Chapala.com Webboard

driving from Nogales Arizona to Ajijic

palmajeank

I would love to know of great places to stay (motels or hotels) that take little dogs on the drive down from Nogales to Ajijic. We would like to drive only during the light hours up to 6 hours at a time. If you have a great route and great places to stay and eat please let me know. We will be leaving a day or two before Christmas and arriving hopefully by Jan 1st. Thanks!

Be reminded that, a day or two before Christmas, "everybody and his/her brother" will be crossing the border and heading south. Plan on long lines at border crossing if you have to stop. Also, getting into a motel along the way might be dicey so your plan on stopping early might be a good one.

Sorry, can't help you with pet motels.... but 'no-tell mo-tels' seem to be a good alternative for some.

If you get an early start out of Nogales, first night in Navojoa at the Best Western Del Rio. It is on your right as you enter town from the north. You round a curve to the right and there it is. Stay near the office for best Wi-Fi and the restaurant on site is good. Second night in Mazatlan at Los Arcos. Enter town from the north side and go south on the main drag, going around the Marina. Couple blocks north of the Malecon, take a right to get to the street next to the beach and Los Arcos is there, beachside. You can reserve the Best Western in advance on BW's website. You can try them in advance, Google the number. Warning: All Mexicans from the cities go to the beach for Christmas.

Thanks for the tips to both of you. I wrote down the name of the two hotels. I was thinking we might only make it to Guaymas the first day. Then to Navojoa or Los Mochis. Is Los Mochis anything? From there on to Mazatlán and then Tecuala. We were hoping to not drive more than 6 hours on any given day. Is that a silly idea? Anyone been to Tecuala? Critiques are welcome. We have never driven down on the mainland in Mexico. We lived in Nicaragua and drove all over there and Europe so we are used to driving in Foreign (to us) places. Just want to not kill ourselves (being in our 60's) with too much driving in one day.

This is what I've mapped out and think might work for us. Tucson to Guaymas, Guaymas to Los Mochis, Los Mochis to Tecuala, Tecuala to Ajijic. If anyone has any knowledge of these towns or motels to stay in or suggested eating spots. Please let me know. I don't think with our backs, we can drive 8 hours. I really do appreciate your help!

You may find that stopping at Guaymas will be too soon... probably only 4.5 hours on the tollroad. Navajoa is a more likely place to stop at about 6.3 hours from the border. Use Tom's Best Western recommendation. From there, Culiacán is close to 5 hours and there are places to stay there for sure. Mazatlan the next day at around 6 hours.

You will find that 15D toll highway is good and you will probably make better time than you may think, even without killing yourself.

Good travels!

Navojoa to Culiacan is only little over 4 hrs. We do Border to Navojoa and then... Navojoa to Mazatlan is only 6hrs or perhaps tiny bit more. But both of these have lots of places to stay. Mazatlan to Ajijic is again about 6hrs. Roads are very good. This spring there was a road construction in Sonora. Hopefully it is done by now. We will be heading that way very soon.

Thank you everyone for your input. I am so excited to get back down to Ajijic because of people like all of you. As I have calculated everything it looks like we would be staying the night in Tucson before heading to the border that is why we will only make it to Guaymas the first day. We will then go to Los Mochis, so I appreciated the tip about the Zar hotel. From Los Mochis to Mazatlán and then on to Ajijic. I sure hope the construction is over by mid December. I hope the hurricane didn't do too much damage inland either. Thanks again, everyone!

The Azteca in Mazatlán is a favorite for Arizonans travelling with dogs. It's on the more northern side and an easy reach off of the 15 through town. $860 pesos the last time we stayed there in 2013.

• 4 weeks later...

I do the Nogales-Ajijic trip in 3 days during the winter, with my dog. I limit driving to 6 hours so the first night is in Cuidad Obregon. Right on the north-heading highway through town on the left side is the pet-friendly Yori Inn. Rates are about $600 mn ($900 if they know about your dog) .

The next day I have enough time for a leisurely breakfast before heading south to Mazatlan.

The first Mazatlan exit off the autopista driving south is the Beach and Marina exit. Get off there if you are going to stay where I stay, at the Azteca Inn along the beach road. The rates are about the same as the Yori Inn. Then the final day is 6 hours to Ajijic. Good luck.

Thank you everyone for your input. I am so excited to get back down to Ajijic because of people like all of you. As I have calculated everything it looks like we would be staying the night in Tucson before heading to the border that is why we will only make it to Guaymas the first day. We will then go to Los Mochis, so I appreciated the tip about the Zar hotel. From Los Mochis to Mazatlán and then on to Ajijic. I sure hope the construction is over by mid December. I hope the hurricane didn't do too much damage inland either. Thanks again, everyone!

We only got to Guaymas the first night after leaving Tucson. We also had a dog in the car, and weren't in any particular rush. I wish I could remember the name of the hotel we stayed at, sort of a "faded jewel" place that had once been an important hotel, but had lost it's luster, for sure. But it was fine for our one-night needs. Just as you were entering the town you would turn to the right to head to the water. We just walked into that place without reservations, with the dog, and they accepted us.

I wish I could remember the name, but it's been too long.

From there we got all the way to Mazatlan, stayed at the previously mentioned Los Arcos….did two nights there with the dog just to get a beach fix….then drove all the way to Ajijic the following morning.

The way you've broken up the trip will work perfectly. Play it by ear to some degree. If you get slowed down or delayed and just feel like stopping for the night, do it! Just keep your eye on the map for the next available overnight pitstop. You have the entire list of easy and best possibilities.

Have an easy, safe and fun drive.

There is a great old hotel in Guaymas called Hotel Playa de Cortes. It was so good we didn`t want to leave, we stayed 2 nights! As you first come in Guaymas there is a huge sign, take the first right. It is on the bay with a beautiful view. Best though, to Google it and find it on a map.

In Los Mochis, it`s Tres Rios. Beautiful old/new place with a pool.

Don`t know about dogs. You`d have to call.

We did the drive in late October of this year and stayed with friends in Hermosillo our first night. We were planning to push through to Mazatlan the next day, but highway construction and one-lane detours throughout Sonora slowed us down considerably.

Ended up staying at the Hotel City Express in Los Mochis. It was $750.00MXN for the night and there were not pet surcharges for our dog!

Parking lot had 24/7 security guard and the price included a full breakfast buffet for two adults the next morning. Highly recommended as an overnight option if you are travelling with a dog and get stuck in Los Mochis!

Archived