Chapala.com Webboard

Opthamologist at Lakeside

Zira1

Dr. Rigoberto Rios 766-1521. His office is in Plaza Montana, Ajijjic. Highly recommended by a lot of people on this board and I know he does glaucoma tests.

This info is much appreciated...Tks

Dra. Monica at the Dermika Clinic (in the plaza to the west of the El Torito Plaza) also has excellent equipment and knows how to use it.

I can tell you that she is the only one that I would go to because I have been to two others in the area and one used his thumbs to tell me my pressure was OK and another used a hand held piece of equipment (with shaky hands) and my head held backward at an awkward angle.

I have NOT been to the Opthamologist recommended above so cannot give an opinion.

I have had glaucoma in both eyes for about 12 years now and have been going to Opthamologists since I was three.

BTW, a full examination is so reasonably priced here that, if you consider your eyes to be precious, go see both and make up your own mind....especially if you plan to be here long term.

I have been diagnosed by Dr. Rios, I also went to another "Ophthalmologist" here, and it was the worst eye exam I have ever had. I worked almost 30 yrs as a ophthalmic technician, and was incredibly shocked at that exam. Dr. Rios, in my opinion, is a brilliant diagnostician, with the current equipment and experience.

I have been diagnosed by Dr. Rios, I also went to another "Ophthalmologist" here, and it was the worst eye exam I have ever had. I worked almost 30 yrs as a ophthalmic technician, and was incredibly shocked at that exam. Dr. Rios, in my opinion, is a brilliant diagnostician, with the current equipment and experience.

Agreed. I had a cataract that was missed for months by another doc. here. I even asked for a check to make double sure the vision problem wasn't a cataract..... I spent over half a year thinking that I was going blind with no recourse. Dr. Rios caught it within 2 minutes. He is very good.

May I ask where Dr. Rios was located before? He hasn't been in that location for very long (the Herbalist that is now located opposite Superlake was there before Dr. Rios)

I have a friend who also swears by Dr. Rios and had surgery done on both eyes. He's happy.

Sounds like an excellent addition to Lakeside.

I will have to go and check him out.

He has a large clinic in Guadalajara and performs surgeries there. He provides transport, so it's very convenient.

Around the beginning of last year, he decided to buy a house here in Lakeside. Then since he was here, he decided to open an office. He splits his days between Guad and Ajijjic. This is my understanding of the story. The facts may differ a bit on timing, but it's substantially accurate. So the office in Plaza Montana is his first one here, but he's very experienced.

Dr. Rios - very thorough. Had an exam done by him about 8 months ago mainly to get new prescription glasses. Then went to Houston to a doctor who specialized in glaucoma and their exams concurred. Having trouble seeing out of my right eye and they both said cataract is developing. Both did a state of the art pressure exam for glaucoma and a complete exam on retina, etc. Rios can also do the purple - yellow field of vision test to see if you've lose perimeter sight.

Archived