Chapala.com Webboard

Telecable bought out by Izzi Telecom

Intercasa

Telecable service has been getting worse and worse. We even filed a complaint today in PROFECO against them. Their local office has no manager and the send button doesnt work to send complaints on their web page. I went to pay by bill for service in Guadalajara in Zapopan and all Telecable signs were down and now they are Izzi Telecom. They have been laying new fiber optic cabling here in Guadalajara, hopefully things will improve soon in Chapala. The representative said the new owner is investing alot, looks like they have good prices.

https://www.izzi.mx/home

Not soon but eventually. Most of the wire is already hung but moving everything over takes time. If you look at the wire you will see breaks and that where the breakout boxes will be installed. Seen a few new boxes installed on Zaragoza. Wire is silver about the size of a big finger.

Spencer -- I sure hope when you went to Profeco (thank you for that) you included the terrible service on channels 84-87 inclusive --- never on in the morning (so CBS Sunday Morning not available) and out every time seven drops of rain fall!

We like having Telecable because we want to see Mx news (6 - 19- 52 etc) but not having the CBS / NBC / ABC service on a regular basis is getting pretty annoying.

By the way, tried the link you showed (to izzi) and my computer immediately said the site was a threat. Anyone else experience this?

My client had an issue with service, not fixing it and not getting the static IP address she was paying for. I will probably present my own personal complaint as I pay for 10mb speeds and get under 1mb consistently since January. Good thing I have Telmex as a backup although hopefully in the future if they invest in their infrastructure they will be able to offer competition with better service and lower prices for packages.

Spencer -- I sure hope when you went to Profeco (thank you for that) you included the terrible service on channels 84-87 inclusive --- never on in the morning (so CBS Sunday Morning not available) and out every time seven drops of rain fall!

We like having Telecable because we want to see Mx news (6 - 19- 52 etc) but not having the CBS / NBC / ABC service on a regular basis is getting pretty annoying.

By the way, tried the link you showed (to izzi) and my computer immediately said the site was a threat. Anyone else experience this?

You cant complain about those foreign channels as per law telecable is not even allowed to pass those channels through. The only thing what will happen if you complain to the profeco about those channels is they will shut down those channel permanently, so I don't think it is a good idea to go to the profeco to complain about those channels.

I have no problems entering that site. To get Izzi you must make a new contract with Izzi otherwise you will continue with the telecable service. However, I'm not sure if Izzi will have those foreign channels. So be sure to inform well whether or not to change to Izzi.

You cant complain about those foreign channels as per law telecable is not even allowed to pass those channels through. The only thing what will happen if you complain to the profeco about those channels is they will shut down those channel permanently, so I don't think it is a good idea to go to the profeco to complain about those channels.

I have no problems entering that site. To get Izzi you must make a new contract with Izzi otherwise you will continue with the telecable service. However, I'm not sure if Izzi will have those foreign channels. So be sure to inform well whether or not to change to Izzi.

Right, they are pirating those channels from Dish and the simplest way for them to repair it is to discontinue the service.

Telecable already has about the largest antenna available. The problem is that Dish moved the satellite signal to stop people from receiving it in Western Mexico. The signal is clearer in Eastern Mexico.

I'm sure after a few complaints the new owner will stop the service.

There are many folks here who only have Telecable because of the ability to get 84-87 in English and should that change most of us will no longer see the need for Tele-Izzy whatever so they can say goodbye to several thousand customers. I have been to the Riberas office several times lately to complain and the last time I was there I asked when my discount would begin since I am not getting all that I pay for. All I got was a blank stare and a shrug of the shoulders. The local employees obviously have no control over these issues and I'm sure they feel bad but unless people complain nothing will change.

WAIT A MINUTE HERE!! When I paid (14 months for 12) in September, they ASSURED me there was no problem with "the change". Now you have me really worried as they also said "no refunds"...........

Advice Spencer, or anyone who knows?

They don't care and the new owners certainly will not think it is worth installing new equipment to keep us as customers. Maybe they will, but I wouldn't count on it.

Dish moved the satellite. A few years ago we could easily get the signal with a 3'-5 ' antenna. Telecable has a 12' and the signal fades if there is any bad weather or clouds. The antenna could be getting warped of it needs new LBNs. Improving the signal won't be that easy. It is caused by Dish Network. It is illegal for Dish or Direct to broadcast in Mexico. That is why Dish lost a lawsuit here and the reason they moved the satellite.

I thought Telecable had the 2.4 meter Ku dish lakeside, the biggest normally available. Me? I like Shaw because I get my Seattle stations. Oh and in Seattle in my condo I had a choice between DirecTV or Comcast Cable, I chose DirecTV and rented an extra satellite receiver and using one 2.4 meter Ku dish and three LNBs each pointed at a different satellite get most of the HD channels (not to include my local network channels) that I pay for up north in Ajijic. But like dish, when the signals are weak because of rain etc I loose the signal.

