Chapala.com Webboard

Excellent New Ajijic Centro Restaurant

tombo

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Besides being about cleanliness and ambiance, it's also about the law: No smoking, no dogs.

Law? What law? We gringos don't pay attention to no steenking law? We're ENTITLED.

....and so on, and so forth. And we wonder why Mexicans have some negative feelings about foreigners who move here.

Maybe it's because the entitled people having the attitude: "I'll do what I want and I don't care about anyone else".

It is true that the restaurant owners are intimidated into allowing the dogs in. I spoke with one of them after two patrons brought two large dogs (one a pit bull) and were seated at the the next table to me. The owner said he didn't want them there, but was too uncomfortable to ask them to leave.

It's interesting to note that it's nearly 100% foreigners who do this.

Now, what about the food? There's always take out for those who are human-centered.

You are totally right we do have take out. :D. We havent had any complaints yet of costumers about dogs but we will make sure this doesnt become a problem to anyone.

We only allow dogs in the patio area not anywhere else.

Many of those foreigners have been told to, “go home“, more than once. Sadly, they don‘t know enough Spanish to understand the suggestion. :mellow:

Not in our Restaurant ;) you are all welcome. Mi casa es su casa.

I liked the Chile Relleno I had there the other day. The chipotle salsa they brought with a plate of chips was good and interesting, too.

Now this is a coment we like to read (not that complaints arent welcomed)

Chiles Rellenos (beef or cheese): $60 pesos.

Roasted, fresh poblano pepper (a mild chili pepper named after the city of Puebla) covered in an egg batter, bathed in tomato salsa, served with rice and beans.

12227062_1070434822996607_29416369890046

That's because they are in Mexico and have left some of their intelligence at the border, and besides it's Mexico and we are not required to be as civilized here as we would be NOB. A total lack of class. "They" need our business so "I" will do as "I" want.

No complaints? I think most people would do as one poster said, " I complain with my wallet and my feet".

"Dogs in Restaurants - Yes? or No?"

Seriously? The dog debate again? Can't it go to a separate, devoted thread? This new restaurant, Santos Ricos, has a great location, a nice space, very reasonable prices, and they're just starting out. The whole "new restaurant" discussion has gotten lost on the dog topic.

They are BRAND NEW. They'll figure out what they want their dog policy to be. Many other restaurants in town struggle with the same issue. Some allow dogs, some don't. Take your pick.

It just seems completely unfair to saddle a brand new restaurant with this issue while they are trying to get things started.

So. I REALLY liked the chile relleno a few days ago. (And I'm very picky about chiles rellenos.) I liked it so much I asked some people at the next table what they had, because it looked interesting. They seemed happy, too.

¡Provecho!

That's because they are in Mexico and have left some of their intelligence at the border, and besides it's Mexico and we are not required to be as civilized here as we would be NOB. A total lack of class. "They" need our business so "I" will do as "I" want.

No complaints? I think most people would do as one poster said, " I complain with my wallet and my feet".

It depends how you look at it. For me it is much more civilized to be able to take dogs into restaurants and many other places. Uncivilized is not allowing dogs in restaurants. It has nothing to do with intelligence or class-maybe the opposite. If you don't like it complain with your wallet.

Unfortunately, voting with our feet is all we can do, but it punishes the restaurant owner, who has probably been intimidated by the “entitled snobs“ who feel they can dictate their wishes in spite of the law and common sense; both of which should serve to prevent dogs in restaurants; even on the patios where other diners eat. We are dog lovers, but have never considered taking dogs to restaurants. When traveling, we use roadside stands or room service; considering it uncivilized to do otherwise.

Unfortunately, voting with our feet is all we can do, but it punishes the restaurant owner, who has probably been intimidated by the “entitled snobs“ who feel they can dictate their wishes in spite of the law and common sense; both of which should serve to prevent dogs in restaurants; even on the patios where other diners eat. We are dog lovers, but have never considered taking dogs to restaurants. When traveling, we use roadside stands or room service; considering it uncivilized to do otherwise.

