the Cancun corridor for this very reason. This is already coupled with the erratic weather (cold, wet or unseasonally hot) of the last couple of Puerto Vallartan winters. A lot of people say they are not returning - international vacation time is extremely valuable to those who can still afford it - the number one thing they demand is reliably nice weather.

A large portion of Vallarta's tourists come here to escape the weather where they live, not so much because winters here are "perfect". The same reason they come to Lake Chapals, the weather there in the winter is certainly not perfect but usually a heck of a lot better than say Canada or the northern USA. Nuevo probably gets more folks for the weather and beaches but PV itself seems to rely on longer term visitors who are interested in the artsy, theater, and restaurant scene. Thompson Air brings that plane load of Brits in every week and I suspect few of them complain about the weather based on where they live.

. . . Many tourists have already avoided the Cancun corridor for this very reason. This is already coupled with the erratic weather (cold, wet or unseasonally hot) of the last couple of Puerto Vallartan winters. A lot of people say they are not returning - international vacation time is extremely valuable to those who can still afford it - the number one thing they demand is reliably nice weather.

. . .

The amount of tourists in PV right now did not seem to reflect this.

If that'd be the case, none of the Caribbeans Islands would get tourists as their hurricane season is the same as Mexico. Those who fear hurricanes simply postpone their holidays. They come between December and end of April.

IF there are heavy metals in the lake they are in the mud on the bottom, and water flowing out the other end of the lake from where they entered would not contain the heavy metals.

Heavy metals and other pollutants are in solution and found up to about the 30% full level of the lake. If Conagua let the lake get that low, Guadalajara would be pumping them into its water supply. Removing heavy metals requires reverse osmosis, which is very expensive, and Guadalajara does not have that equipment.

Interesting. Where does this information come from.

Over the years we have been told that the only fish in the lake to worry about eating (heavy metals) are the bottom feeders.

If 1/3 of the lake water was contaminated with heavy metals would that not be a problem for all the fish?

I am just curious for scientific reasons. I am not directly knowledgeable in this subject but depend on the expertise of others.

Archived