They might have, I've never looked at it but I know it is one of the largest. I'm sure when it comes to splitting the signal for hundreds of viewers the already weak signal gets impossible to view.

Whether the antenna is 12' or 20,' I doubt the new owners will be interested in installing new equipment. It will be hard to file a complaint about not getting illegal signals that were promised by another company. I don't know how a judge can tell a company it is required to pirate signals.

Remember, Telecable still has CNN and even CNN in HD. Back in 2010 or 2011 first the US and then Canada converted from analog signals to digital signals. A short time thereafter, Mexico while keeping the old analog system that the US and Canada gave up added the digital system. And if you upgrade to the digital method here in Mexico, like you had to do in the US and Canada your channel numbers start at 101 and go up to 999.

You have many more channels to choose from in various packages and yes they have CNN in Esp., CNN in both standard definition and in HD and they have CNNI where the I stands for International (English news feeds from many places in the word and includes some programming from CNN.

What they don't have in the digital package are the 4 US network channels added to your lakeside analog feed from the US, channels 84,85, 86, and 87

WAIT A MINUTE HERE!! When I paid (14 months for 12) in September, they ASSURED me there was no problem with "the change". Now you have me really worried as they also said "no refunds"...........

Advice Spencer, or anyone who knows?

In that case you will continue with the Telecable service. When those 14 months are over you can either continue with the Telecable service or change to the new Izzi service.

There are many folks here who only have Telecable because of the ability to get 84-87 in English and should that change most of us will no longer see the need for Tele-Izzy whatever so they can say goodbye to several thousand customers. I have been to the Riberas office several times lately to complain and the last time I was there I asked when my discount would begin since I am not getting all that I pay for. All I got was a blank stare and a shrug of the shoulders. The local employees obviously have no control over these issues and I'm sure they feel bad but unless people complain nothing will change.

channels 84-87 are not even listed on the website of Telecable, so officially you aren't paying for them so you cant get a discount to it. As stated, Telecable is passing these channels illegally as per law they are not even allowed to pass these channels so it is more kind of extra free service as long as they don't get too many problems with it. Every official complaint to profeco or asking for discount will only turn into shutting down those channels permanently as that is the most easy way for them to fix it. I doubt it will be thousands, more likely hundreds or even tens who have telecable only specially for those channels only. And for Izzi which is part of Televisa they wouldn't even notice that loss of subscribers.

In that case you will continue with the Telecable service. When those 14 months are over you can either continue with the Telecable service or change to the new Izzi service.

I'm sorry, ednet94, but I don't understand. If Telecable has been bought out by Izzi, then how would one continue with Telecable???

I'm sorry, ednet94, but I don't understand. If Telecable has been bought out by Izzi, then how would one continue with Telecable???

They continue respecting current contracts with telecable as Telecable will continue exist as seperate company with Izzi as owner, they didn't put a date yet when telecable will brought down yet and it is rumoured Telecable will continue exist even when Izzi started. And as long they don't decide to bring down the telecable service which will be at least until all those 12/14 months contracts are over you will/can continue using your Telecable service. This also happened with all the other companies Izzi bought the last 2 years before the Telecable buyout. You continue have your internet/tv/telephone package you used to have until you decide to change it.

That puts me at ease for the moment! Thank you, ednet94.

We only have the basic TV package -- not phone or internet. Ands that MIGHT explain why the lady in the office told me, when I checked the price in mid-Sept before actually going in to pay, that the "old" price and "14 for 12" deal was only good until the end of September, and afterwards the price would be going up.

Will be interesting to see what develops.....

• 2 months later...

I'm bringing up an old thread here. Telecable is putting in a new cable on my street of San Antonio. In the past I've heard such mixed recommendations for them that I've resisted the temptation to sign with them. I'm mainly interested in their internet service.

Is there any word out on how this new ownership is effecting service or reliability? Have people with new cable received improved services?

I'm up for renewal and I'm seriously considering passing on it. Interesting that like Pete, ours expires at the end of December but whereas in past years Telecable contacted me to ask if I wanted to renew, haven't heard a thing from the new people.

Another interesting question is how the switch to digital in Mexico will affect the service. In Texas when the analog was turned off, my relatives' cable service switched to digital at no extra charge. For old, incompatible TVs they provided very compact and unobtrusive converters with remotes at no charge.

Haven't heard a darned thing from the new owners about anything here. Some channels have disappeared, overall the signal is pretty poor.

For sure if they want to charge me more money for this service I'll pass.

Has anyone been in the office lately to hook up or renew and what did you find out?

Archived