The dog issue came up early in the thread when someone asked if it was "dog friendly" which translates into whether the owner allows people to bring their dogs there, or not. Naturally, the pros and cons were inevitable, and have come up often enough on this board that it doesn't need a separate thread. Opinions are entrenched, and like the leash issue, hardly anyone seems to care what the law is.

It doesn't matter whether the restaurant is old or brand new. The owner has to make a decision about what he allows, or not.

How anyone can claim that it's "more civilized" to have dogs in restaurants is way beyond me. "Civilized" usually means being considerate of others. The Entitled Ones obviously don't give a spit about others. Life is All About Them and their wants.

I've had dogs in my life and thoroughly enjoyed their company. I fed them well.......at home, and it wouldn't ever have occurred to me to take them to a restaurant.

My patronage and that of many others will depend on what decision he makes. I wish him well. His menu sounds delicious.

Here in PV the only people I have seen bringing dogs to restaurants are ferners. On the other hand, the only people I have ever seen trying to walk away from a beach restaurant with a returnable beer bottle are Mexicans. Different strokes.

Food, people and dogs don't mix well in a restaurant setting. Many of these ferners seem to bring fido in and then look for compliments from other diners. Sick!

It depends how you look at it. For me it is much more civilized to be able to take dogs into restaurants and many other places. Uncivilized is not allowing dogs in restaurants. It has nothing to do with intelligence or class-maybe the opposite. If you don't like it complain with your wallet.

It sure does depend on how you look at it. How many other (many) places do you take a dog(s) that fits into your mold of civilized behavior?

Do you drop into anyone's house with a dog, to your place of work, PTA meeting, or a thousand other venues.

So that's your idea of civilized behavior, well this is Mexico and our civilization is considered Mexican, and that doesn't include taking dogs into restaurants.

It does have to do with intelligence, as any thinking person moving to Mexico from a different country wouldn't have to be too bright to see that that is not the way "civilization" here thinks or acts. Not recognizing the norm in the environment where you live, IMO is also lacking class.

I will, complain with my wallet, but since this is a board for opinions, I will complain here also.

mmmm... well I thought this thread was about food in a new restaurant. Dogs.. Sorry we do not serve Hot dogs-.

It’s a nice read to see all your opinions and comments. You both have points. And it’s very true some of you will complain with your wallets. And that is understandable 100% we wouldn’t want you to feel uncomfortable with a Dog next to you if you do not like that.

But we also look forward to having people (who some consider their mascot as part of the family) to feel at home when they visit us.

We have been open for a month and we thanks all your feedback and look forward to serving you and making you feel welcomed at our place. But in all honesty this discussion has become more about culture, rules, dogs, intelligence, and being civilized than about the new restaurant and food. There is a thread about dogs in this very section I think that the discussion would make better sense there than here, but thanks for making us think about what you believe is right or wrong in the matter of Dogs. We will take this feedback and the feedback from the clients who are actually coming to the restaurant into consideration about the topic.

So who’s up for some coffee too?

Santos Rico Coffee: $60 pesos.

Drink prepared with a shot of espresso, Baileys, Khalua, steamed milk and cinnamon powder.

12278901_1071293699577386_77770104732951

Santos, your best bet is to post your announcements in the formal restaurant announcement section.

The only other place I've been where I'd see dogs in restaurants is in the English countryside. Don't recall seeing them in either London or Bath. Usually big dogs too.

Really, how tough is it to leave the dog at home for a few hours?

We dont have that option at the moment, but its a great idea we will get some for when someone asks for it we can provide it.

LOL! You'd have to search history here to see the huge number of threads about salted butter.

In the meantime, since allowing dogs into restaurants is illegal, I don't see any point in the discussion.

Ah so the food... yes food....

Are there any outstanding non-spicy (no pepper to burn mouth/stomach) dishes that others here would recommend.

Any soup or sopa de dia?

So difficult to search for food reviews when people ? take a topic off thread...

I was so excited thinking there were three pages of food reviews on a new restaurant... silly me.

Archived