Chapala.com Webboard

Excellent New Ajijic Centro Restaurant

tombo

Yesterday we had our second excellent and inexpensive meal at a just-opened restaurant/cafe/gallery in Ajijic Centro. We recommend it! It’s located in the gardens of La Peña de Santos Rico Centro Cultural at Constitucion #16, between Colon and Castellanos (Corona), about a block from LCS. The folks at this family-run place help you feel right at home. The mom, Imelda Orozco, formerly chef at La Una, prepares classy traditional breakfast and dinner entrees between 8 and 5, every day except Tuesday. The lengthy drinks menu includes espressos, chai, fresh fruit smoothies and juices, beer (local Berber micro-brew!) and wine. The place is beautiful—warm colors on the walls of the covered terrace where we eat, comfortable chairs (which is a big plus for me), paintings and sculptures by local artists. Quiet jazzy music and a gurgling fountain. On the way out, we stopped in at Alejandro Garza’s jewelry gallery and bought a nice bracelet.

post-51479-0-94492100-1445527028_thumb.j

post-51479-0-35881900-1445526941_thumb.j

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday we had our second excellent and inexpensive meal at a just-opened restaurant/cafe/gallery in Ajijic Centro. We recommend it! It’s located in the gardens of La Peña de Santos Rico Centro Cultural at Constitucion #16, between Colon and Castellanos (Corona), about a block from LCS. The folks at this family-run place help you feel right at home. The mom, Imelda Orozco, formerly chef at La Una, prepares classy traditional breakfast and dinner entrees between 8 and 5, every day except Tuesday. The lengthy drinks menu includes espressos, chai, fresh fruit smoothies and juices, beer (local Berber micro-brew!) and wine. The place is beautiful—warm colors on the walls of the covered terrace where we eat, comfortable chairs (which is a big plus for me), paintings and sculptures by local artists. Quiet jazzy music and a gurgling fountain. On the way out, we stopped in at Alejandro Garza’s jewelry gallery and bought a nice bracelet.

attachicon.gifSantos-Rico-Patio-lo.jpg

attachicon.gifSantos-Rico-MenuBoard-lo.jpg

Thanks for your visit, my casa es su casa

Could you give More location info,. Don't know whereLa Pena de Santos Rico Centro Cultural is

Constitución #16

12118919_1056995094340580_71068858883774

We went to the opening last week where they served a huge crowd and heard from many that the food was excellent. Does anyone know if it is dog-friendly??

yes it is dog friendly in the patio area.

• 2 weeks later...

I notice this place is getting it together as far as publicizing menu, hours, etc. They have a Facebook page at santosricoaxixic that includes the daily specials and complete breakfast, lunch, and drinks menus.

Could someone who is on Facebook bring that over here? Some of us are Facebook-averse, so it would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess that if people don't like dogs in a restaurant, they shouldn't go there! That'd show 'em

And just where did you get your sense of entitlement? Can you imagine what dining would be like if everyone brought a dog or dogs along? Fortunately, most people have better manners and realize that they aren't the only person on the planet.

Why the insistence on dogs in restaurants? Does that apply to churches, super markets, hospitals and a large number of other public places. Children know they can't take dogs to school with others to consider and rules to obey, but old adults think that that practice stops when once you become entitled. The norm is, people don't take dogs to restaurants, only those who don't respect the majority even if they don't respect the law. Most people pay good money to enjoy a meal without dogs about.

I wish there were more restaurants that only allowed humans with dogs to be patrons.

I apologize if my scarcastic post offended anyone but I didn't want to see this thread about a new restaurant going where it seems to be going....about dogs and not the restaurant!

Maybe it's because the entitled people having the attitude: "I'll do what I want and I don't care about anyone else".

It is true that the restaurant owners are intimidated into allowing the dogs in. I spoke with one of them after two patrons brought two large dogs (one a pit bull) and were seated at the the next table to me. The owner said he didn't want them there, but was too uncomfortable to ask them to leave.

It's interesting to note that it's nearly 100% foreigners who do this.

Now, what about the food? There's always take out for those who are human-centered.

What you say is true gringal about the intimidation but some restaurant operators won't be bullied and that's the one's I patronize. The question for proprietors to weigh is....do I gain more business by allowing dogs and their owners or do I lose more business because of the dogs, and then the questions of health and cleanliness, people with allergies to animals, and the lack of ambiance said animals create.

If I owned a restaurant......no dogs or animals.

Archived